PDA

View Full Version : X3 Aerodynamic Kit

stevenw66
11-05-2004, 09:05 AM
I have a 2005 X3 3.0i on order should ship in a few days from Austria. What are your thoughts on the aerodynamic kit. Is it worth the $3000 to get rid of the black bumbers? Does it tend to defeat the ability to navigate through snow and off road?

:eek:

xspeedy
11-05-2004, 09:26 AM
I have a 2005 X3 3.0i on order should ship in a few days from Austria. What are your thoughts on the aerodynamic kit. Is it worth the $3000 to get rid of the black bumbers? Does it tend to defeat the ability to navigate through snow and off road?

I think aero kits on SUV's look pretty stupid. Basically a milder version of slamming a full size pickup and putting a spoiler in the bed.

jhwe46
11-05-2004, 01:33 PM
I think aero kits on SUV's look pretty stupid. Basically a milder version of slamming a full size pickup and putting a spoiler in the bed.

I've seen them in person - IMO butt ugly.

flynhawaiian
11-05-2004, 02:39 PM
I like the black bumpers. If I got the aero package I would paint them black, except for the front bumper. Actually, I would just put on the front bumper. I think it would look good, but the side stuff, is CRAP!!! :violent:

I've seen them in person - IMO butt ugly.

bavarian19
11-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Decide for yourself

bavarian19
11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
part 2

stevenw66
11-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Decide for yourself
From the pictures I've seen I personally think it looks great. I assume that it deals with the park distance sensors?

echelon153
01-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Decide for yourself

This Aero kit looks saweet :thumbup: anyone else has 'em w/ pictures?

mliwanagcert
01-31-2005, 12:43 PM
I was thinking of getting them on a 2.5 but they cost $4200 CAD here. I am not sure they are worth it? Would it be better if I got the same paint shop that paints for the BMW dealer in my area to pain the original black bumpers to match the car colour? Any suggestions?

adc
01-31-2005, 03:06 PM
...yeah right.

I think the black bumpers look cheap and nasty, especially with light colored cars such as TiSi or White. For the majority of the drivers, black "rough'em up all you want this is the real deal" plastic bumpers will do absolutely NOTHING. So few X3s will go off road or in truly adverse conditions...

I would love to get color-coded bumpers on the X3, but not at that price. It's ridiculous... so I'll get the black bumpers, grind my teeth and hope nobody comments :mad: .

Well you asked for an opinion...

adc
03 330 ZHP

dherzfeld
01-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Maybe chrome bumpers with a brush guard would look better. Kidding..............

My opinion is that the black bumper in back comes up too high on the side, and compromises the look of the vehicle from the back, especially with the lighter paint colors. I'll get used to it, if I purchase white or silver gray. Right now I'm leaning toward jet black.

I like the idea of painted bumpers, but the aero kit is too over top for my taste. The low clearance of the aero bumpers totally defeats the purpose of an SUV concerning approach and departure angles.

iChick
01-31-2005, 03:30 PM
I got Sapphire Black and I love it. IMHO, it looks best with those bumpers....

szuszu
01-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Does anyone know whether areokit is port installed? I am planning on doing European Delivery and keeping the car in Europe for a few months as I plan a longer trip there and since I like the AreoKit I wonder if I will get it there or only once I pick up my car here in the US?

Thx

M-PIRE
02-14-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm working with a body shop down the street who is going to remove the black bumpers, paint them and reinstall for me for just $500!! I think it will look a whole lot better. They are also doing the side trim pieces.

Is the front bumper from the aero kit available by itself? I'd love to put one of those on and bypass the rest of the kit. Are there other options? I really like the look of it and I especially like the driving lights being lower to the ground.

Thanks-

mysticbluex3
02-15-2005, 01:18 PM
For those that got the aero kit (including sport exhaust) How much was the total price? including parts, labor and paint?

TOOBER1
02-24-2005, 07:00 PM

ALLI CAN SAY IS THAT I GET MORE LOOKS AND GOOD COMMENTS ON TEH AERO KIT. EVERYNE ASK'S WHERE AND HOW I DID IT. I SPENT A LOOOOT OF TIME LOOKING INTO IT AND HOW IT IS BOTH PLUS/MINUS THINGS ABOTU IT.

EVERYTHING IS PLUS, EXCEPT THE SENSORS FOR PARKING. YOU CANT USE UM. OH WELL THOUGH. THE LOOKS IS SO MUCH BETTER. IF YOU UHAVE THE PLASTIC, IT LOOKS LIKE A EXPENSIVE HONDA CRV...CHEAP. THE PAINTED KIT LOOKS VERY CLEAN AND CLASSY! HOWEVER I EVEN LOOKED AT PAINTING THE PLASTIC. NO ONE RECOMMNDED IT OVER TIME IT WILL PEEL OR CHIP OR CRACK SINCE IT IS PLASTIC AND MNOT MADE FOR THE PAINT. THE DEALER I WENT TO EVEN HAD ONE DONE ADN PAINTED...IT LOK FUNNY AND THE 'ORANGE PEEL TEXTURE' TYPE PAINT.

ANYWAYS, IT WAS LOT OF MONEY BUT THIS ONE I FELT WAS VERRRY WORTH IT!

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CHOICE...OH! GET IT IF U HAVE A LIGHT COLOR. IT DOEEWNT SHOW THE KIT ALL THAT WELL ON BLACK OR DARK CHARCOAL...LIGHT COLORS LIEK WHITE OR SILVER LOOK VERRRYY CLEAN.!

THANKS

MPoWeRMAN
02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I got just the front at my dealer for about 500 which includes the fog lights, and I had the sides and back painted to match the car, I have received many compliments, and I love how it came out. At my dealer, the parts guy likes it so much, he is thinking about getting one for himself! It makes the car look much better in my opinion. The black bumpers give it kind of a cheap look. It probably works for some people, especially in colder weather where they are probably much easier to clean, so to each his/her own!

bredi
02-24-2005, 11:42 PM
aero kit should be standard.
offer the black rubber as an "off-road kit".

i think I'll go for the front. Paint the side and rear.

I need to keep the tow package.

how much does it lower the front height?

thanks,
bredi

MPoWeRMAN
02-25-2005, 07:57 AM
dosent really lower the front height much at all, you dont have to worry about scraping or anything like that

SCGC2
01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
I just ordered my X3. My first BMW. It will join the 911 and replace my 4 Runner. I've driven two of them and it is a sweet ride. Nice acceleration, good trans and sure footed handeling. But I couldn't live with the black rocker panels and wheel wells, but didn't want the "stiffness" of the sport package. So I ordered the full aero kit. I love the pictures that are posted. Mine is silver grey with black leather and dark wood, premium pkg, heated seats, privacy glass, sat radio, nav, premium sound, mats.

simoncpw
01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Here are some more photos and discussions on the Aero kits, and the different version of bumpers

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101925
http://www.x3world.com/x3-e83-forum/2818-silver-grey-body-kit-fitted.html
http://www.x3world.com/x3-e83-forum/6634-x3-bumpers-body-kits-face-lift.html?highlight=bumpers

SCGC2
01-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know whether areokit is port installed? I am planning on doing European Delivery and keeping the car in Europe for a few months as I plan a longer trip there and since I like the AreoKit I wonder if I will get it there or only once I pick up my car here in the US?

Thx
When I ordered mine with the aerokit I was told that it is port installed.

scgc2

TOOBER1
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Get The Aero Kit!!!!!!!!

Huge Diff, I Get Compliments Everywhere I Go. People Dont Recognize It, Or Thinks Its A Concept Veh.

And No It Does Not Look Like A Slammed Truck.

So Much Cleaner...and People Ask If Its An X5 New Model Etc.

Worth The Extra Cash If You Have It

J.El
01-15-2006, 06:20 AM
I saw a silver one the other weekend and almost cried

Staszek
01-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I think the areo kit looks great.

I was glad when they changed the kit on the 06 X3

canadianbattery
01-15-2006, 08:41 PM
aero kit looks good.. but seems abit expensive...
2006 3.0 X3 bumper looks good too

Brent P
01-15-2006, 09:38 PM
If you think the aero kit is too radical, why don't you order it with the M-body kit. Thats the body kit with painted bumpers that BMW put on the 2006 X3's in the U.S.

ChiefCrazyTalk
01-16-2006, 07:05 AM
...yeah right.

I think the black bumpers look cheap and nasty, especially with light colored cars such as TiSi or White. For the majority of the drivers, black "rough'em up all you want this is the real deal" plastic bumpers will do absolutely NOTHING. So few X3s will go off road or in truly adverse conditions...

I would love to get color-coded bumpers on the X3, but not at that price. It's ridiculous... so I'll get the black bumpers, grind my teeth and hope nobody comments :mad: .

Well you asked for an opinion...

adc
03 330 ZHP
I consider parking in the city "Adverse conditions" which more than justifies the black bumpers for me, since they dont show the inevitable dings as much. Plus I like the look. To each his or her own.