PDA

View Full Version : Initial Driving Impressions and Comparo

MitchH
11-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I finally took official possession of my X3 3.0 step after returning from a week long trip to NYC. After three days, the verdict is "so far, so excellent..." The X3 appears solid with a taut but not uncomfortable ride and excellent cornering. It is easy for me to find a comfy driving position at 6'3" and so far the steed is rattle-free.

The only mild disappointment is the quality of the interior materials as compared to my last vehicle, an Audi Allroad Quattro. Audi does spoil one with the quality of its interior materials, but the allroad did suffer from a somewhat mushy ride with lots of float and lean. To be fair, however, many Audi enthusiasts immediately replace the stock tires and anti-sway bars with better equipment to improve the handling.

I must admit that if it weren't for the excellent end of year lease deals available on the X3, the quality of the interior may have soured me on the car. As it stands, however, I am quite happy with the car given its "real cost" and its driveability.

mitch

harplayr
11-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Yes, there is a trade off in some respects. I for one like the X3 interior as I use it for a work (construction) and have a large dog. It is durable and easy to clean. Some have a plusher interior that the soccer mom's may like more, but I havenít found a SUV that handles better than the X3.

I decided to forego the softer dash with more baubles, in favor for a better handling and therefore safer SUV. Just my choice though, I know many happy Lexus drivers too.