PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Chamois Recommendations

alpinewhite325i
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I need some recommendations for a synthetic chamois. My 10 yr old synthetic chamois fell into some freshly drained differential fluid and is now ruined. I don't recall the brand, so I need some suggestions.

How about the P21S Super Absorbing Drying Towel?

Weaselboy
11-03-2004, 06:29 PM
The Absorber is what you want. I've seen them at Pep Boys and Kragen.

WILLIA///M
11-03-2004, 06:41 PM
I have the Absorber and I keep it in the trunk to use in bird cr*p emergencies now. I just recently bought a couple of the Big Blue microfiber drying towels which are fantastic IMO.

bbkat
11-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I have the Absorber and I keep it in the trunk to use in bird cr*p emergencies now. I just recently bought a couple of the Big Blue microfiber drying towels which are fantastic IMO.
(as a confessed detailing slacker, and too lazy to search): are these better than 'genuine' chamois?

Kaz
11-03-2004, 07:52 PM
I was a fan of the Absorber... until I discovered microfiber. I have a waffle weave that works well, and recently bought a normal style but extra big and thick one that I'm going to try out.

alpinewhite325i
11-04-2004, 03:34 AM
I was a fan of the Absorber... until I discovered microfiber. I have a waffle weave that works well, and recently bought a normal style but extra big and thick one that I'm going to try out.

Do microfibers' hold more water?

jonw440
11-04-2004, 05:23 AM
I have two natural chamios, one absorber and they both have not been used since I bout "The ultimate Drying Towel from Autopia.
It dries ALL the water and is HUGE!! 25"x36".
Sonus Ultimate Drying Towel (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+yc5RwM+mf-200.html)
Here is a paicture of the towel on a Grand Prix GT to show the size of it.

BoyScout
11-04-2004, 09:49 AM
I have The Absorber which I got at Kragen. I think it works great. I have not tried any of the other products that were recommended, so I can't really compare.

From what I understand...yes, a microfiber towel will hold more water than a cotton towel.

Kaz
11-04-2004, 09:52 AM

Considering how thin my particular waffle weave is, it's amazing. Not as good as the absorber in sheer volume, though. But more than that, it's the way it wipes and how it leaves far less streaks to clean up compared to the Absorber.

WILLIA///M
11-04-2004, 10:28 AM
(as a confessed detailing slacker, and too lazy to search): are these better than 'genuine' chamois?

I think so for ease of use. I'd also have to concur with Kaz on the streak issue. Link where I got mine here. (http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html)

Godsogd
11-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Where did you get your Waffle Weave and what brand, KAZ? I've been looking for one as I have had awesome success in polishing my guitars with microfiber and wanna get set for when the weather improves up here.

HFPST5
11-04-2004, 11:18 AM
See, I've had my run-in with the Absorber---didn't like it. For drying I use the California Water Blade (works wonders! especially on the e60's very absent lines as opposed to using it on the 46 w/ its lines) and then Microfiber!!! very easy. Have yet to find a good Chamois..used to have one but its too old now :(

Kaz
11-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Where did you get your Waffle Weave and what brand, KAZ? I've been looking for one as I have had awesome success in polishing my guitars with microfiber and wanna get set for when the weather improves up here.

I got mine at a local detailing supply shop. It's not as nice as some of the other ones I've seen, though, If you don't have a place like that nearby, I'd recommend one of the online places that a lot of others here have used like Autopia or CMA.

Weaselboy
11-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes... Absorber is way better than chamois. Lasts far longer and no streaking.

BahnBaum
11-05-2004, 04:20 AM
If you rinse your car with a nozzle-less hose at the end, and just stream water on all the flat areas so that it sheets off, you'll have very little water left on it to dry. You can then use a waffle weave MF and dry it completely without ever getting close to reaching the MF's absorbency capacity.

I know the blade concept is similar, but I just have this thing about putting that sort of material on my paint....

Alex

alpinewhite325i
11-05-2004, 04:32 AM
See, I've had my run-in with the Absorber---didn't like it. For drying I use the California Water Blade (works wonders! especially on the e60's very absent lines as opposed to using it on the 46 w/ its lines) and then Microfiber!!! very easy. Have yet to find a good Chamois..used to have one but its too old now :(
A friend of mine uses the California Water Blade on a Saturn L and loves it. His car is basically a box though, so it's easy to use. Tried it on my car and didn't like it.

alpinewhite325i
11-05-2004, 04:33 AM
If you rinse your car with a nozzle-less hose at the end, and just stream water on all the flat areas so that it sheets off, you'll have very little water left on it to dry. You can then use a waffle weave MF and dry it completely without ever getting close to reaching the MF's absorbency capacity.

I know the blade concept is similar, but I just have this thing about putting that sort of material on my paint....

Alex
Interesting suggestion...never thought of using a nozzleless hose.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

alpinewhite325i
11-05-2004, 04:38 AM
IMO, synthetic chamois' are MUCH easier to use than a natural one.

When I tried a natural chamois, I spent more time trying to keep it from sticking together than I did actually drying my car.

Not to mention the smaller surface area and more $$$.

BahnBaum
11-05-2004, 06:12 AM
Interesting suggestion...never thought of using a nozzleless hose.

It's a common professional detailer's trick. Not that I'm a professional detailer.

Alex