PDA

View Full Version : 2001 540i versus 530i purchase decision

chicago-cubes
10-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I found a cosmo blk 530i Sport/Premium 43k miles for 26,900, three months on the warrenty. The owner let me drive it for the day and it was sweet. The delemma I have is that I also found a 540i 47,5 miles for what market shows is a sweet price of 29,900; one month on the warrenty.

One is from a private local party who bought it at a wholesale auction (he is aa Beemer freak with ties to a dealership) the other a CarMart.

I read the feedback on the other threaed but was hoping you guys could share any insights on how theses '01 models compare. Thank you in advance for your feedback...

shabbaman
10-29-2004, 09:55 PM
I found a cosmo blk 530i Sport/Premium 43k miles for 26,900, three months on the warrenty. The owner let me drive it for the day and it was sweet. The delemma I have is that I also found a 540i 47,5 miles for what market shows is a sweet price of 29,900; one month on the warrenty.

One is from a private local party who bought it at a wholesale auction (he is aa Beemer freak with ties to a dealership) the other a CarMart.

I read the feedback on the other threaed but was hoping you guys could share any insights on how theses '01 models compare. Thank you in advance for your feedback...

Need more info. Which one is a private party and which one is Carmart. Does the private party have all maintenance records? Were there any interval oil changes?

Is the 540 a sport? Are they manual or automatic? Any other options on these cars (sunshade, PDC, NAV???)

The 540 is definately the better car but if it's the carmart car and you have proof that the 530 was meticulously maintained via records and receipts then the 530 would look like the better deal - especially if you can knock of another grand or so.

chicago-cubes
10-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Sorry for the lack of details....

the 530i is Cosmo Blk on Blk leather its from a private party but he's not the origninal owner. The present owner purchased it recently from BMW financial auction. He's a local who buys and sells Beemers often and is switching this one out for an X5 he bought for winter. Plus I assume he does not want to get hit with the tab for the [up to $800] 50k service call. Research shoows it was serviced here locally and I can verify the service records. He's asking 26,900.

The 540i is Titanium Silver Metallic with Gray - Light Leather Interior from CarMart, they have the service docs through 47k and Carfax. CarMart is asking 29,900 firm.

They are both Sport/Prermium pkgs and stick very clean. Neither have NAV, or Sunshades. The 540i does have the disc changer in the trunk. Thats the only difference beyond the engine.

Anything else I should consider? Again...impressions and opinions are appreciated!

Soon to be ZHP
10-31-2004, 08:23 AM
Sorry for the lack of details....

the 530i is Cosmo Blk on Blk leather its from a private party but he's not the origninal owner. The present owner purchased it recently from BMW financial auction. He's a local who buys and sells Beemers often and is switching this one out for an X5 he bought for winter. Plus I assume he does not want to get hit with the tab for the [up to $800] 50k service call. Research shoows it was serviced here locally and I can verify the service records. He's asking 26,900.

The 540i is Titanium Silver Metallic with Gray - Light Leather Interior from CarMart, they have the service docs through 47k and Carfax. CarMart is asking 29,900 firm.

They are both Sport/Prermium pkgs and stick very clean. Neither have NAV, or Sunshades. The 540i does have the disc changer in the trunk. Thats the only difference beyond the engine.

Anything else I should consider? Again...impressions and opinions are appreciated!
The 530i 5speed are very hard to re-sell most people who buy manuals buy 3's or 540i's. In my opinion its a no brainer the 530 Man always felt under powered and the 330 felt much more rewarding. The value on the 540 is much stronger than the $3k extra you'll pay. Either way the sellers must move these cars before the warranty runs out or they'll loose $2-3k more.

shabbaman
11-01-2004, 02:19 PM
The 530i 5speed are very hard to re-sell most people who buy manuals buy 3's or 540i's. In my opinion its a no brainer the 530 Man always felt under powered and the 330 felt much more rewarding. The value on the 540 is much stronger than the $3k extra you'll pay. Either way the sellers must move these cars before the warranty runs out or they'll loose $2-3k more.

1) The 530i's sticks are no more harder to re-sell than any of the other E39 5er sticks. 2) When you are buying such a vehicle #1 should not be a consideration. Buy the car for your own enjoyment...not anyone else's.
3) 530i's are NOT underpowered nor does it feel underpowered. I guess I just drive mine different from other people :dunno: . I guess I'm the kind of person that feels that 540's and 545's are OVERPOWERED. Again, this is subjective and YMMV.
4) I do agree that 330's are more rewarding to drive and in this particular case for the $$$ the 540 looks to be a better value.
5)However if you were able to get the 530 for $25K then I'd pull the trigger on the 530. Car for car, the 530 is cheaper and easier to maintain.

chicago-cubes
11-01-2004, 05:37 PM
1) The 530i's sticks are no more harder to re-sell than any of the other E39 5er sticks. 2) When you are buying such a vehicle #1 should not be a consideration. Buy the car for your own enjoyment...not anyone else's.
3) 530i's are NOT underpowered nor does it feel underpowered. I guess I just drive mine different from other people :dunno: . I guess I'm the kind of person that feels that 540's and 545's are OVERPOWERED. Again, this is subjective and YMMV.
4) I do agree that 330's are more rewarding to drive and in this particular case for the $$$ the 540 looks to be a better value.
5)However if you were able to get the 530 for $25K then I'd pull the trigger on the 530. Car for car, the 530 is cheaper and easier to maintain.

Well, I called in today and made an offer of 24,500. The owner is sitting on the offer and I told him that my intent was to close on a car by Thursday. He commited to call me back in 24 hours to discuss further. I my plan is to hold stready at 25k.

Wish me luck and stay tuned..........

chicago-cubes
11-03-2004, 07:10 PM
I am the proud owner of a 530i....

thanks for all your feedback.

Ågent99
11-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Nice...I love my 530i/5. What an awesome car to drive across the US in...wonderful for vacations. I hit 32-33 mpg even doing 80 across Wyoming (visited Yellowstone) on my way to Colorado. No way is it even remotely underpowered. Of course, if you've ever driven an 8-banger BMW, you know it is quite powerful but I find that I don't miss it much. The 3 L six is a great compromise and I love the gas mileage. :)

Chris

liuk3
11-09-2004, 02:57 PM

Congratulations. I absolutely love driving my 530, and you got the car at a great price - much, much cheaper than I did I might add. I have had a great time learning about, driving, and working on my car. I've also met some great bmw enthusiasts and have really enjoyed the whole community in general. Congrats again. :thumbup:

FireWalker
11-11-2004, 08:50 PM

Congrats on a great car! :thumbup:
Now on to the mods!
If you are looking for an M-STYLE REAR LIP SPOILER, I have a brand new one in the box.
It looks like this when installed, let me know if interested.

dagoo98
11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Congrats on a great car! :thumbup:
Now on to the mods!
If you are looking for an M-STYLE REAR LIP SPOILER, I have a brand new one in the box.
It looks like this when installed, let me know if interested.

How much?

FireWalker
11-12-2004, 07:26 PM
How much?

Brand new in the box, $90 plus shipping.

Ghost Runner
11-13-2004, 07:52 AM
My partner has the 530i sport pack and I have a 540i six speed. In my view the 540i is a big step up in driving pleasure.
I suggest you test drive each and select your preference - then do a meticulous search for the best car at the best price – there are many on the market at any one time – find the one that’s right for you.
Good Luck

Joe

onutsguy
11-14-2004, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=shabbaman]

" 3) 530i's are NOT underpowered nor does it feel underpowered. I guess I just drive mine different from other people :dunno: . I guess I'm the kind of person that feels that 540's and 545's are OVERPOWERED. Again, this is subjective and YMMV. "

:confused: Overpowered?!? That's the most assinine comment I've seen in a long time. What awesome insight.
The 5 series cars are heavy. While the 6 cylinders certianly work fine and get you some cute gas mileage, they are far from inspiring in comparison to either V8.

Overpowered...............? That's not being subjective, that's making a really dumnass comment that just begs for a verbal spanking. :flipoff:

shabbaman
11-21-2004, 07:28 PM
:confused: Overpowered?!? That's the most assinine comment I've seen in a long time. What awesome insight.
The 5 series cars are heavy. While the 6 cylinders certianly work fine and get you some cute gas mileage, they are far from inspiring in comparison to either V8.

Overpowered...............? That's not being subjective, that's making a really dumnass comment that just begs for a verbal spanking. :flipoff:
My statement IS subjective. You're confusing SUBJECTIVE with OBJECTIVE. I guess that means you're a different kinda dumBass. :thumbup:

Let me get this straight. Your position is that consumers that spent in excess of $60000 on a new 540i were merely getting an 'ample' car? If I were to spend 60K on a car I'd certainly want it to be an overachiever. It IS overpowered. Are you offended that I said that? Is it a bad thing? Nobody else seemed to be offended by my comment. Most people that own or have driven the 540 know that it's an exhilerating car. That kind of exhileration requires a lot of power.

Do you think that you can bring your 540 even close to its' limits? I'm willing to bet that you can't even come close. Don't worry though, most people can't and that's ok...It's a lotta car. If you take the time to learn how to drive your car maybe you'll come to appreciate its' capabilities and respect its' tremendous limits and then you'll understand why I made the statement that I made.

By the way, there's nothng more inspiring than flying by a 545i or an M3 at 125mph in a big heavy stock 530i and seeing :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: on their faces as they get passed. Remember, my friend, it's not the car...it's the driver.

BahnBaum
11-21-2004, 07:49 PM
By the way, there's nothng more inspiring than flying by a 545i or an M3 at 125mph in a big heavy stock 530i and seeing :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: on their faces as they get passed. Remember, my friend, it's not the car...it's the driver.Ummmm, okay big guy. Whatever you say. :confused:

Alex

shabbaman
11-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Ummmm, okay big guy. Whatever you say. :confused:

Alex

Sorry Alex, I'm a little confused. What did you not undestand?

PropellerHead
11-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Sorry Alex, I'm a little confused. What did you not undestand?Allright boys. Take it to PM. This thread is locked.