PDA

View Full Version : how do you clean the carpets??

jeff330i
11-05-2004, 03:29 AM
did a search, came up dry. The carpet undermy feet has a little "BMW" written on it. Its no longer any shade of white or anything close to that. I'm assuming its filthy. How do you clean the carpets??

BahnBaum
11-05-2004, 03:37 AM
did a search, came up dry. The carpet undermy feet has a little "BMW" written on it. Its no longer any shade of white or anything close to that. I'm assuming its filthy. How do you clean the carpets??

I use one of the "dry" automotive carpet cleaners in an aerosol can, I probably do my carpets and mats about once every couple months and it's kept the lettering looking like new. I think the last one I bought was Coral Blue and it seems to work very well.

Alex

TOGWT
11-05-2004, 08:17 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations~
Normal Cleaning:
Spray on 303TM Cleaner & Spot RemoverTM until damp (This product may be used on all water safe materials. The cleaning action increases with warm water, agitation and longer dwell time.) Completely wipe away dirt/grime with damp cloth until clean, rinsing out clothe as required. Allow to completely dry before use.

Spots and Stains:
Spray the spot until wet with 303TM Cleaner & Spot RemoverTM, or Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam, agitate with wet medium-soft brush and let stand. Then blot up the stain and excess cleaner as described above. If necessary, repeat, agitate and let stand a few minutes before wiping clean. Dry completely before use.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Test_Engineer
11-05-2004, 08:39 AM
I just used a household spot carpet cleaner on mine. I think it was 409 brand or something like that. I just sprayed the mat and let it sit for a few minutes. Then used a stiff bristle brush and a little more spray as needed to scrub the mats a bit. Then blotted them somewhat dry with paper towel, then I sucked them dry with my shop vac. It seemed to work pretty good. I am sure some products work better than others, but my mats were very dirty looking because I have the tan interior, so I figured anything is better than nothing, but i was pleased with the quick results.

SONET
11-05-2004, 11:41 AM
I use a hose. Bury the nozzle into the carpet at full pressure and slowly move it around the mat. All the dirt will float to the top and wash away. BMW coats their mats with a special coating so grease dirt etc won't stick. It's kind of soapy. I have a feeling that carpet cleaners and the like totally remove this coating, which seems like a bad thing to me. Water doesn't seem to though, as I have done this a number of times now and the 'soap suds' show up each time and even when they get grease stains they always come out like new.

Good luck!

--SONET

weoilmen
11-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks Sonet
I just Got a M3 Roadster that needed some TLC :cry:
I had thought that my M3 carpets were goners, they had lost there luster and had some oily stains, and the M looked brown! :eek:
So i thought what could I lose.

So I water flooded them as you said. The dirt just started running out :tsk:
then I saw the Oil stains.
I had been using Simple Green to clean my Hands after working on the car, and knew it removed the oil dirt and grease with very little effort. (Cool try it)
So I got it out and sprayed the Heck out of them, then rub it, then let it set while I did the next one. What was I going to Lose. then I re-flooded them and then used the wet vacuum them to a almost dry state.

They looked so Good that I went to the wife's M3 and did Her Dove Gray M3 Mats
and now they even Look New. The Simple Green pulled all the oily marks out of her Carpets.

Both sets have the Luster back now I am very Pleased :thumbup:
Thanks for this simple method.
Mike T

Desertnate
11-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I use our little Bissel Green Machine that we have for small spills on the furniture. I fill it with steaming hot water and mild carpet cleaner. It sprays the water on like the hose trick SONET mentioned (maybe not as much volumn) and then sucks it all away.

Artslinger
11-18-2004, 12:04 PM
For my carpet mats I'm thinking of spraying them with OXY carpet cleaner, wait five minutes, hose them down and air dry.

rjcoston
11-23-2004, 08:04 AM
I've had very good results on tan BMW mats by spraying on Griot's interior cleaner, waiting briefly, then scrubbing gently and rinsing. The cleaner has also worked well on small areas of the carpet.

DRWWE
11-30-2004, 09:51 AM
I have used "Resolve" carpet cleaner spray. Works great. Spray on, wait a few minutes, scrub off with a cloth. Doesn't smell good though.
I'm thinking about trying 303 since I have been so impressed by their vinyl protectant product.

:eeps: