PDA

View Full Version : How is your X3 in the snow?

FireFly
11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
I have been driving a 330xi and it is more or less excellent in the snow but it uses DSC for wheel spin control. So how is your X3 in the snow? Do you use AS or Snow tires?

I hope to take delivery on a 2005 for my wife this coming weekend...
-Joe

FireFly
11-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Am I to believe that no X3 has ever seen snow? :) :rofl:

motordavid
11-09-2004, 04:23 PM
X5 here, not X3...but, imo, it will be All about tires and tire size, (eg wheel width and tire combo), on your Wife's new X3. The XDrive should be considerable improvement over previous non-Xdrive, but tires are The deal, combined with where you are in the G State. If you have steep climbs, serious snow/ice,etc. and gotta get out/in, I'd rec'd dedicated snows.

I have oem 18s w/Sprt Pkg and it does not work in winter, where I live; so, in winter, the lesser stock 17s with dedicated snows are like a wonder drug for us on the Mtn and in Very Steep, snow covered roads.
My 2Cts. Someone has to have had their X3 in snow, lol! Patience may bring some anecdotal info.
Nothing beats snow tars, however.
BR,md

JakeInVa
11-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Wll, maybe nobody here has, but X3's have been driven in the snow before:

http://www.satch.us/AlCan/Team_journals/Bimmer_update.html

Of course, I'm not sure what kind of tires they were using...

--Jake

FireFly
11-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I am curious to see how well the X3 does with stock 17 inch AS tires. My 330xi does a great job with the GY AS tires but I am switching to dunlop winters - should be good :)

motordavid
11-09-2004, 06:40 PM
FireFly, those 17" tires should be "ok", and at least you have that 17" wheel if you decide to go to dedicated snows...they make 18s in snows, but bring dough,lol!

I forgot to add, that w/my '01 X5 and pre-XDrive, I tend to punch Off the DSC in hard go situs, otherwise the brake pinchers jes' slow down the forward momentum to a point where the very steep climb sections are unnaviagable. But, with DSC off I hammer it and we get up. The Hill Descent saves our fannies too, on the steep descents. Your XDrive may negate my concerns with "no season" tires.

GL w/your X3...I like 'em which is somewhat rare for us X5 drivers, but good car with even better handling, etc., due to less weight.
BR,md

papawapa
11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
It does great in the snow although mine hasn't been through deeper than 6" yet because it's early in the season. For the winter, I put Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires on because I live at 8500' and get lots of snow. These tires are also very nice on dry roads - haven't tried ice yet. Don't know how long they'll last either.

FireFly
11-10-2004, 09:57 AM
FireFly, those 17" tires should be "ok", and at least you have that 17" wheel if you decide to go to dedicated snows...they make 18s in snows, but bring dough,lol!

I forgot to add, that w/my '01 X5 and pre-XDrive, I tend to punch Off the DSC in hard go situs, otherwise the brake pinchers jes' slow down the forward momentum to a point where the very steep climb sections are unnaviagable. But, with DSC off I hammer it and we get up. The Hill Descent saves our fannies too, on the steep descents. Your XDrive may negate my concerns with "no season" tires.

GL w/your X3...I like 'em which is somewhat rare for us X5 drivers, but good car with even better handling, etc., due to less weight.
BR,md

HDC is one reason we went with the X3 over anything else. My driveway is 800' and very steep. My 330xi with HDC makes it easy to drive down when there is snow on it :)

gmlav8r
11-13-2004, 04:19 PM
Since this is a snow thread.

Can you put 16 inch rims on the X3???? I assume yes.