PDA

View Full Version : First Wax of my Baby with Klasse

wheel-man
11-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Just put Klasse AIO and SG on the car... one coat, and did the interior with Autopia's Matte Effect Interior Kit (Einszett Lederpflege, Tiefenpfleger, Gummipflege) and used 303 on the moldings, windows, tires and rear lights.

I'm really impressed with Klasse and with only one coat of SG, the paint looks deeper and richer.

Artslinger
11-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Klasse makes great products. :thumbup:

Do you have a link to the "Matte Effect Interior Kit" on Autopia's website?

wheel-man
11-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Klasse makes great products. :thumbup:

Do you have a link to the "Matte Effect Interior Kit" on Autopia's website?

here you go...

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kit-mateff.html

Artslinger
11-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks.

1Dreamer
11-10-2004, 01:51 PM
I also tried AIO and SG for the first time a few weeks ago and probably went a bit overboard, but the car (white) looks great. We'll see if all the durability claims hold up, but so far I'm also very impressed. :thumbup:

I first washed the car with the Sonus wash product and added an oz of AIO into the wash water. (Read about that somewhere and preferred it to the idea of using Dawn to help remove any residual wax.) Then AIOx2 to make sure I covered every inch of the car. Then SGx3.

I put the first coat of SG on right away, the second coat on 24 hour later, and the 3rd a week later. I had read that the third coat of SG is the charm and I'd have to agree. I needed sunglasses to look at the car after the third . . . . at night! OK, not really ;) but there was a visible improvement and several friends have commented already.

An interesting observation after driving in the rain twice now . . . . the car was virtually dry 5 minutes after pulling into the garage except for a few specs of water here and there. I've never experienced that with any wax. Wax beads, but it is almost as if SG prohibits water from clinging to the paint surface at all. ????

wheel-man
11-10-2004, 02:58 PM
I also tried AIO and SG for the first time a few weeks ago and probably went a bit overboard, but the car (white) looks great. We'll see if all the durability claims hold up, but so far I'm also very impressed. :thumbup:

I first washed the car with the Sonus wash product and added an oz of AIO into the wash water. (Read about that somewhere and preferred it to the idea of using Dawn to help remove any residual wax.) Then AIOx2 to make sure I covered every inch of the car. Then SGx3.

I put the first coat of SG on right away, the second coat on 24 hour later, and the 3rd a week later. I had read that the third coat of SG is the charm and I'd have to agree. I needed sunglasses to look at the car after the third . . . . at night! OK, not really ;) but there was a visible improvement and several friends have commented already.

An interesting observation after driving in the rain twice now . . . . the car was virtually dry 5 minutes after pulling into the garage except for a few specs of water here and there. I've never experienced that with any wax. Wax beads, but it is almost as if SG prohibits water from clinging to the paint surface at all. ????

i think i'm going to put on another coat of sg tomorrow.

mscoins
11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I also tried AIO and SG for the first time a few weeks ago and probably went a bit overboard, but the car (white) looks great. ...
I have been using AIO and SG for about 8 months and am impressed with the shine it produces on white paint. I used to apply Sonus Acrylic Spritz after washing the car, but now use Sonus Acrylic Glanz for added protection.

1Dreamer
11-12-2004, 10:23 AM
I have been using AIO and SG for about 8 months and am impressed with the shine it produces on white paint. I used to apply Sonus Acrylic Spritz after washing the car, but now use Sonus Acrylic Glanz for added protection.

Yes, I'd never heard of Klasse until I did some research trying to find info on any secrets detailers had for what worked best on white/light paint and also hopefully lasted a long time. Ended up to be the same product. After reading that the Sonus products were compatible and acted as "boosters" to make the SG protection last even longer, I also ordered the Sonus Spritz, Glanz and wash product.

I haven't used the Spritz because if I have time to QD the whole car, I usually have time to do a quick wash. The Glanz seems to work well though. :thumbup: I'm going to try to use it after every few washes and see how long I can make the protection/shine last. I've seen some people say it should last a year this way, although I don't intend to go that long.

BTW, I've also seen some people say that mixing 1 oz of SG with 4 oz of water in a spray bottle works the same as the Glanz, so I plan on testing that out after I'm out of Glanz.

MMME30W
11-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Thought I would post this vs. starting another thread (how novel :) ).

Anyway, would like to get opinons on whether Klasse AIO would be a good option for me:

- Car is SG
- I'd don't have load of time available to detail the car
- Will be applying by hand/no PC ROB
- Would like something that can do the job in one go -- In the past I've used cleaner wax (P21S) applied by hand, as well as a clay bar w/ lubricant -- car's looked great but I don't really have the time to do this as I said these days.

Can I use the Klasse AIO pretty much as a straight wax? I'd obviously start with a clean, washed car. I also have to get off a few stuck on bugs/residue we get from driving round here at night/near lakes etc so would prefer a wax that I can use to get this stuff off in one go.

?

wheel-man
11-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Thought I would post this vs. starting another thread (how novel :) ).

Anyway, would like to get opinons on whether Klasse AIO would be a good option for me:

- Car is SG
- I'd don't have load of time available to detail the car
- Will be applying by hand/no PC ROB
- Would like something that can do the job in one go -- In the past I've used cleaner wax (P21S) applied by hand, as well as a clay bar w/ lubricant -- car's looked great but I don't really have the time to do this as I said these days.

Can I use the Klasse AIO pretty much as a straight wax? I'd obviously start with a clean, washed car. I also have to get off a few stuck on bugs/residue we get from driving round here at night/near lakes etc so would prefer a wax that I can use to get this stuff off in one go.

?

klasse aio is a wax and then you add the sg to seal it. great for getting the schmutz off.

xspeedy
11-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Klasse AIO is a cleaner/acrylic wax. So it is a mild cleaner and a mild wax. It is good for regular upkeep.

It is the only thing I use. I think anything else is overkill - especially multiple coats of it. AIO is very easy to apply, and doesn't stain. You can even put it on a wet car, right after a wash. When done, you can just rewash the car to remove the excess.

dsheli
12-19-2004, 10:58 AM
So say I AIO the car. Then SG it. Then next month I want to re AIO the car. With the AIO remove the SG?
Thanks,
David

xspeedy
12-19-2004, 11:06 AM
AIO is a cleaner wax. So basically, it will remove whatever is there and put a thin coat of acrylic. If you want to do regular upkeep like that, just skip the SG.

BahnBaum
12-19-2004, 11:25 AM
SG makes a huge difference in the look; the more coats the merrier. If anyone thinks that SG is a pain to apply, then they're using way too much of it. It takes VERY little and it's very easy and quick to apply.

I have a SG car that looks killer with AIO and 3 coats of SG. I did it in February, and it was still in decent shape when I redid it last month. No way would I be happy with the look of just AIO alone, but YMMV.

http://alextbaum.smugmug.com/photos/11301368-L.jpg

Alex

dsheli
12-19-2004, 11:59 AM
So how do you apply SG? Dry car and a Buff towel? Or do you use a PC?
David

BahnBaum
12-19-2004, 12:08 PM
So how do you apply SG? Dry car and a Buff towel? Or do you use a PC?
DavidBy hand.

Alex

BahnBaum
12-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Some folks say it's hard to remove, but I never understood that either. :dunno: I don't think it's that bad. :dunno:

However, what is a PITA is that you're supposed to wait at least 12 hours between coats to let it "cure". Otherwise the layering won't be as effective or something.

This essentially means I need to keep the car in the garage for the whole weekend when I do a treatment.I did one coat on a saturday evening, the second coat the next morning and the third coat the following a weekend (washing it before I did the 3rd coat). Each coat might take me 30 - 45 minutes to do, max. IMHO, the look and durability are worth the minor hassle.

Alex

Alex Baumann
12-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Alex, does it leave whiter residue on plastic trim ?

Great shine there !

BahnBaum
12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Alex, does it leave whiter residue on plastic trim ?

Great shine there !Thanks Alex. Actually, I don't know if it does or doesn't. Someone had once posted a tip on autopia to immediately hit any trim with a rag with a little Sonus Spritz on it, if you mistakenly got any SG on it. Works like a charm, I can quickly apply my SG without worrying about being too anal about not touching trim, and all my plastic and rubber still looks new.

Alex

machmeter
12-19-2004, 12:38 PM
That's really pretty! Wish I had time to do the same thing. Usually the people at the car wash wax my car. And rarely do it well...

BahnBaum
12-19-2004, 12:42 PM
That's really pretty! Wish I had time to do the same thing. Usually the people at the car wash wax my car. And rarely do it well...I have a very busy life too, but I really don't mind detailing my car. For me, it's therapeutic. And people can screw up a car if they detail incorrectly, and I'm not willing to trust others to do it right.

Alex

Alex Baumann
12-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks Alex. Actually, I don't know if it does or doesn't. Someone had once posted a tip on autopia to immediately hit any trim with a rag with a little Sonus Spritz on it, if you mistakenly got any SG on it. Works like a charm, I can quickly apply my SG without worrying about being too anal about not touching trim, and all my plastic and rubber still looks new.

Alex

Another trick is to treat the plastic trim with plastic cleaner before applying the wax/sealant. :)

F1Crazy
12-19-2004, 10:09 PM
I never liked working with SG but when we did Propellerhead's X5 we decided to experiment a little and applied it with PC. We used one of these new soft green pads and it went on like a charm. We primed the pad with a spritz of QD and applied it at low speed. I was able to apply very thin coat that Prop buffed by hand as soon as SG hazed and he didn't find it difficult at all to remove.

I strongly recommend waiting at least 12 hours before another coat, I had a nasty case of SG haze few years ago when I rushed and didn't waith for it to cure.

BahnBaum
12-19-2004, 10:27 PM
I never liked working with SG but when we did Propellerhead's X5 we decided to experiment a little and applied it with PC. We used one of these new soft green pads and it went on like a charm. We primed the pad with a spritz of QD and applied it at low speed. I was able to apply very thin coat that Prop buffed by hand as soon as SG hazed and he didn't find it difficult at all to remove.

I strongly recommend waiting at least 12 hours before another coat, I had a nasty case of SG haze few years ago when I rushed and didn't waith for it to cure.Ambient temperature also seems to have an effect on how difficult (or easy) it is to remove SG. I've found that applied properly (very thing coats) on a cooler day makes it very easy to do by hand.

Alex

F1Crazy
12-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Ambient temperature also seems to have an effect on how difficult (or easy) it is to remove SG. I've found that applied properly (very thing coats) on a cooler day makes it very easy to do by hand.

Alex
Humidity is also a huge factor.

jetstream23
01-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Just got my delivery from Autopia...

10 oz. Klasse AIO (much smaller bottle than I thought)
Klasse Sealant Glaze
Sonus Acrylic Spritz

Sonus Der Wunder polishing towels, microfiber applicator pads and a Concours buffing towel. Here's my plan for the very first wash and detail of my car.

1) Wash first with Dawn (not too much Dawn though) to get rid of any wax products the dealer put on at Delivery last week.

2) A second gentle wash with Meguiars' Gold Class shampoo.

3) Hand application of AIO using Sonus MF applicator pads and wiping with MF towels....QUESTION: About how much AIO should I use to do an entire 330i? 2 ozs.? 3 ozs.? Half of the 10 oz. bottle???

4) Hand application of SG with MF polishing towels.

5) A gentle "going over" with the Concours buffing towel to get any SG residue that's left and increase the shine.

I'm allocating 4 hours for all of this on Saturday and hope that's all it takes.

I'll wait about 24 hours and do another SG application on Sunday evening. Probably a third next weekend. QUESTION: If it doesn't rain this week would I have to wash again before doing the 3rd SG application? I was planning to go over the car lightly with a California Duster, do a QD with the Sonus Acrylic Spritz and then do my 3rd SG application. Does this sound okay?

Of course, I'll post pictures. :D

BahnBaum
01-29-2005, 06:20 AM
A second gentle wash with Meguiars' Gold Class shampoo.I'd skip the second wash. Unnecessary IMO.

....QUESTION: About how much AIO should I use to do an entire 330i? 2 ozs.? 3 ozs.? Half of the 10 oz. bottle???I'd say a couple ounces at most. And you'll use even less SG than AIO.

If it doesn't rain this week would I have to wash again before doing the 3rd SG application? I was planning to go over the car lightly with a California Duster, do a QD with the Sonus Acrylic Spritz and then do my 3rd SG application. Does this sound okay?If I go any more than 24 hours, I do a complete wash again. A week seems too long to me, even with the Cali duster. And I wouldn't use the spritz between SG coasts, but that's just me. I use the same stuff, I just wouldn't use it between my SG layers.

Alex

Mr. The Edge
01-29-2005, 06:28 AM
QUESTION: About how much AIO should I use to do an entire 330i? 2 ozs.? 3 ozs.? Half of the 10 oz. bottle???

1/2 ounce or 1 ounce at most

Alex Baumann
01-29-2005, 01:57 PM
1/2 ounce or 1 ounce at most

Not easy to do that for the first time :)

Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

jetstream23
01-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the tips, fellas. Raining in Phoenix today :cry: I'll have to wait a little longer.

Yeah, I figured probably about 2 oz. of AIO, 3 at the most. I use the wipe on (applicator), wipe off (MF towel) method without letting it sit long on the car.

As for the SG, some people have said that you can pour this into a spray bottle to apply??? What method of application would you suggest? Wipe on, wipe off like the AIO???

Desertnate
01-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the tips, fellas. Raining in Phoenix today :cry: I'll have to wait a little longer.

Yeah, I figured probably about 2 oz. of AIO, 3 at the most. I use the wipe on (applicator), wipe off (MF towel) method without letting it sit long on the car.

As for the SG, some people have said that you can pour this into a spray bottle to apply??? What method of application would you suggest? Wipe on, wipe off like the AIO???

You won't need 2~3 oz of AIO or SG. I did a full size SUV with that much...No way a 3 series should take that much.

I too have read of folks using a small 1~2oz spritzer like you find hair stylists use for thier products. I use a damp microfiber pad an apply a nickel sized drop. That drop goes a LONG way.

jonw440
01-30-2005, 06:49 AM
I put my AIO and SG in two ounce plastic "craft paint bottles".
Then I add a line at one ounce mark so when I'm done applying the SG to the car I look and see how much I used. (Usually I can go back and touch up a few areas but I have gotten pretty efficient at applying one ounce per application).
After the 3rd layer of SG is when it really brings the depth and shine out.

jetstream23
01-31-2005, 12:53 AM
I put my AIO and SG in two ounce plastic "craft paint bottles".
Then I add a line at one ounce mark so when I'm done applying the SG to the car I look and see how much I used. (Usually I can go back and touch up a few areas but I have gotten pretty efficient at applying one ounce per application).
After the 3rd layer of SG is when it really brings the depth and shine out.

Did my first wash, AIO and one coat of SG today. Unbelievable !!! I'm sold on Klasse. It was so easy to put on and take off...especially the AIO. The SG was slightly more of a challenge as it seemed to be a little more stuborn coming off. I had to go back with a second MF towel to buff a little harder and get the light SG haze off. This could be because I've got a Jet Black car and its easy to see EVERYTHING. I'm sure there are some Alpine White or Titanium Silver cars running around with a little bit of unnoticeable SG haze on them.... :dunno:

Anyway, pictures will be forthcoming....after my 2nd or 3rd SG coat. :D

Oh yeah, I also did some "spot" claybar work. The car is only 1 week old and was built in Nov. '04 so the surface is in excellent shape. I used clay on 2 or 3 tiny areas that had "dots" of surface buildup...not sure what they were but they are gone now.

Total time spent today: 4 hours for the 3 steps.

Products used: Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo, Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner, Lambs whool wash mit, Sonus der Wunder drying towels, Mother's Claybar and QD Lubricant, 1 bottle of Arrowhead water :D, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, Sonus MF applicator pads, Sonus der Wunder MF polishing towels.

My biggest challenge today was dealing with water spots. I did my best to dry thoroughly and quickly (two things that contradict each other). But, inevidibly, there were still some small water spots (hard water?) on the paint and glass. I'd love to hear a great tip for getting rid of these. I hit them with a little distilled water and wiped with an MF towel. I also gave those areas a little extra AIO and rubbing time. This definitely helped but didn't completely eliminate the spots. Any helpful advice??? Much thanks.

jonw440
01-31-2005, 04:56 AM
Use a dab of AIO on the glass!
It will remove the water spots and clean and protect in one step.(Windshield too).
Cant wait for pictures!! :thumbup:

Desertnate
01-31-2005, 06:27 AM
Did my first wash, AIO and one coat of SG today. Unbelievable !!! *snip*

Glad to here you are happy. I have been extreamly pleased with Klasse. This fall I did my BMW in the carnuba wax I have been using for years and used the Klasse family on our Toyota. While the longevity test is still running (six months now and the Klasse has the edge), just the ease of use gives the Klasse the edge.

The nice thing about Klasse is it lasts SOO long. Right now, our Toyota has been protected for 6 months and the water still beads, despite being out most of the time in lots of rain and being assulted by several dousings of road salt. Well worth the money....

jetstream23
01-31-2005, 07:19 AM
Use a dab of AIO on the glass!
It will remove the water spots and clean and protect in one step.(Windshield too).
Cant wait for pictures!! :thumbup:

Thanks, I had used some Windex yesterday without much success. The windows got clean and shiny but the spots are still there. I'll give AIO a shot later today.