PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty Advice

Robert A
11-02-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm looking for some advice from the group. The factory warranty on my 530i is expiring now. I have 37k miles, and could very likely keep the car another three years.

Warranties in California are hard to come by -- the insurers have to be licensed by the department of insurance.

Warranty Direct offers a top quality exclusionary policy for around $2,200 up to 75k miles on the odometer and 4 years, zero deductible. It covers everything except typical wear-out items.

I'm not really concerned about major component failure (engine, manual transmission, etc.). These things usually hold up for a long time. My car's been pretty reliable these last four years anyway.

I'm more concerned about the complex electronics, the radiator, water pump, ABS system, leaks, suspension parts, you know the usual stuff.

What's the likelihood that I'd incurr more than $2,200 in repair costs these next 3 or 4 years with this car?

Your opinions are appreciated.

Ågent99
11-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Robert,

I picked up an all inclusive coverage from 1sourceautowarranty for $2500. My car is a hair over 50 k now and I'm good to 100k/4 more years.

Why don't you wait until 50k before doing anything. You are still covered for most stuff.

Chris

chicago-cubes
11-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Robert,

I picked up an all inclusive coverage from 1sourceautowarranty for $2500. My car is a hair over 50 k now and I'm good to 100k/4 more years.

Why don't you wait until 50k before doing anything. You are still covered for most stuff.

Chris

...being in the market myself, I did some research. :yikes:

I thought I'd share some info from consumer affairs .com http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_warranty/1source.html

Makes one wonder.....has ANYONE had a positive experiance with an extended warrenty?? :dunno:

Robert A
11-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Can't. My car is at the four year mark now.

Robert,

Chris

Ågent99
11-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Ah, well :doh: :ouch: I shoulda known that!

Let's hope that I don't have any major claims with my extended warranty. I know a few others who used the same place I did and well, so far, so good. time will tell....

Chris

1Dreamer
11-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Ah, well :doh: :ouch: I shoulda known that!

Let's hope that I don't have any major claims with my extended warranty. I know a few others who used the same place I did and well, so far, so good. time will tell....

Chris

I don't think there is a company in existence that hasn't gotten a complaint by someone. 1sourceautowarranty is supposed to be one of the best companies around with very good service so I'm sure you're fine. I was thinking about going to them this time too but talked myself out of it since I got a warranty last time and never used it. In fact, I'm on my 3rd BMW and never had a major problem of any kind which is why I keep getting them. Of course now that I've said this my car will probably blow up tomorrow. LOL

Agent 86. ;)

Paul A
11-11-2004, 07:14 PM
If there are specific things you're worried about you should check to see about the length of the original warranty. I was told that the onboard computers, for example, are warrantied for 7 years, not four. The computer on a 1990 535i I once owned lost its mind after 5 years and it was covered.