PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my 545i 6 speed yesterday

mswaz
11-08-2004, 12:02 AM
All I can say is WOW. This car is simply amazing.
Car is Silver Gray on Black 545i 6 speed Sport.

All of the critics of Bangel need to truely go look at this car. It is absolutley the finest car I have ever driven.

I was thrilled the day I picked up my ZHP but this car blows the doors off it. Active steering is precise. The adaptive suspension, (can't remember the technical name), is way cool, car remains flat even around a 360 degree onramps.

I may get flamed for this, but I think the thing looks great. Don't get me wrong, the e39 was a great looking car but the key word there is WAS. The e60 has flash as well as sophistication. Bangel got it right.

Sorry for the gushing guys but I can only be described as giddy........

rost12
11-08-2004, 06:56 AM
Congrats! Enjoy the new car smell and post peektures! :D

heezyo2o
11-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Nice car bro, congrats.

markseven
11-08-2004, 12:54 PM
I may get flamed for this, but I think the thing looks great. Don't get me wrong, the e39 was a great looking car but the key word there is WAS. The e60 has flash as well as sophistication. Bangel got it right.
mswaz,

I saw an E60 525 a few days ago, and I really liked it. The new 5 has really grown on me :) I love the Z4; I think the only Bangle car I don't like is the 7.

-Mark

mrbmwrob
11-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Congrates m8! Have a good time with it!

bavarian19
11-09-2004, 08:16 AM
post some pics :D

Dave 330i
11-09-2004, 08:26 AM

All of the critics of Bangel need to truely go look at this car. It is absolutley the finest car I have ever driven.

I was thrilled the day I picked up my ZHP but this car blows the doors off it. Active steering is precise. The adaptive suspension, (can't remember the technical name), is way cool, car remains flat even around a 360 degree onramps.

I won't go into the Bangle design, nor the dreaded i-Drive system, but I drove the 545i with the active steering at the Lexus test drive event through an auto-x type set up. Personally, I did not like the non linear feel to the steering. It was difficult to negotiate a quick turn and then try to not over correct during a recovery from the turn. Personally, I would have prefer the regular steering set up. The 530i w/o the active steering felt much better in control.

mswaz
11-09-2004, 10:08 AM
I won't go into the Bangle design, nor the dreaded i-Drive system, but I drove the 545i with the active steering at the Lexus test drive event through an auto-x type set up. Personally, I did not like the non linear feel to the steering. It was difficult to negotiate a quick turn and then try to not over correct during a recovery from the turn. Personally, I would have prefer the regular steering set up. The 530i w/o the active steering felt much better in control.

I have to disagree....When your at any kind of speed the steering response, as far as I can tell is very similar to a non active steering car. Just becasue it is different than what you are use to in your 330 does not make it bad. I am willing to bet if you have a couple of hours in this car. That 330 of yours would have a for sale sign in it. I am coming from a 2003 330 with ZHP and there is no comparison.

Just my $.02 as I am happy as a clam, whatever that means.

subterFUSE
11-09-2004, 06:50 PM
I picked up my 2005 545i SMG last night. It is unbelievable.

I love the active steering. It feels like the car just glides around corners.... practically like there is 4 wheel steering.

I can't wait until I get the engine broken in well, so I can start to really stomp on the accelerator.

cantona7
11-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Congrats on the new ride! And where are those pictures man!!!

I have to say that I've never had such a big turnaround on a car as I have the E60—absolutely hated it when it first came out, but absolutely love it now.

beewang
11-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Congrats on the new ride! And where are those pictures man!!!

I have to say that I've never had such a big turnaround on a car as I have the E60—absolutely hated it when it first came out, but absolutely love it now.
:stupid:

I am w/ ya....I hated the begalized look but one day my eyes and mind open-up. That Chris Bengal is a freaking Geniues!! :thumbup:

beewang :bigpimp:

stewthebassman
11-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Congrats, that's a smokin' ride you've got there!!! I BET you can't wait to get past break-in and stomp!

I love all the Bangle stuff. The 7, the 5, you name it, I even love the new E90.

Enjoy!

exchequer
11-12-2004, 11:09 AM
I love all the Bangle stuff. The 7, the 5, you name it, I even love the new E90.

I agree wholeheartedly. I loved the 7 from the moment it was introduced. The new 5 would have been in my garage by now, but I am forcing myself to wait out the first model year. Someone at work recently bought a new 5 so at least I get to gaze longingly at it every time I park my car.

Dave 330i
11-12-2004, 05:02 PM
I have to disagree....When your at any kind of speed the steering response, as far as I can tell is very similar to a non active steering car. Just becasue it is different than what you are use to in your 330 does not make it bad. I am willing to bet if you have a couple of hours in this car. That 330 of yours would have a for sale sign in it. I am coming from a 2003 330 with ZHP and there is no comparison.

Just my $.02 as I am happy as a clam, whatever that means.

"It is interesting to note what technology the M engineers had to scrap in order to make the M5 chassis perform. They ditched the current 5-series innovation such as active steering, active anti-roll bars, and run-flat tires." Car & Driver, Dec 2004.

I prefer a car that can perform without all the active stuffs. They just take away your connection with the road. I think a good driver would want to sense that linear feeling with the road when he makes his turns. I just couldn't do it with the active steering. It just didn't feel right.

philippek
11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
"It is interesting to note what technology the M engineers had to scrap in order to make the M5 chassis perform. They ditched the current 5-series innovation such as active steering, active anti-roll bars, and run-flat tires." Car & Driver, Dec 2004.

I prefer a car that can perform without all the active stuffs. They just take away your connection with the road. I think a good driver would want to sense that linear feeling with the road when he makes his turns. I just couldn't do it with the active steering. It just didn't feel right.

It's interesting to note what they added: 4 engine modes, 11 shift programs, 2 steering modes, 3 suspension modes, 2 traction control modes, launch control, and on and on.

And every review I've read so far has positively gushed about how much feedback and "soul" the car has.

beewang
11-12-2004, 05:21 PM

I know what I am going to regret this as Dave is gonna eat this up as chum bait: :eeps:

So what is their reason/rational for eliminating the fog lights??!! How does no fog lights add more purity to the whole driving experince.

My point is: don't read too much into the differences, you will end up over analyzing.

Back to my own box..... ;)

beewang :bigpimp:

Soon to be ZHP
11-12-2004, 09:30 PM

WOW :jawdrop: . Good move, way to spend :bling: . Wild hair or did you need something new? :thumbup: Now thats a car I'll buy when your tired of it or feel a need for the new M-5. :D

J

Dave 330i
11-12-2004, 09:35 PM
It's interesting to note what they added: 4 engine modes, 11 shift programs, 2 steering modes, 3 suspension modes, 2 traction control modes, launch control, and on and on.

And every review I've read so far has positively gushed about how much feedback and "soul" the car has.
:thumbdwn:
My digital camera has all the bells and whistles. You know what, once set, I don't even know the other options exist or necessary for my use. I see cars with adjustable damping rates. soft, hard, track. How often are they used? Damn, if I buy a 545, do you think I would set it to soft? Give me the car with the least options, most hp, most torque, stiffest suspension, best wheel and tires. You can have everything else.

Warot
11-12-2004, 10:25 PM
I think I'm going to get flamed for this as well but here goes. Maybe you wouldn't change the settings but I can definitely imagine people who would. If you are just driving around the city, with decent amount of traffic, I dont' see why I would just change it to soft.

Maybe I'm totally off. But a BMW, yes it's definitely a performance car, but I think that is has to provide comfort as well

Ghost Runner
11-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Congratulations
Enjoy the machine. Once I have worn out my 540i I will have a look at the new models. I think they much better on the road than in a picture. Great car.

Joe

mswaz
11-13-2004, 10:08 PM
WOW :jawdrop: . Good move, way to spend :bling: . Wild hair or did you need something new? :thumbup: Now thats a car I'll buy when your tired of it or feel a need for the new M-5. :D
J.

I know its a bit of difference to what I was looking for but as soon as I saw it and drove it it was a done deal. The car is fabulous, not to mention I think I got a superb deal. 6 speed 5 series don't seem to be too popular amongst the lazy people in the northwest. We'll have to hook up sometime and go for a ride.

M

Soon to be ZHP
11-16-2004, 10:02 AM
J.

I know its a bit of difference to what I was looking for but as soon as I saw it and drove it it was a done deal. The car is fabulous, not to mention I think I got a superb deal. 6 speed 5 series don't seem to be too popular amongst the lazy people in the northwest. We'll have to hook up sometime and go for a ride.

MSounds good, e-mail me when you come up north sometime.

J

scope12da
11-16-2004, 04:11 PM
:supdude: LOVE my 545i/6 speed. Agreed ppl in the NW don't seem to like stick too much, but I just love peelin through 1st/2nd/3rd, nooo, going too fast for the fuzzballs already!!! :eeps: Unless you're going to track your 5 series, I don't think active steering gets in the way at all, what a great help in the parking lot and around town... but I can still hit corners hard without hesitation. Sure, I'm not going to let the tail slip, but when would I ever do that on the street?!

Congrats on ur ride, just wait for that 1200 mark, then floor it! hmmm 1189 miles might be good enough too...! :p

Keith
11-16-2004, 06:01 PM

You know, I agree with you, my Uncle has a 545 w/smg and this sucker is sweeeeeeet and moves (silky smooth I might add)
I have a '95 E34 540 and love it, but when I get out if my car and step into his and go for a drive, it's hard to get back in my little ole E34. :(
Nah,I will never get rid of my E34, I will just get something newer for my wife. :D
Congrat's on a beautiful machine.

120yz
11-19-2004, 11:26 PM
they say the freakin SMG didnt ran so smooth huh? 6-speed would be nice...

mswaz
11-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Here are some pics of my 545i 6 speed. All I can say is I like this car more and more everyday.

Warot
11-29-2004, 12:27 AM
wow nice color choice. Love those rims as well. Very nice combo you have there.
Another satisfied customer. :thumbup:

bigredexpy
11-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Congrats very nice car and home. :thumbup:

mojosaan
11-30-2004, 07:39 AM
Yeah, great car. Yesterday, I test drove the 530i w/ Sport and the M3. I'd have to say the M3 was a big let-down. I was disappointed with the M3. Yeah, the M3 had great acceleration but that was about it. The 530i had good acceleration plus great handling. I wasn't able to test a 545i with Sport but I'd imagine that it would ride even better with a 4.4 V8. I like the overall package of the 5 and compared to the M3, it's a better value. Also, this test drive was my first interaction with the iDrive and to tell you the truth, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I took a 30 minute test drive and learned how to use the thing by the time my drive ended. Yeah, it takes some time getting used to it but with like any car, you have to get to know the characteristic of it and I think iDrive is part of it. I think iDrive is pretty simple to use. As for whether or not it is added distraction, sure, but what isn't these days? Cell phones, screaming kids, crying babies, angry mother-in-law, hot babe or dude in the next lane or even eating your lunch or dinner; I don't think iDrive will add anymore of a distraction once a drive gets used to it. Finally, the active steering does need time to get used to it but once you do, it is very nice and effortless. I have active steering on my Z4 and I notice I have to do more work everytime I drive my wife's X5.

Bottomline, big disappointment with the M3 and glad I tried the 530i. I'm just wondering what the 545i with Sport will be like. The salesman said he'll give me a call once he gets another one in.

breytonX5
11-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Beautiful. Congrats!!

mswaz
11-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I agree on the I-drive. I think its great and took a very short while to master its functions. I find my self reaching for it while driving my X5 all of the time. I find its ease of use better than using the traditional buttons and redundant buttons on the steering wheel of my X5. If I drive was an optio , I would definately get it.

Before you do anything drive the 545. I drove a 530 sport Automatic, couldn't find a 530 sport manual, before buying mine and was not impressed at all. Acceleration was dismal and driveabilty was just plain not inspiring. I know the 530 sport and 545 sport have the same suspension and techno features like active roll and steering but there is a world of difference in the two.

For the money, which is not that mush more, when you add all the options to get a 530 equipped like a 545 it is a no brainer. Not to mention I am averaging about 28 mpg on city highway stints. Highway only averaging 70 mphs I am getting 35 mpg. These are better than my 330 zhp...

Go.....*****.........Enjoy............

GJR
11-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Add me to the list of converts, at least as far as styling goes (haven't driven an E60 yet). They are really strikingly well designed IMO. :thumbup:

fcmaras
12-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Nice pictures. really like the color :p

If you don't like Active Steering, wait until it goes out. Mine did tonight :eeps:

/Franco

Jim Seattle
12-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Here are some pics of my 545i 6 speed. All I can say is I like this car more and more everyday.

Gig Harbor huh? I live in Kirkand...you are brave to wash her, it's been pretty cold around here lately. You must be experiencing the "I just got a kick ass new car and must keep her clean" bug...! :thumbup: Looks Great!

mswaz
12-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Actually I have heated outside water for washing so it doesnt make it too bad.

Rmart
12-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I picked up my 2005 545i SMG last night. It is unbelievable.

I love the active steering. It feels like the car just glides around corners.... practically like there is 4 wheel steering.

I can't wait until I get the engine broken in well, so I can start to really stomp on the accelerator.

How is the SMG in the auto mode?