PDA

View Full Version : Another Sport Seat Problem, ipod install, and need snow tires

scottcan
11-03-2004, 07:43 PM
I have another problem with my driver side sport seat. I noticed that the seat part of the seat at the back was not giving the back of my rear end very much support. Upon checking I noticed that the passsenger side sport seat has a firm section in the seat portion of the seat right below the spine. This firm section does not exist in my driver side seat. When I sit in the passenger seat I can feel the support at the back of my rear end. Could anyone with sport seats confirm that there should be a firm section in the seat as decribed above? I know it might be a nit picky issue but I will be taking long trips in my new X3 and want a comfortabe seat with the correct support.

Your help would be appretiated.

By the way I just installed (by myself) the BMW ipod adapter kit. Now I need to get the iopd! If uou have any questions just ask. Also need to get some snow tires. I have 18x8.0 rims on the front and 18x9.0 rims on the back. Any recommendations?

Scottcan
2004 X3, Premium, SP, 18" w/low profile tires, Xenon , BMW ipod connector

flynhawaiian
11-03-2004, 08:33 PM
I looked up on tire rack.com for you and came up with a recommendation for you... You may wish to call up your dealer and ask them for some additional recommendations...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Sport+M3&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=35VR8WSM3XL&fromCompare1=yes

Looks like the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are pretty good for the car.

As far as the seat, just adjust the lumbar support. If you still think there is a problem talk with the dealer, or ask him if you can sit in other X3's to see if you have a problem...

GL :dunno:

scottcan
11-04-2004, 12:50 PM
GL,

Thanks very much fro the recommendation. I have two different rim sizes, 18x8.0 on front and 18x9.0 on the rear. Will it be OK to put the 235/50VR18 tire you recommended on both the front and rear? This size is the current tire size on the front only. The rear tire size is 235/50R18. I don't care much about performance when I have the snow tires on but yet do not want to have the wrong sixe tire on the rear. It is hard to find a 235/50-18 snow tires.

Thanks,

Scottcan

flynhawaiian
11-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Funny you should ask, you might need to talk with the stealship about this one. Based on my calculations though 235-mm is 9.2520-inches. So the tires should fit the front and rear both equally. If you need a wider tire for the rear you could probably go with the 245/50R18's those are 9.65-in's wide. I would highly recommend talking with the stealership about this. Honestly, I am not sure what the V is denoting in the 235/50VR18.

BTW, I just looked up the #150 wheels on bmw's site and this is what they recommend for
the 18's...

18 x 8.0 front, 18 x 9.0 rear; 235/50R-18 front, 255/45R-18 rear performance tires2

So you might want to go with the 255????? You really need to talk with someone about this. I am kinda guessing here for you, but my guess would be to put the 235's on the front and the 255's on the rear. Dunlop only makes the 255/45-18 though, but they make a 245/50-18 and a 245/45-18 I would probably go with the 50's in the winter.

Additionally the Bridgeston Blizzak LM-22 with UNI-T have both sizes for your rims...

You might also want to look into the pirelli tires. Have you thought about buying another set of rims (knockoffs or something reasonable) for the winter months.

In all honesty I would put the Dunlop's on with a knockoff set of rims that were 18"x8.5" rims.

GL,

Thanks very much fro the recommendation. I have two different rim sizes, 18x8.0 on front and 18x9.0 on the rear. Will it be OK to put the 235/50VR18 tire you recommended on both the front and rear? This size is the current tire size on the front only. The rear tire size is 235/50R18. I don't care much about performance when I have the snow tires on but yet do not want to have the wrong sixe tire on the rear. It is hard to find a 235/50-18 snow tires.

Thanks,

Scottcan
:thumbup:

kyfdx
11-05-2004, 06:34 AM
GL,

Thanks,

Scottcan

I would look into getting a dedicated set of 17" rims for your winter tires.. By switching back to the stock set-up for winter, you will get better traction and also save a bunch of money on tires... 18" tires are on average about 40% more expensive than 17".

Also, you won't have to mount and re-mount your tires twice each year.

flynhawaiian
11-05-2004, 07:55 AM
I second that. Not only do you have to unmount and remount your tires, but they both have to be rebalanced at the time of doing so. If you get them balanced make sure to get them load balanced for the exact weight of the car with one of those new hunter machines. :bigpimp:

Good luck

I would look into getting a dedicated set of 17" rims for your winter tires.. By switching back to the stock set-up for winter, you will get better traction and also save a bunch of money on tires... 18" tires are on average about 40% more expensive than 17".

Also, you won't have to mount and re-mount your tires twice each year.

scottcan
11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
I like the idea of dediacted 17 inch rims for the winter. But what size tires? The stock 17 inch tires? I don't want to do a wheel alignment each time I go from my 18 inchers to my winter 17 inchers.

Thanks again for your help on this. :)

Scottcan

flynhawaiian
11-05-2004, 02:22 PM
4 17x8 Mille Miglia MM11-2 Sport Bright Satin Sil Paint In Stock $189.00 $756.00
4 235/55HR17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 Blackwall In Stock $156.00 $624.00

Plus mounting and shipping is 115.17 (thats to california)

Yields about $1,500

Which seems like a pretty good thing to me.

kyfdx
11-08-2004, 06:53 AM
I like the idea of dediacted 17 inch rims for the winter. But what size tires? The stock 17 inch tires? I don't want to do a wheel alignment each time I go from my 18 inchers to my winter 17 inchers.

Thanks again for your help on this. :)

Scottcan

You won't have to re-align or make any other adjustments.. Just go with the size that comes on the base 2.5.... It is a straight swap.. The 18" and the 17" have the same overall height... No problems at all.

Race
11-08-2004, 09:33 AM
How difficult was the iPod interface installation? Thanks
I have another problem with my driver side sport seat. I noticed that the seat part of the seat at the back was not giving the back of my rear end very much support. Upon checking I noticed that the passsenger side sport seat has a firm section in the seat portion of the seat right below the spine. This firm section does not exist in my driver side seat. When I sit in the passenger seat I can feel the support at the back of my rear end. Could anyone with sport seats confirm that there should be a firm section in the seat as decribed above? I know it might be a nit picky issue but I will be taking long trips in my new X3 and want a comfortabe seat with the correct support.

By the way I just installed (by myself) the BMW ipod adapter kit. Now I need to get the iopd! If uou have any questions just ask. Also need to get some snow tires. I have 18x8.0 rims on the front and 18x9.0 rims on the back. Any recommendations?

Scottcan

scottcan
11-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Not too difficult if you follow the instructions, BUT you have to request the instructions from the BMW parts desk when you pick up the kit. The hardest thing I had was figuring out how to get the radio out. The first thing you do is press down on the top of the vent housing ( thw vents above the radio). They will rotate out and will expose two screws you then have to remove to pull the radio out.

Good lick.

Larry

ApneaBlue
01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Ditto....How difficult was the IPod install? My buddy just got an 05 X3 and asked if I could install it.

x3man
01-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Ditto....How difficult was the IPod install? My buddy just got an 05 X3 and asked if I could install it.

I take it that the X3 doesn't have a navigation system so you can use the current iPod adaptor?

ApneaBlue
01-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I take it that the X3 doesn't have a navigation system so you can use the current iPod adaptor?

Correct. This has no nav, no XM, no frills...I will embark on the install journey this weekend so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have the pod accessory and it came with NO instructions. Just how to use the radio once everything is installed. I am guessing once I pull the vent it will be pretty straight forward. I noticed I will have to install half of a wiring harness...Where the heck does that go. Just trying to get as much info together as possible before I go taring into my buddies dash...FYI, I don't own the X3 :)

12thBMW
01-23-2005, 12:09 PM

Scottcan

Don't your sport seats have lumbar support, like the regular seats (round button on the bottom panel with the other adjustments)?

'05 X3 3.0i tisilv/grey, pp, cdwp, prvgls