PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth

A Gimme
11-09-2004, 04:31 PM
I received my 2004 530i about two months ago. The great news is that it was one of the last through the production line and has some of the 2005 features including the software. Does anyone know if the bluetooth technology will work with my car? I need to get a new cell phone and I would rather spend the money on something I can use in my car if it's possible. I've heard it will only be available in the 2005 and later models, but if the car has already been upgraded...

subterFUSE
11-09-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't know about 2004....

But I just picked up my 2005 545i last night, and it has bluetooth. However, there is one potential problem. I currently have an HP iPaq PDA/Phone, with bluetooth..... and it will not link with my BMW.

I believe that only certain models of cell phones will operate with the bluetooth in the 2005 BMWs. I have e-mailed BMWUSA about the matter, and hopefully will have an answer by tomorrow.

I will post my findings as soon as I know for sure.

SRFast
11-09-2004, 07:26 PM
I don't know about 2004....

But I just picked up my 2005 545i last night, and it has bluetooth. However, there is one potential problem. I currently have an HP iPaq PDA/Phone, with bluetooth..... and it will not link with my BMW.

I believe that only certain models of cell phones will operate with the bluetooth in the 2005 BMWs. I have e-mailed BMWUSA about the matter, and hopefully will have an answer by tomorrow.

I will post my findings as soon as I know for sure.

The BMW BT car kit module requires the BT wireless phone have the BT HANDSFREE protocol. Most BT phones have the HEADSET protocol enabling the use of a BT headset, but not all phones have the Handsfree protocol. Note that BT phones made by the same company do not always have the required protocol. Example: Sony Ericsson T610/616 works with the BMW BT, but the SE P800 & P900 do not.

Hope this helps....JL

subterFUSE
11-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Here is the reply I got from BMWUSA:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your new 2005 BMW 545i. Congratulations on your BMW purchase. The service team at your authorized BMW center can assist with pairing your telephone to your vehicle. In regards to telephones, the phones tested by BMW to work with the Bluetooth system in our vehicles are: Motorola V600, Sony Ericsson T616 , Sony Ericsson T637 , Sony Ericsson T68i, Siemens S56,Sony Ericsson T608, and Sony Ericsson T610. I hope this information is helpful.

That is interesting about the "handsfree" vs. "headset" protocol. My phone (HP iPaq H6315 PDA/phone) says: "Hands Free" in the BT settings. It does not say "headset" settings. Whether or not this is the actual "protocol" you speak of, I do not know. But I looked deeper into it, and found a technical page in the About secton of the BT settings. This section lists all the BT modules running in memory. Among them are ones called BTDialer.dll

I have a feeling this means I have the right BT protocol.. but I could be wrong.

I'll send a support Q to HP and ask about the BT functionality on my phone.

Thanks for the help!

subterFUSE
11-10-2004, 04:56 PM
I was playing with the Bluetooth some more just now, and I got my iPaq paired with the BMW. Apparently there was some sort of filter being applied which did not show all connections unless you uncheck a menu item in the view menu for my Bluetooth Wizard. Once I clicked that, the BMW hands free connection appeared. I entered a code on the iDrive and then copied it to the iPaq... and the pairing was completed.

I then made a test phone call to someone, and I could hear them through the car audio system. But they could not hear me at all. So, something still is not operating correctly.

I'm going to have to spend more time with it to see if I can get the bugs worked out.

subterFUSE
11-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Well.... I tried again today and it is working.

Although I can only make calls through the phone... the dialing feature won't like with the car.

kd2789mo
11-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Sarafil posted extensive BT information last month:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76028

Alex posted (7th post, same thread) this a month or so ago. It contains the pairing procedure for BT phones. It is in German and English, scroll down to the English version.