PDA

View Full Version : X3 or Acura MDX?

FireFly
10-28-2004, 08:27 AM
I think my wife has more or less narrowed her search down to an X3 or an Acura MDX.

Any input on the X3 vs. MDX keeping in mind that this if for my wife so the handling issues may not be an issue at all?

Thanks,
Joe

sfca-325i
10-28-2004, 09:09 AM
If handling is not an issue, then the question is whether ride quality is an issue. If handling is not top on her priority list, then I would opt for the MDX, altho the Pilot does offer a better value alternative (now that the 2005 has the sunroof).

flynhawaiian
10-28-2004, 10:07 AM
If you want a car that handles really well and car weave in and out of traffic really easy and is very responsive get the X3. If you want a cushy ride and no steering responce from the road and rubbery feel to the brakes get the Acura :violent:

If you care about neigther, than get the X3 cause its the perfect little SUV for all around use :)

nab777
10-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Have your wife test both cars. I remember when we were shopping for the wife's car, she tested quite a few of the japanese cars and the 325i. When she came to her decision, all the features did not matter, the ride did not matter, she just wanted the 325i. This was a '93 325i that I bought used in '97. This year we decided to replace that car and all she said was "I want the same car, no need for a test drive". She did not want to look at any make. I just sold the '93 325i and went and got the '04 325i, whe was not even with me when I got it.

songziou
10-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Mdx

b-y
10-28-2004, 10:22 AM
We drove them both. The MDX seems and looks bigger, and it is. But it hold less. In an urban/suburban setting there is a noticeable difference in trying to parallel park. Similarly, they feel very different on narrow rural roads. A few comparisons:
(Table columns need work) X3 MDX
Length(in) 180 189
Width(in) 73 77
Cargo vol. 71 50 (cubic feet, with seats folded)
Weight(lbs) 4001 4471
In addition to the handling question, which you want to avoid, also consider ride. You'll get three very different feels from the MDX, the X3, and the X3/SP.

Desertnate
10-28-2004, 10:42 AM
We drove them both. The MDX seems and looks bigger, and it is. But it hold less. In an urban/suburban setting there is a noticeable difference in trying to parallel park. Similarly, they feel very different on narrow rural roads. A few comparisons:
(Table columns need work) X3 MDX
Length(in) 180 189
Width(in) 73 77
Cargo vol. 71 50 (cubic feet, with seats folded)
Weight(lbs) 4001 4471
In addition to the handling question, which you want to avoid, also consider ride. You'll get three very different feels from the MDX, the X3, and the X3/SP.

The MDX held less? Was that with the third row seat up or down? I would have thought with the third row folded up you could hold much more in the MDX. With the third row up, the X3 would have much more space.

b-y
10-28-2004, 11:11 AM
:dunno: The 50 cuft was from cars.com. The Acura site says 82 cuft.

JakeInVa
10-28-2004, 03:50 PM
I test drove both vehicles, and decided on the X3 for a few reasons (in no particular order - #3 might be most important).

1. X3 is smaller than MDX - I have a tight garage and didn't need 7 seats.
2. X3 is sportier - more fun to drive. The MDX is built on a minivan (Odyssey) platform and drives like it - smooth, not as exciting.
3. When I looked at MDX, I said, "Oh, that's an ok looking car." When I looked at X3, I said, "Wow, what a nice car!".
4. Price dropped on '05 X3 3.0s - but X3 is still more expensive.
5. Loaner / included service on BMWs.

My thoughts...

--Jake

beowulf777
10-28-2004, 04:42 PM
I drove a Honda Pilot (which is basically a dressed down MDX) for nearly two years and thought it was a great car. When I switched out to the X5 I also shopped the X3. My preference at this time is as follows:

1) X5
2) Pilot
3) X3

If you are looking for more utility go for the MDX.

alpinewhite325i
10-28-2004, 05:41 PM
I haven't driven either of them.

Based on looks / reputation, I'd pick the Acura.

Dr. Phil
10-28-2004, 06:08 PM
For me I went X3 for smaller size and sportier drive. If I were to be getting one for say a wife, I would probably go to the MDX. The interior is plushier IMO, more casual of a drive, better bang for the buck (if you don't care about the drive) and more hp for the soccer team hauling.

mkh
10-28-2004, 06:18 PM
I'll be very honest. If this is for YOU, and I assume you are a car enthusiast like us, get the X3. Don't look at the interior or other concerns. Just concentrate on your driving, and you'll be very happy. If this is for your WIFE, and I assume she is a normal housewife, get the MDX. She'll get better interior, more comfortable ride, more feature, better reliability, and pay less. The above comment on the cargo volume is definitely wrong. With the MDX's 2nd and 3rd row fold down, the X3 is not even close.

FireFly
10-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the info. My wife is in the zone for what BMW is targeting for the X3 market. She's your typical 28 year old urban professional with no kids.

I have a feeling she'll go for the X3 just because I have a BMW and she really wants one. We looked at the Pilot and although I like it, she is not thrilled with the interior (no black leather) or the exterior. And to make matters worse, she has seen the trailer for the new OC series and what are they driving? An X3 :)

This weekend she'll drive the MDX and the X3 (3.0) back to back and she'll decide. The two are not that far off in price with the 05 X3 coming down a tad bit but for the price of the X3 I think she get get similar features + Nav in the MDX.

Thanks again.
-Joe

newdad
10-29-2004, 08:40 AM
the new OC series and what are they driving? An X3 :)

who are driving an X3? the kids or the parents?

FireFly
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
who are driving an X3? the kids or the parents?

Kids :) Spoiled brats :D

LeMansX5
10-29-2004, 06:53 PM
If you want driver control -> go with X3 3.0 or better X5 3.0 for that kind of money

But if you want smooth cushy ride and cool voice comand based accurate navigation go with MDX.

ProcyonB
10-30-2004, 01:16 AM
MDX is a great all-around vehicle, but it will get boring compared to the X-series vehicles. I had a Pilot and shopped the MDX, X-5 and X3. My preference, and that of my wife:

1. X3
2. X5
3. Pilot
4. MDX

MDX and Pilot are virtually the same car, so spending more money on one for the snob appeal seemed, well, snobbish.

FireFly
10-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Well we drove the 3.0 X3 and MDX back to back today.

The MDX was first on the list and without a doubt, the interior is hands down better than the X3. The seats are more comfortable, the dash is better looking and the Nav is seriously cool. The ride on the MDX was exactly how I thought it would be: Smooth ride, comfortable but a bit boring. Exterior of the MDX is just so-so.

The X3 with the 3.0 seems night and day compared to the 2.5 and I will give the X3 the edge over the MDX on acceleration. It just gets up and goes to 75-80 with less effort.
But the interior in the X3 is still stark for a vehicle in the high 30's, low 40's. Why couldn't they just put in an interior like Acura or Lexus? It would attract so many more people.

The handling of the X3 is nearly identical to my 330xi and you sit more or less the same height above the road in both vehicles, which is quite a bit lower than the MDX.

The MDX is a 2004 and they are offering deep discounts on it. The X3 is a 2004 but we asked the dealer to compare prices on a 2005 which is coming in and I was a tad bit surprised that the 2005 sticker is priced $3k less than the leftover 2004. This makes no sense to me at all!

And to make matters worse, when we arrived home the local honda dealer called and left a message indicating that the 2005 Pilot with Nav is being discounted $3k. We already discounted the Pilot because of the boring interior but for $8-9k less than the others, it is tempting to me but not to the wife.

Dr. Phil
10-30-2004, 03:24 PM
The MDX is a 2004 and they are offering deep discounts on it. The X3 is a 2004 but we asked the dealer to compare prices on a 2005 which is coming in and I was a tad bit surprised that the 2005 sticker is priced $3k less than the leftover 2004. This makes no sense to me at all!

2005 X3s come with standard panoramic roof, the auto tranny is a free option and they kept the base price the same to attract more sales and to make the 3.0 only $1375 more then similar optioned 2.5.

They should have offered you the 04 X3 at near invoice.

FireFly
10-30-2004, 04:19 PM
2005 X3s come with standard panoramic roof, the auto tranny is a free option and they kept the base price the same to attract more sales and to make the 3.0 only $1375 more then similar optioned 2.5.

They should have offered you the 04 X3 at near invoice.

The fact that they included the roof and auto makes perfect sense. What did not make any sense is the fact that I was/am contemplating either the 04 or 05 and the 04 is priced higher. He did mention that incentives may come out Monday and thay may bring the price close to invoice. But even at invoice, I think the 05 with negotiating (maybe 1500 over invoice) will still be cheaper than the 04. Kind of crazy situation they will be in until the 04's are gone but the 05's are definitely priced right (compared to the competition) and will sell fast. After driving the 3.0 X3 I can say I am completely impressed with the ride and handling. It's quite the SUV yet it feels nothing like any SUV on the market.

Wife and I discussed over dinner and I think she's leaning toward the MDX but only because we already have a fun to drive 330xi in the family.

Dr. Phil
10-30-2004, 04:58 PM
The fact that they included the roof and auto makes perfect sense. What did not make any sense is the fact that I was/am contemplating either the 04 or 05 and the 04 is priced higher. He did mention that incentives may come out Monday and thay may bring the price close to invoice. But even at invoice, I think the 05 with negotiating (maybe 1500 over invoice) will still be cheaper than the 04. Kind of crazy situation they will be in until the 04's are gone but the 05's are definitely priced right (compared to the competition) and will sell fast. After driving the 3.0 X3 I can say I am completely impressed with the ride and handling. It's quite the SUV yet it feels nothing like any SUV on the market.

Wife and I discussed over dinner and I think she's leaning toward the MDX but only because we already have a fun to drive 330xi in the family.
Your pricing logic is right on target. I went with the 2004 because I did get invoice and I did get the money factor incentive .0007 so for a 2 year lease I did well IMO.

mkh
10-31-2004, 12:07 AM
Why couldn't they just put in an interior like Acura or Lexus? It would attract so many more people.
They could, and they did - The X5. In terms of luxury, I think the MDX is comparable to the X5 while the X3 is closer to the Pilot. But unfortunately, in both cases, BMW are quite a bit more expensive.

mkh
10-31-2004, 12:14 AM
As I mentioned earlier, your wife is smart and she made a right choice. :thumbup:

ProcyonB
11-02-2004, 11:24 AM
As I mentioned earlier, your wife is smart and she made a right choice. :thumbup:

Depends on the person ... the MDX is just plain boring to drive. We do not have any children, so we don't need a people hauler -- we want vehicles that can go (for instance, 140 mph on the autobahn is fun in an X3, and also fun in a lonely stretch of Arizona desert).

FireFly
11-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Well I am happy to say that it looks like we will soon be a dual bimmer family. My wife and I have talked it over it looks like she'll go for:

2005 X3
ZCW
ZPP
Moonroof
Step
Privacy Glass
Titanium Silver with either Teracotta (first choice) or Black interior.

The fact that BMW lowered the price of the 2005, Acura raising their price, the X3 having HDC (I use all winter on my 800ft driveway) and the awesome BMW sedan like ride in the X3 sealed the deal.

She is very excited about taking delivery of her new X3 and I'm also quite excited. Now I just need to go out and find a dealer who has what we are looking for.
Thanks for all the input and while we ventured away from BMW to look at other brands we quickly came back.

newdad
11-05-2004, 02:05 AM
...the new OC series and what are they driving? An X3 :)...
i saw no X3 last night. :( saw a bold placement of the new mustang tho. :confused:

FireFly
11-05-2004, 07:20 AM
i saw no X3 last night. :( saw a bold placement of the new mustang tho. :confused:

I noticed that as well. And the placement was followed up by a Stang commerical immediately afterwards.

You know how screwed up the OC trailers were last season well it looks like they are at it again. When they were advertising during baseball playoffs for this season they showed the kids driving the X3. Guess we'll just have to keep on watching.

newdad
11-12-2004, 07:24 AM
i believe i caught a glimpse of the new guy driving a BMW SAV with summer in it near the end, but dunno which one...

and summer's driving a what? 645 convertible? she's 16!

there's another bold placement of that new mustang...

FireFly
11-12-2004, 07:28 AM
i believe i caught a glimpse of the new guy driving a BMW SAV with summer in it near the end, but dunno which one...

and summer's driving a what? 645 convertible? she's 16!

there's another bold placement of that new mustang...

Only watched for a couple of minutes but I did see the new guy driving the BMW. Pretty sure it's the X3 but I could be wrong.

Wife picks up her 05 tomorrow morning. We can't wait :)

Got everything listed above with black interior, light birch wood, tow package and heated steering wheel.

paul3
11-13-2004, 10:29 AM
My wife has a 2003 MDX. She really loves it.

I have a 2005 X3 on order. When I get it, we can better compare.

However, checking with my wife she really likes
- Third row seats to carry kids friends to school
- Really easy to lift/drop the third row seat
- Ride is firm, but not too sporty.
- General layout of the interior works well with kids (11-14 years)
- DVD is great for longer drives
- She really likes the Acura service (vs Ford service she had earlier).

What I like is that the cargo space is just over 48" wide, and can carry a few peices of 4x8 plywood, sheetrock, etc.

Ulitmately, she should drive both and let HER decide. That way, whatever happens, her fault (er... I meant decision).

FireFly
11-13-2004, 11:21 AM
My wife has a 2003 MDX. She really loves it.

I have a 2005 X3 on order. When I get it, we can better compare.

However, checking with my wife she really likes
- Third row seats to carry kids friends to school
- Really easy to lift/drop the third row seat
- Ride is firm, but not too sporty.
- General layout of the interior works well with kids (11-14 years)
- DVD is great for longer drives
- She really likes the Acura service (vs Ford service she had earlier).

What I like is that the cargo space is just over 48" wide, and can carry a few peices of 4x8 plywood, sheetrock, etc.

Ulitmately, she should drive both and let HER decide. That way, whatever happens, her fault (er... I meant decision).

I will not knock the MDX- it's a great vehicle :) But my wife took delivery of her 2005 X3 today and all we can say is WOW! It's everything we were looking for and more :)
With no kids we don't have the 3rd row seating option and my wife was looking for something with a more sportier feel than her explorer and she certainly got it in the X3.

My guess is you and your wife will have plenty of things to like about both vehicles.
Enjoy.

petsounds
11-13-2004, 01:39 PM
We traded in our 03 MDX for our 04 X3. What else can I say?