PDA

View Full Version : beewang and others with 545 SMG?

RobertV
11-12-2004, 07:00 AM
How do you folks feel about the SMG now that you have some more miles under your belt?
I have injury damage on my left side, so a stick is out :(
Does the sport button make a big difference on this car?
Do you find the push/pull configuration difficult to manage?
Look forward to your input.
TIA

beewang
11-12-2004, 08:35 AM
....I have injury damage on my left side, so a stick is out :(
Does the sport button make a big difference on this car?
Do you find the push/pull configuration difficult to manage?
Look forward to your input.....

Robert,
Sounds like you are a person that would perfer the stickshift if circumstance allowed. That being the case your only choice is a SMG, as the steptronic is just pales in comparison to SMG for any type of serious "engine control."

The push pull configuration actually makes alot of sense. Driving thry the twisties.... it is almost a second nature to give a quick press w/ the thumb and SMG will immedately match rev and down shift (all happens in a split second). and coming out of corner, it is natural to want to "pull up" to the higher gear and causes your hands to intuitively pull the paddles. I am telling ya!! The BMW Engineers actually knows what they're doing here!! VEry Impressive! :thumbup:

hope this helps,

beewang :bigpimp:

subterFUSE
11-12-2004, 10:15 AM
I only have 250 miles on my 545 SMG, but I am loving it so far. I have not yet engaged the Sport button (I am waiting until I break-in some more first)... so I can't talk about that yet.

The shifting feels very sporty to me. I'm still trying to get a feel for when the car wants me to shift from 1st to 2nd gear (this shift is a little rough for me, still). But, this is partly because I'm too busy trying to keep the RPMs below 4500 for the time being. I think the car wants me to go higher.... so I'm sure after some more break-in time I'll get that smoothed out.

speedracerf4i
11-12-2004, 12:43 PM
I just got back from a 650 miles drive ED in my new SMG. I just love it. The paddles are patterned exactly like a bike's shifter. Because I used to be a mountain biker, so I got used to the paddles right away.

If you want to drive smoothly, just feather the gas at the right time and you can drive as smoothly as stick.

If you're expecting Automatic mode to be like the regular automatic, then you'd be disappointed. Not that it's bad, but the regular auto are just better logic wise.

If you're interested, just go to European delivery section in this forum for my pictures. Under "What did I do on rainy days in Munich"

Good luck

RobertV
11-19-2004, 05:23 AM
I hope to be test driving a 545 auto and maybe a Z4 w/ SMG Tuesday (the 545 are hard to find with SMG for demos in the NY area.)

subterFUSE
11-19-2004, 05:27 AM
545 SMG are rare everywhere.

I was the first person in the area to get one. My dealer had never seen one until mine arrived.

In fact, they claimed that they scratched my car while detailing it.... which forced them to push back my pickup date for a weekend. I never saw any scratch, but they did put 28 miles on the car during that weekend.

I suspect that they just lied to me about the scratch to have an excuse to keep the car for the weekend and test drive it.

Anyway..... I love the SMG. It feels very sporty, and you can still click it over to automatic if you need to.

Technic
11-19-2004, 05:40 AM
545 SMG are rare everywhere.

I was the first person in the area to get one. My dealer had never seen one until mine arrived.

In fact, they claimed that they scratched my car while detailing it.... which forced them to push back my pickup date for a weekend. I never saw any scratch, but they did put 28 miles on the car during that weekend.

I suspect that they just lied to me about the scratch to have an excuse to keep the car for the weekend and test drive it.

Anyway..... I love the SMG. It feels very sporty, and you can still click it over to automatic if you need to.

Wow... :tsk:

120yz
11-19-2004, 10:52 PM
my friend got one of those 05 545 SMGs.... she had silver gray, and bunch of options like sports, nav, HUD, PDC, comfort seats, sun shades (or whateva they call)... and i tried it... and it is an EXCELLENT CAR!!! Look at the performance you see man? of course switch to matic if you feel lazy but if no then go gas it in SMG you see... her car HAS AN EXCELLENT VALUE AND PERFORMANCE OVER PRICE!!! EXCELLENT!!!