PDA

View Full Version : X-3 Sport Package

dherzfeld
11-10-2004, 09:04 AM
What is the consensus regarding the Sport Package option? I drove a 2.5i/Auto w/o the sport package and a 3.0i/Auto w/ the sport package. My personal opinion is that the ride w/ the sport package is too harsh, especially the way they maintain the roads in Houston. The 3.0 engine far out performs the 2.5 engine in the X3, IMO.

Other opionions?

LeucX3
11-10-2004, 09:11 AM
What is the consensus regarding the Sport Package option? I drove a 2.5i/Auto w/o the sport package and a 3.0i/Auto w/ the sport package. My personal opinion is that the ride w/ the sport package is too harsh, especially the way they maintain the roads in Houston. The 3.0 engine far out performs the 2.5 engine in the X3, IMO.

Other opionions?
I love it and wouldn't want to have it any other way.

xspeedy
11-10-2004, 09:14 AM

Other opionions?

Just keep in mind that BMW suspensions soften up after they have a few thousand miles on them. What seems too hard when new will probably feel just right after a few months of ownership. My 330i with SP felt quite a bit firmer new than when I traded it in after about a year of ownership.

I got the SP on my 2.5 for the more supportive seats and the larger wheels. To me, the stock wheels just look too small on the vehicle. I agree the 3.0 is a much better fit for the vehicle. I went with the 2.5 because at the time, the price point for the 3.0 was just insanely high. Now that the roof is standard and the auto a no-cost option, a 3.0 equipped as such is reasonable.

nab777
11-10-2004, 10:38 AM
I too went for the 2.5 because of price, would have gone for the 05 but the 1.9% makes a big dif.

What other changes should I expect over time in addition to the softening suspension? The tech at the dealer service center said even if BMW claims no break-in period, after a couple of thousand miles, it just gets better...any thoughts?

mguhler
11-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Glad I got the sport package. I love the feel of the road. I've got an SUV that drives like a sports car.

SARAFIL
11-20-2004, 05:28 PM
I love it and wouldn't want to have it any other way.

I agree entirely. I drive them often, mostly without SP since that is what we stock, but every time I drive our X3 with it, I often ask myself "Why do people find this to be harsh?" I think it is definately a bit firm, but not any more harsh than the other BMWs with SP and low-profile tires that I've driven.

jrp
11-20-2004, 07:34 PM
I agree entirely. I drive them often, mostly without SP since that is what we stock, but every time I drive our X3 with it, I often ask myself "Why do people find this to be harsh?" I think it is definately a bit firm, but not any more harsh than the other BMWs with SP and low-profile tires that I've driven.
I don't understand those complaints, neither.

Compared to an RX330, and X3 is very harsh and spartan. But to complain about a BMW being harsh is like ordering a steak rare and complaining about the blood.

ProcyonB
11-20-2004, 10:26 PM
I have a '04 PP and an '05 SP and I think I like the SP better. :dunno: