PDA

View Full Version : I can't be the first with this problem!!

MaxTimeOff
11-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Just purchased a new BMW 645 with cream/beigh interior. Took euro delivery and I put about 800 miles on the car (awaiting re-delivery). During much of the trip I wore newer blue jeans. I noticed that the dye in the blue jeans transferred to the seats in various places. It is most noticable on the seat bolsters.

1. How do I clean off this blue jean dye from the new cream/beigh leather seats?

2. How do I stop the transfer in the future? (other than stop wearing jeans!!)

Thanks in advance.

Desertnate
11-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Just purchased a new BMW 645 with cream/beigh interior. Took euro delivery and I put about 800 miles on the car (awaiting re-delivery). During much of the trip I wore newer blue jeans. I noticed that the dye in the blue jeans transferred to the seats in various places. It is most noticable on the seat bolsters.

1. How do I clean off this blue jean dye from the new cream/beigh leather seats?

Thanks in advance.

I have heard of this before and was worried when I bought my Toyota with gray leather.

Hopefully, a good leather cleaner will get it out if a damp cloth and a little elbow grease won't.

A search here on leather products here will give you good info on choices. There are some leather guru's where who can give you good advice.

It's interesting you have this problem Alex Baumann (the mega moderator here :D ) has some VERY light colored leather in his Alpina, but mentioned once he has never had any dye transfer problems :dunno:

TOGWT
11-01-2004, 08:19 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Ink and Crayon stains
Some ballpoint ink stains can be sponged clean using 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover. If this doesn't completely remove the stain, the other alternative is to use Isopropyl alcohol (or a hairspray in an emergency) Townsend Leather™ Ink & Stain Remover will removes ink, lipstick, heel scuffs and other difficult stains from finished leather.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

MaxTimeOff
11-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Had the jeans been washed yet? Maybe always wash them before letting them in your car.

They were the really dark blue jeans however. Needless to say I'll wear my faded ones going forward!

nitram_luap
11-02-2004, 01:36 AM
I used BMW leather foam cleaner for this exact problem. I followed the directions on the can and the seats look new!

I have Nature Brown seats by the way.

Paul Martin
Australia

TOGWT
11-03-2004, 08:01 AM

Thanks in advance.

Dye Transfer:
The transfer of dyes from clothing and etc. can usually be removed by using:
1.A 5:1 solution (or stronger) of Distilled water /Woolite® or Dreft®
2.If this does not remove the dye use a general purpose cleaner (303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover)
3.Or a 5:1 (or stronger) solution of Distilled water / Isopropyl Alcohol.

Notes:
With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or lighten the surface and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.

Allow cleaner / cleaning solution to sit on the surface for a few minutes (do not soak the leather) and then remove the residue with a clean, damp micro fibre cloth. You may need to apply the above cleaners 2-3 times, if the dye has been on the leather surface for any length of time (especially if its been ‘heat’ dried by the sun) if may have become a permanent part (dye) of your leather. There may be nothing you can do to remove the stain, but re-dye (Leatherique) the leather a darker colour.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM