PDA

View Full Version : AUX input vs iPod Adapter

tmoacb
11-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Hello from a BMW newbie. I wanted to inquire as to what's better? the AUX input or the iPod Adapter, based on teh following factors:

1. Overall cost (if I take it to a dealer)
2. ease of installation and availability of good instructions (if I decide to do it myself; I fancy that I'm handy enough to follow good instructions :-))
3. convenience and sound quality (given that I might consider other digital music players than the iPod)

Thanks!

p.s. Mine is a leased barebones X3 2.5i with automatic and moonroof. Love the "quietness" of the barebones interior, but will miss terribly automatic climate control. Absolutely enjoy the handling, especially braking. Happy to have found and joined Bimmerfest. :-)

haigha
11-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Hello from a BMW newbie. I wanted to inquire as to what's better? the AUX input or the iPod Adapter
Have you tried the search? There's been lots of discussion about AUX and Ipod:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/search.php?searchid=864878

sfca-325i
11-04-2004, 10:37 AM
If you have an IPOD, I would imagine you would want the IPOD adapter for the additional functionality.

Excerpt from Circle BMW:

BMW iPod Interface Adapter
Using the CD-Mode on the radio you can access 5 different playlists created through iTunes. These playlists must be named BMW1 BMW2 BMW3 BMW4 BMW5. Each playlist is accessed by pressing the corresponding radio preset button on the radio. The playlist number and track number are showen on the radio display. Preset button number 6 on the radio will play the entire contents of the iPod starting from the beginning of the music collection. Random mode can also be selected to shuffle a play list or the entire music collection on the iPod for hours of music enjoyment.
Important: Only 3rd generation iPods with software 2.2 and the new iPod mini with iPod software 1.1 or greater can be used with the interface adapter. These devices are equipped with the Apple Dock Connector.

This device cannot be used in conjunction with the 6 Disc CD Changer or Sirius Satellite Radio.

Requiers special tool (pin remover 88886611132) for installation

Compatibility:
3 Series with CD Radio but without Navigation MY2002-On
3 Series with Cassette Radio but without Navigation MY2003-On
X3 SAV without Premium Sound or Navigation ALL
Z4 Roadster without Premium Sound or Navigation ALL
X5 SAV with CD Radio, without Premium Sound or Navigation MY2002-On
X5 SAV with Cassette Radio, without Premium Sound or Navigation MY2003-On

Description Part Number List* Sale*
Adapter Kit 3 Series 65 11 0 392 133 $149.00 $119.95
Adapter Kit Z4 X3 X5 65 11 0 392 134 $149.00 $119.95

scottcan
11-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I just installed the BMW ipod adapter kit and you do not need a pin extractor. All you need to extarct the pins is a smal flat head screwdriver. If you buy the kit from BMW there is a note to the dealer on top of the box to "supply the installation instructions to the customer".

Scottcan
X3 3.0, premiium, SP, upgrades 18" tires, and now ipod functionlity

moonlite
11-07-2004, 02:03 AM
I installed the AUX kit into mine. It took about 1 hour with the drilling involved. It was very easy to do behind the radio. I had to move 3 pins around for the hookup. The install says you need a special tool to remove the air vents, but I just pulled and they popped out. I also found later on the NET that you can make the cable yourself and not spend $40.00 .. but I liked the clean wire wrap from BMW!!!

papawapa
11-09-2004, 09:21 PM
I haven't been too pleased with the IPod adapter. There is a lot of line noise which isn't there when listening through headphones or stereo or cassette adapter. I don't know if the dealer installed it incorrectly or if that's normal or what. Haven't had a chance to complain to the dealer yet.

tmoacb
11-10-2004, 10:32 AM
I installed the AUX kit into mine. It took about 1 hour with the drilling involved. It was very easy to do behind the radio. I had to move 3 pins around for the hookup. The install says you need a special tool to remove the air vents, but I just pulled and they popped out. I also found later on the NET that you can make the cable yourself and not spend $40.00 .. but I liked the clean wire wrap from BMW!!!

Hi moonlite. Good to hear of a success story. Can you describe what your final setup looks like? How are you charging your iPod (or whatever portable digital player). Perhaps a photo? Thanks.

Also, does anyone know how bad an idea it is to drill holes in the interior of a leased vehicle?

Mike99PA
11-10-2004, 10:04 PM
NOTE TO ALL - I recently had the AUX Accessory Input installed in the glovebox of my 2004 Jet Black X3 3.0 with only one problem. Since this was the FIRST installation for my dealership they had a problem with location of the Input plate.

Seems the glovebox flashlight and the Aux Accessory Input are positioned within the same location in the glovebox. I had to have the dealer re-position the Input plate and everything now works fine!

I can play ANY kind of external audio device right thru the speakers in my car! Sound quality is great too! I'm using my SonyMD Mini Disk Player.

Would be nice to change tracks with the on-board controls! But Oh well! :cry: Can't have everything!

john@burstowcot
12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
I haven't been too pleased with the IPod adapter. There is a lot of line noise which isn't there when listening through headphones or stereo or cassette adapter. I don't know if the dealer installed it incorrectly or if that's normal or what. Haven't had a chance to complain to the dealer yet.

Did you ever find out why you had the noise? I have a similar problem - it isn't quite like a hiss - more like the background noise of an old worn vinyl record.

tmoacb
12-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Whoo-hoo!!! First ever auto mod!!! Just installed the aux audio input cable in my wife's leased x3 2.5i. Absolutely the first time I have ever looked behind the radio console. The following link with pictures helped a lot: http://home.comcast.net/~goriie/X3/auxport.html

Took me about an hour (mostly because I went slowly, confirming and reconfirming my steps). Used no other tool than just a phillips screw driver. [Well, I skipped the drilling part. :-) ].

For the time being, I'm going to leave the cable unmounted. Right now, I've got it snaking out through the air vent over the radio console.

Paired with a $5 stereo plug from Radio Shack, had a successful test using an MP3 portable CD player.

I took some pictures as well, as I went about these steps, and would glad help those of you daring enough to listen to the advice of a complete newbie. :-)

papawapa
12-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Did you ever find out why you had the noise? I have a similar problem - it isn't quite like a hiss - more like the background noise of an old worn vinyl record.

No, I haven't had a chance. I'd like to try a different IPod to eliminate the posibility it's the IPod. One interesting symptom is that when I go to a new song the noise disappears for a few seconds and then returns.

the worm
12-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Whoo-hoo!!! First ever auto mod!!! Just installed the aux audio input cable in my wife's leased x3 2.5i. Absolutely the first time I have ever looked behind the radio console. The following link with pictures helped a lot: http://home.comcast.net/~goriie/X3/auxport.html

Took me about an hour (mostly because I went slowly, confirming and reconfirming my steps). Used no other tool than just a phillips screw driver. [Well, I skipped the drilling part. :-) ].

For the time being, I'm going to leave the cable unmounted. Right now, I've got it snaking out through the air vent over the radio console.

Paired with a $5 stereo plug from Radio Shack, had a successful test using an MP3 portable CD player.

I took some pictures as well, as I went about these steps, and would glad help those of you daring enough to listen to the advice of a complete newbie. :-)

I followed the instructions from the above link as well. Everything is very easy except for the last step of tyring to pull the aux input through the ashtray. I gave up after about 30 minutes of trying to fit my had down there. I e-mailed the guy who posted those pics and he said it was a pain. I have everything hooked up but am not sure where I am going to pull out the aux input.... please post where you put yours, I am still trying to decide :dunno:

john@burstowcot
12-15-2004, 08:18 AM
No, I haven't had a chance. I'd like to try a different IPod to eliminate the posibility it's the IPod. One interesting symptom is that when I go to a new song the noise disappears for a few seconds and then returns.

That seems just like mine - fine for a few seconds and then the noise kicks in. I wondered whether it was when the iPod was spinning its disk but it goes on too long I think for that to be the case.
I'll keep investigating

carter
12-20-2004, 11:20 PM
I have the aftermarket Dension Icelink- the stereo & steering wheel can run the ipod and it charges while it plays, and with the spiffy little docking station you can see the readout on the ipod. Sounds great and it installs between trim pieces- no screw holes in the dash!!! :bigpimp:

Dale Pickle
12-21-2004, 09:47 AM
I have the aftermarket Dension Icelink- the stereo & steering wheel can run the ipod and it charges while it plays, and with the spiffy little docking station you can see the readout on the ipod. Sounds great and it installs between trim pieces- no screw holes in the dash!!! :bigpimp:

How did you run the cable from the trunk to the front? I just got an iPod (yay) and I'm also trying to decide how I want to hook it to the car. I read in another thread that some guy had to pull his seats out and such to run the wire to the front.

I am not comfortable with that sort of procedure.

Dale Pickle
12-21-2004, 11:21 AM
How did you run the cable from the trunk to the front? I just got an iPod (yay) and I'm also trying to decide how I want to hook it to the car. I read in another thread that some guy had to pull his seats out and such to run the wire to the front.

I am not comfortable with that sort of procedure.

I just realized that this thread is X3 specific and my installation question was in regard to a 330. Ooops.

Chris Dragon
12-23-2004, 08:11 AM
I have noticed some comment regarding noise when using the Aux input jack. I would guess that you are using a charging cord plugged into a lighter along with the audio input to the device. If this is the case, the noise you are hearing is from a ground loop that has been generated. To test this, simply remove the the charging cord from the I-pod or other device and the noise should go away. Run your unit on battery power and charge when not in use.

It is also important that you do not run the output level (volume control) of your I-Pod or other audio device wide open as this would drive it into clipping and increase distortion and noise. Run these devices no higher than 3/4 volume for best audio quality. I also find in the case of My X-3, I run my I-pod with the Loudness contour on and have made minor tweaks to the DSP controls for the best result. A loudness contour adds a little bass and a little treble to the output. Here I would select and EQ cruve on your I-pod that best serves your taste and preference.

All the best,

Christopher M. Dragon
Director of Brand Marketing
Harman Consumer Group
JBL, Infinity, Harman Kardon

:thumbup:

papawapa
12-23-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure if you're referring to the comments I've made but just to be clear my line noise problem is associated with the IPod Adapter not the Aux Input. It is independent of the IPod volume level and equalizer setting.

I have noticed some comment regarding noise when using the Aux input jack. I would guess that you are using a charging cord plugged into a lighter along with the audio input to the device. If this is the case, the noise you are hearing is from a ground loop that has been generated. To test this, simply remove the the charging cord from the I-pod or other device and the noise should go away. Run your unit on battery power and charge when not in use.

It is also important that you do not run the output level (volume control) of your I-Pod or other audio device wide open as this would drive it into clipping and increase distortion and noise. Run these devices no higher than 3/4 volume for best audio quality. I also find in the case of My X-3, I run my I-pod with the Loudness contour on and have made minor tweaks to the DSP controls for the best result. A loudness contour adds a little bass and a little treble to the output. Here I would select and EQ cruve on your I-pod that best serves your taste and preference.

All the best,

Christopher M. Dragon
Director of Brand Marketing
Harman Consumer Group
JBL, Infinity, Harman Kardon

:thumbup:

john@burstowcot
12-26-2004, 10:29 AM
That seems just like mine - fine for a few seconds and then the noise kicks in. I wondered whether it was when the iPod was spinning its disk but it goes on too long I think for that to be the case.
I'll keep investigating

I would recommend setting your iPod backlight setting to "Always On" - the additional power load seems to reduce the worst of the interference. I believe that is why you get a few seconds clear at the start and if you skip forward a few tracks - ie the iPod disk has to start to refill its buffers and the power load eliminates the interfernce temporarily.

beware_phog
12-26-2004, 05:10 PM
I had the aux-in installed for me while on ED. I power my iPod with the Belkin adapter. Works just fine for me....well as fine as you can get with the stock crap radio and speakers.

Paul in SF
12-30-2004, 02:21 PM
>> Compatibility:
>> X3 SAV without Premium Sound or Navigation ALL

>>Description Part Number List* Sale*
>>Adapter Kit 3 Series 65 11 0 392 133 $149.00 $119.95
>>Adapter Kit Z4 X3 X5 65 11 0 392 134 $149.00 $119.95[/QUOTE]

Is there ANY solution for connecting my iPod to my X3 w/ navigation and premium sound? I also have the Sirius connectivity - waiting for it to be completely installed once something is off backorder. My dealer is researching as well. I want to know what my options are, whether they are BMW, Apple, or aftermarket provided. Denison tells me the Icelink is not compatible with Sirius.

Thanks!

beware_phog
12-30-2004, 02:41 PM
>> Compatibility:

>>Adapter Kit Z4 X3 X5 65 11 0 392 134 $149.00 $119.95

Is there ANY solution for connecting my iPod to my X3 w/ navigation and premium sound? My dealer is researching as well. I want to know what my options are, whether they are BMW, Apple, or aftermarket provided.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
There are tons of options in the after market if you want to dump your head unit and spend a lot of dough. Check out the Alpine line of products. They have a slick adapter for the ipod.

x3man
01-06-2005, 12:07 AM
>> Compatibility:

>>Adapter Kit Z4 X3 X5 65 11 0 392 134 $149.00 $119.95

Is there ANY solution for connecting my iPod to my X3 w/ navigation and premium sound? I also have the Sirius connectivity - waiting for it to be completely installed once something is off backorder. My dealer is researching as well. I want to know what my options are, whether they are BMW, Apple, or aftermarket provided. Denison tells me the Icelink is not compatible with Sirius.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

BMW will be releasing an iPod adaptor in Summer 2005. I heard this from BMW Munich.

mEjOSEcANSECO
01-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Hello moonlite, I wanted to ask you a question or to anyone else that can help me. I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S and i want to install the auxiliary input for my car. Moonlite, you said that you can make your own cable for the auxiliary input. How can you do that and what do i need? Where can i buy the equipment from and is it easy? Thanks!

madurodave
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure if you're referring to the comments I've made but just to be clear my line noise problem is associated with the IPod Adapter not the Aux Input. It is independent of the IPod volume level and equalizer setting.

Same ground loop noise for the IPOD adapter as using the plug in power. The noise level will change with rpm also.

Evlengr
01-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Same ground loop noise for the IPOD adapter as using the plug in power. The noise level will change with rpm also.

I know most won't do what I have done and upgrade their sound system, but why not just use an iso box that will eliminate any chance of ground loop? Radio shack sells them and they are cheap.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=isolation%20transformer&origkw=isolation%20transformer&sr=1

bjm442
02-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I would like to know if you can install AUX input, if you have a cd changer

legalfee
02-25-2010, 05:59 AM
I would like to know if you can install AUX input, if you have a cd changer

Yes. The iPod adapter is what uses the CD changer connector. When you order the AUX connector they do want to know if you have NAV or not.