PDA

View Full Version : I am confused!

AZGal
10-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Hello All
Its been exactly one week since I have the car and it has 650 miles on it . This is my first brush with cleaning a car by myself and am not sure where, what or how to begin. I have read many posts here some detailed some simple but finally I am back to square one.

So I have a Silver Gray exterior and black leathertte inetrior.
I need some help getting started with a simple cleaning process.
What do I need to buy and if possible please recommend which brand / from where?
-Clean the glass
-Interior
-Wheels
-Car exterior.

Never done this before :dunno: but feel that i need to take care of this one !! Want to start with something simple.
Would be thankful for all help!! :angel:

BahnBaum
10-30-2004, 02:35 PM
I'd recommend going to autopia.org and spending some time reading the articles in their learning section. Excellent stuff. From this link, look at the article listing on the left hand side....

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v1&c=16

Alex

NH-SHICKS
10-30-2004, 04:29 PM
I'd recommend going to autopia.org and spending some time reading the articles in their learning section. Excellent stuff. From this link, look at the article listing on the left hand side....

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v1&c=16

Alex

Exactly

The first thing I would do, would be to buy some nice car shampoo, dedicated bucket, sheep skin mitt, and some nice micro fiber towels. A lot of damage can occur from improper washing. Since you have gray, you are ahead of the game, dark colors like black are very difficult to keep looking nice.

another good link to get you started
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Steve

MMME30W
10-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Ms. Gal - Second the autopia link, I leaned a lot from it.

Not to repeat what they say, and if you search on the detail forum there are lots of threads and a lot of experts here, but my basic wash is:

- Soapy bucket, dedicated sponge/mitt, 0.50 walmart foam brush, do all four wheels (crazy 135Ms - argh!)
- Empty bucket, rinse with water, re-fill soapy bucket, different sponge/mitt, do roof, glass, then sides and then lastly rocker panels.
- California water blade to squeegy off all metal
- Miracle towel (fake chamois) to finish, then Costco mf towels on various crevices etc.
- For interior I use the aerospace protectant, think its 303 or something (too lazy to go look), for the leather I use Pinnacle.
- For glass if I'm feeling energetic I use Auto-Glym glass polish; but only 'cause I have a ton of it from living in the UK. It works great.

Good luck!!!

WILLIA///M
10-30-2004, 06:45 PM
www.zainostore.com if you like it shiny :D

AZGal
10-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Thank you sooo much !! :thumbup:
Think I have enough information to start of with will post when i am done with the cleaning.

RJ
11-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Hello All
Its been exactly one week since I have the car and it has 650 miles on it . This is my first brush with cleaning a car by myself and am not sure where, what or how to begin. I have read many posts here some detailed some simple but finally I am back to square one.

So I have a Silver Gray exterior and black leathertte inetrior.
I need some help getting started with a simple cleaning process.
What do I need to buy and if possible please recommend which brand / from where?
-Clean the glass
-Interior
-Wheels
-Car exterior.

Never done this before :dunno: but feel that i need to take care of this one !! Want to start with something simple.
Would be thankful for all help!! :angel:

I have black leatherette interior as well.

To clean the interior, I first use the vacume cleaner with the soft (round) upholstery attachment, being very careful (to avoid scratching) around the plexi front on the dials and the black interior plastic with the tool.

303 is good stuff to use on the interior, just do not spray directly. Transfer small amount on a soft cloth and then use it, again being very careful not to touch the soft interor roof lining material.

Hope this helps.

AZGal
11-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I made all the necessary preparations and cleaned my car on Saturday. It was an enjoyable experience actually contrary to what I had thought.
Found 2 places where the paint had chipped a teeny weeny bit . :(
And guess what its been raining here ever since Sunday...... :mad:
All my work down the drain :bawling:

Spectre
11-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, presumably the interior is still clean. :rofl:

iplayazi
07-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Do you use the 303 protectant on the seats as well as dash etc?
I have leatherette.

Thanks

RJ
07-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes, I do use the 303 protectant about twice a year on the seats. Apply lightly and buff it out with dry cotton towel. I think this gives me the UV protection I need when the car has to be left out in hot sun.

I have found this stuff in Zellers. All branches do not carry it. So you may have to search several locations. Otherwise check out either a camping supply or a boating supply store. Good luck.

icemanjs4
08-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Ms. Gal - Second the autopia link, I leaned a lot from it.

Not to repeat what they say, and if you search on the detail forum there are lots of threads and a lot of experts here, but my basic wash is:

- Soapy bucket, dedicated sponge/mitt, 0.50 walmart foam brush, do all four wheels (crazy 135Ms - argh!)
- Empty bucket, rinse with water, re-fill soapy bucket, different sponge/mitt, do roof, glass, then sides and then lastly rocker panels.
- California water blade to squeegy off all metal
- Miracle towel (fake chamois) to finish, then Costco mf towels on various crevices etc.
- For interior I use the aerospace protectant, think its 303 or something (too lazy to go look), for the leather I use Pinnacle.
- For glass if I'm feeling energetic I use Auto-Glym glass polish; but only 'cause I have a ton of it from living in the UK. It works great.

Good luck!!!

Sorry I have to disagree with a few points.
DONT USE THE California Water blade. If you get one little particle of dirt left on your paint, this will drag it across your paint and scratch it. There's a well known secret to drying the car perfectly every time. After washing your car, remove the nozzle from the hose. Let the free flowing water rinse off your car, sheeting most of the excess water off - you'll be amazed at how little water is left on oyur car after doing this. Then use a Waffle Weave Microfiber towel (such as the Big Blue II - do a google search). It literally sucks the car dry - and even after drying a whole car - you wont be able to squeeze a drop of water out of the towel. Best part is - unline fake chamois, you don't have to wipe at all - you just blot the towel on the car - Trust me - I was very skeptical on this before i tried it - now all my friends believe me.

The most popular glass cleaner i've learned from this board is "Stoner's Invisible Glass" - best part is - it's available at Wal-mart for about $3.50

And spring for some nice MF towels from PakShak or Griots, or somethign other than just costco. I agree with the rest of the above mentioned two bucket washing method.

africanrider
10-27-2005, 08:04 PM
You caused the rain...it alwayz happens...we hardly ever get rain here in AZ but as soon as I wash my car or help my buddy wash theirs, you can beat it will surely pour :dunno:

Good thing you had fun washing your car :D

I made all the necessary preparations and cleaned my car on Saturday. It was an enjoyable experience actually contrary to what I had thought.
Found 2 places where the paint had chipped a teeny weeny bit . :(
And guess what its been raining here ever since Sunday...... :mad:
All my work down the drain :bawling: