PDA

View Full Version : 99 528 Sport Steering...

JCLR
10-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi,

I know the suspension on this car is supposed to be stiff, but is the steering also supposed to be stiff? The car runs fine, but at times the steering feels heavy; a mechanic at local dealer told me the tires, 235/45/17 continental, make steering harder until they warm up...

thanks

kc5
10-31-2004, 01:19 PM
I have not noticed overly stiff steering in my '03 530i or previous '99 528i -- both with sport suspension. I've not noticed any difference in the steering effort when the tires are cold vs. warm. Feels right to me at all times.

Perhaps you have an issue with the power steering unit/fluid. I'm curious what others think.

JCLR
10-31-2004, 05:10 PM
I checked fluid and level seems o.k... guess i'll have to take in for service...

I have not noticed overly stiff steering in my '03 530i or previous '99 528i -- both with sport suspension. I've not noticed any difference in the steering effort when the tires are cold vs. warm. Feels right to me at all times.

Perhaps you have an issue with the power steering unit/fluid. I'm curious what others think.

shabbaman
10-31-2004, 09:48 PM
I checked fluid and level seems o.k... guess i'll have to take in for service...

When you say 'stiff', what are you comparing it against :dunno: ?

JCLR
11-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I drove a 99 528i before i bought the sport and it felt smooother; at times the steering feels hard, specfically at lower speeds, the sensation is of the steering wheel hardening up...

When you say 'stiff', what are you comparing it against :dunno: ?

shabbaman
11-01-2004, 03:06 PM
I drove a 99 528i before i bought the sport and it felt smooother; at times the steering feels hard, specfically at lower speeds, the sensation is of the steering wheel hardening up...

I have a 2003 so my comment my be a little off (compared to the 99) but the sport steering wheel on mine is a little smaller in diameter than the non-sport steering wheel so effort will be increased in proportion to the non-sport. Unfortunately, I don't know if your 99 sport wheel is smaller in diameter than the non-sport :dunno:

As far as wheels...I have 235/45/17's that I ride on is Summer and 225/55/16's that I run on in Winter and I can't tell if there's a difference in steering feel between them at low speeds.