PDA

View Full Version : 2001+ LED lights NOT fitting 2000 E39

little740girl
10-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I am so upset you cannot imagine. I asked a few people, even called the dealership to ask if this was a straight swap or a retrofit, and they told me it was a straight plug and play. Then the connects didn't fit-- 60 dollars in special ordered parts, and now, they are saying that they flat out don't fit the car. WTF!? Is there a way to make them fit, or do I need to go throw the worst hissy fit in the history of hissy fits to the parts department at the dealership now for flat out LYING to me? :mad:

dagoo98
10-27-2004, 12:45 PM
I am so upset you cannot imagine. I asked a few people, even called the dealership to ask if this was a straight swap or a retrofit, and they told me it was a straight plug and play. Then the connects didn't fit-- 60 dollars in special ordered parts, and now, they are saying that they flat out don't fit the car. WTF!? Is there a way to make them fit, or do I need to go throw the worst hissy fit in the history of hissy fits to the parts department at the dealership now for flat out LYING to me? :mad:

I can tell you that I know for sure they aren't plug and play. I know if you order them from Bavauto they involve minor modification. You must drill two holes in order to make them fit. You also have to install the ballasts in the wheels well. In other words they may fit but they will require modification.

I'm not for sure that they are dealer direct or if they are different from Bavauto but I do know that they are the same exact look. They are probably identical which means you need to drill those two holes. I've information in many places on the internet, try and search and see what you can come up with. Maybe someone on the board can send you a link.

vexed
10-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Try this http://www.bmwdiy.info/celis-rear/index.html

little740girl
10-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the help. The retrofit seems tricky and more trouble than its worth. I'm currently seeing how much of the parts can be returned. Seeing that the connecters, and a few other parts, were special order, I'm not putting my hopes up that they will be.

I called up the parts department at Irvine BMW to stress my discontent. I spoke to the parts manager, once I told him the problem, he told me he was going to talk to one of his guys who was more knowledgeable on the subject, and came back on 30 seconds later to tell me, yeah, they won't fit, need to go aftermarket. I told him how of his guys said the opposite to me months ago, and just told him to talk to his guys and tell them not to give advice unless they are completely sure it is correct.

I didn't order the parts from them (who would, they want f'ing 50 dollars for a fog light connecter when my OEM parts source gets it for 36 shipped!) so returning them may be more difficult. The parts manager there was more than willing to help me return the parts, even though they were special order because his guy messed up. I'm crossing my fingers that BMA is as accepting of another person's mistake.

If I knew you had to drill into the car, I would have stuck with pre 2000 euro clear tail lights.

mottati
10-27-2004, 03:32 PM
So you're trying to put factory 01 led tail lights on an earlier e39? I tried this long ago, it involves some pretty significant cutting of metal, i posted my experience about this (somewhere?!) and ended up going with the hella kit, which involves some drilling and filling, but not a lot of cutting. it also has the ballasts etc needed and a wiring harness. Definately the way to go.
Mike

GriMpY
10-28-2004, 08:50 AM
if all else fails, you can go the route I went with. I didn't feel like drilling holes to fit the celis version so I purchased Depo red/clear tail lamps from pinnacleperformanceonline.com. It was only $160 or so shipped and it is plug and play. It is non led, but looks like the LED versions.