PDA

View Full Version : Nav screen without the nav?

drewmvshs
10-27-2004, 09:30 AM
If I install a nav screen in my 528i, but dont install the navigation....what will show up on the screen and/or what would I need to get in addition to the screen to do the install to make it work? thanks. :dunno:

gojira-san
10-27-2004, 09:40 AM
I am not an expert on this, so you probably need to search around on the board. I don't believe anything will show up unless you have the nav box and/or the nav radio. To make everything work you need the nav box, the gps components, the nav radio and the appropriate cables. Again, search around on here and you'll get some more pointers.

alee
10-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Nothing will show up. Without a nav computer (trunk mounted), or a radio module (trunk module), or proper harnesses (running from the trunk to the head unit), it won't work.

drewmvshs
10-27-2004, 09:51 AM
ok thanks guys, I just like the look of the screen and would use it for radio and stuff like that, but dont wanna pay all the extra cash for a nav system when I would never use it.

Technic
10-27-2004, 09:56 AM
ok thanks guys, I just like the look of the screen and would use it for radio and stuff like that, but dont wanna pay all the extra cash for a nav system when I would never use it.

... you can just get the trunk radio with the front display (and appropriate harness) and it will work for only the radio.

drewmvshs
10-27-2004, 09:57 AM
how much is the trunk radio?

gojira-san
10-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah I think you could wire just a radio module in with the appropriate harness but it is a lot of cash to spend for the look.

I thought about putting the full nav in the 528 but I will probably take the cash and buy one of the big Garmin road GPS units - that way it can be moved from car to car.

Technic
10-27-2004, 11:15 AM
how much is the trunk radio?

The latest version is around $430.00 from www.bmwnav.com.

mottati
10-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I think it's the firmware in the nav computer that controls the nav screen. When I did the sirius retrofit on my M5, i needed the correct mk4 nav drive to get the sirius display on the nav screen. I don't think you'll get anything on the nav screen without the nav drive.
Mike

Tyrone
10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
You will need almost EVERY component you would purchase if you were doing an actual navigation retrofit. The navigation computer is not required, but if you forego the computer, you will absolutely require a video module.

Note that it will probably be cheaper just to buy an old MKII navigation unit off of ebay than to purchase a video module, so you'll come out ahead with the added bonus of navigation. Buying a radio module will not get you the graphics display. The navigation computer is the master graphics controller, unless a video module is fitted. You need one or both.

Now, some other factors come into play. Since you have a 528 without the on-board monitor, I will assume that you do not have the high on-board computer. Installing the monitor without a high OBC can cause some strange functionality, since this was never done by the factory. It should work (I have seen it), but you might not have a date and time display and the computer functions will be visible, but not able to be manipulated.

gojira-san
10-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Now, some other factors come into play. Since you have a 528 without the on-board monitor, I will assume that you do not have the high on-board computer. Installing the monitor without a high OBC can cause some strange functionality, since this was never done by the factory. It should work (I have seen it), but you might not have a date and time display and the computer functions will be visible, but not able to be manipulated.Just FYI to the original poster, Tyrone has put a lot of information in the high OBC upgrade thread if you want to see what that entails: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71978

That's another reason I will probably just buy a newer standalone GPS system. When I figure out the cost of doing a full nav upgrade + high OBC upgrade, I might as well buy the GPS and use the extra cash for other mods.