PDA

View Full Version : Is there an alternative steering-wheel...

760Lifan
11-08-2004, 09:29 PM
..to the IMO "boring" standard-wheel on the E60 545i Steptronic? Maybe there is one with wood or a sport-version because the regular one gives the interior a kind of a cheap touch :tsk: . I was thinking of the SMG just to avoid this standard-wheel but I'm not quite sure about that. Would be great if somebody could provide me with an Article-No. and a rough price-idea. BTW, any feedback about the SMG-"Auto-Mode"? Huge difference to Steptronic Automatic?

Thank you very much in advance! :thumbup:

zerofighter
11-08-2004, 10:36 PM
There is a HUGE difference between SMG and steptronic. SMG is not as smooth as steptronic, it is jerky at lower speeds, but when at WOT it is amazing quick. Steptronic is ideal if you have to sit in rush hour everyday. Also, steptronic is slower to shift in manual mode. I have not driven any SMG car in auto mode, only manual mode, because isn't that what it is for? :D

760Lifan
11-09-2004, 08:49 AM
..I already know that SMG is based on the 6-speed model and is basically a manual without clutch. Unfortunately, nobody seem to know if the BMW-Accessory department offers a different steering-wheel, because as I already stated, IMO the standard one looks cheap. The steering wheel was the reason why I started this thread.

Paul A
11-11-2004, 06:04 PM
..I already know that SMG is based on the 6-speed model and is basically a manual without clutch. Unfortunately, nobody seem to know if the BMW-Accessory department offers a different steering-wheel, because as I already stated, IMO the standard one looks cheap. The steering wheel was the reason why I started this thread.

Have you asked the dealer if the M3/E39Sport wheel will work. It looks great and feels good. Thick.