PDA

View Full Version : Dinan for 530i

bmaverick
11-07-2004, 11:25 AM
New to the world of BMW and am curious about Dinan. Is something that can be done at my local dealer? I have noticed many options for Dinan. Any recommendations on the order things should be done? Finally, How do you pronounce Dinan? :dunno:

Bruce
11-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Depends on the dealer. Not all dealers do Dinan.

Recommendations? I assume you mean engine performance? IMO- save your money....epecially with Dinan. If you must do something the usual intake, chip and exhaust are a good start, but they are mainly auditory mods the performance gains that Dinan claims are never realized in real world testing from the dyno plots I have seen.

Mod money is better spent on suspension IMO.

Dinan is pronounced DIE-nin.

bmaverick
11-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Depends on the dealer. Not all dealers do Dinan.

Recommendations? I assume you mean engine performance? IMO- save your money....epecially with Dinan. If you must do something the usual intake, chip and exhaust are a good start, but they are mainly auditory mods the performance gains that Dinan claims are never realized in real world testing from the dyno plots I have seen.

Mod money is better spent on suspension IMO.

Dinan is pronounced DIE-nin.

Thanks for your opinion. I really feel that my 530i performs well as is and was just curious. For the cost and based on your comments, probably will not pursue Dinan. What suspension mods do you recommend? The car currently has the regular suspension, not sport.

I feel ignorant, what does IMO stand for?

philippek
11-07-2004, 01:19 PM
IMO- save your money....epecially with Dinan.

Agreed.

Unless you're going forced-induction, your gains will be nominal, engine-wise.

Suspension mods are a much better value proposition, but consider how much rideability you're willing to sacrifice for greater grip.

I'd say save your money and just upgrade to a 540, 45, M3...or whatever when the time comes.

BTW, AFAIK, IMO = In My Opinion, IIRC.

And I've always pronounced it DIE-nun.

liuk3
11-09-2004, 03:23 PM
New to the world of BMW and am curious about Dinan. Is something that can be done at my local dealer? I have noticed many options for Dinan. Any recommendations on the order things should be done? Finally, How do you pronounce Dinan? :dunno:

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I did the typical Dinan performance mods to my 530. If I could do over again, I would not spent all the money on the mods and just gotten a used M5, or saved the money for more track schools. For street driving though, the 530 has more than enough power to get you into trouble. I never miss not having the power on the street. It is only on the track where everyone has an M car or porsche that I wish I had more power. In the end, the dinan stuff is pretty pricey, but I went with it because I didn't want to void my BMW warranty. For example, my cam position sensor just went out and they had to reprogram the DME. The Dinan software that I had didn't work with the upgraded BMW software, so they are getting an updated Dinan software installed on my car at no cost to me. Hope this helps.
Ken

Gabe
11-09-2004, 05:06 PM
BTW, AFAIK, IMO = In My Opinion, IIRC.

Not Quite...

BTW = By The Way
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
IMO = In My Opinion
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

And there are lots more where that came from ;)

jaisonline
11-10-2004, 07:54 AM

checkout my post in the 3-series forum about my cai and software upgrade. also, do you have a manual trans?