PDA

View Full Version : Affordable window tinting in So Cal

bim_me_up
11-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I just purchased my first bimmer - 2005 530i and I love it. However, I did not spring the extra 5 bills for the tinted windows from the dealership.

Anyone know of a good place to get your windows tinted? Preferably in the Orange County area.

1Dreamer
11-05-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm in Orange County too and had this place do my windows. I think they did a great job.

A Terrific Tint - 949-365-9092
28570 Marguerite Pkwy in Mission Viejo. (Avery exit off the 5)
www.aterrifictint.com/

After doing some research, I decided I wanted Llumar film which is what they use and this place was also recommended by my mechanics, so I was sold. I think they also do the after-market tinting for a local Mercedes dealership. The tint comes with a lifetime warranty not to crack, peel or change color. If you have any problems, you just take it to any of 3,000 Llumar dealers across the country and they'll replace it for free for as long as you own the car.

$175 if you just want the rear window and back door windows done. $225 if you want the front door windows done too. I didn't want to risk putting tint on the fronts, but for the extra $50 I got the fronts done with Llumar UV Shield which is basically clear but blocks out all the UV and is street legal.

Congrats on the new car! :thumbup:

LDV330i
11-05-2004, 05:38 AM
I just purchased my first bimmer - 2005 530i and I love it. However, I did not spring the extra 5 bills for the tinted windows from the dealership.

Anyone know of a good place to get your windows tinted? Preferably in the Orange County area. You should no only look for a good tinting place but you also need to do some research on the kind/brand of film you want installed. If you do a search on films, specially ceramic tint films you will a alot of information. I was concerned about using metallic film, like the Llumar recommended, because I was concerned with reception inteference for my rear window antenna, radar detector, and future satellite radio installation (antenna on rear shelf). I had Huper Optik installed which is not cheap compared to other films ($400). The film the dealer contracts out to have installed on your car is probably a $250 job that is marked up 100%.

All good films nowadays come with a lifetime and national warranty.

1Dreamer
11-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Yes, I agree about certain films potentially causing reception inteference and I was concerned about that too when shopping around. You do need to look into that and ask about it. The technology is constantly improving and the Llumar I got is guaranteed not to cause inteference and my reception is fine. Otherwise I'd have had it taken off - which I made sure they would do at no charge if I had any problems. I think because the Mercedes dealership contracts them out (charging more) they are accustomed to picky customers. Like me. LOL. Here's some info I found when originally researching regarding changes in tint technology. The Llumar tint I have is made with the "sputtered" technology.

"Older "sandwiched" tints with metal sheets cause parabolic changes of the radio signals. Some even absorb the signal and reduce its magnitude. The newer "sputtered" tints do not sandwich a metallic sheet; radio signals are undistorted and undisturbed by the tint."

I've seen a lot of posts with people complaining about stereo reception on the e39, but so far I haven't seen anyone say it was related specifically to the antenna or that the problem started after tinting. From what I can tell, it seems to be a problem with the stereo itself and when they've replaced the stereo, the problem went away. I have the upgraded factory DSP stereo and I don't know if that makes a difference or not or if the same reception issue exists with the stereos in the e60s. I haven't had any problems with either AM or FM reception though. :dunno: