PDA

View Full Version : BMW Bluetooth Compatible phones; What WORKS?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Penny
01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
What year BMW do you have? Looks like the year has something to do with which model phones will work. Forgive my ignorance I am a new Bimmer owner.

jesimmons
01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Jesimmons I called the BMW dealership and they told me to go to http://www.wireless4bmw.com and there is a list of phones and carriers. However, I was also told by lots of BMW owners that just because it isn't on the list doesn't mean it will not work. That is why I posted to see if anyone had paired a Sprint phone that wasn't on the list with a 2005 525i. I hope this helps you a little.

I had in fact gone to that site, and when I specified my model as 2008 535i, zero phones came up on the compatibility list for Sprint. :cry:

I too believe that some models will work, even if not specifically mentioned on the site. I suspect they only list phones that they have had opportunity to verify to operate with a minimum set of functionality. My guess is that 535i owners may have had success with various current phone models not listed, and can share their success (or lack thereof).

Sprint has a number of bluetooth phones, but I hesitate to go buy one, only to find by my own trial that it doesn't work. :tsk:

jesimmons
01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Sprint has a number of bluetooth phones, but I hesitate to go buy one, only to find by my own trial that it doesn't work. :tsk:

In looking at Sprint's currently available phones, the Sanyo Katana II seems to offer good feature list, reasonable price and includes Bluetooth. Anyone tried one with the 535i? I know its a long shot, but worth asking.

TontoG
01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Just picked up my 2008 550i :D, paired my Sprint Treo 755 without problems (so far)

jesimmons
02-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Just picked up my 2008 550i :D, paired my Sprint Treo 755 without problems (so far)

Congrats on the new 550i. And thanks of the info on the 755. I think that's more than I need / want to spend on a new phone. But will keep it in mind. :thumbup:

ua549
02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I had in fact gone to that site, and when I specified my model as 2008 535i, zero phones came up on the compatibility list for Sprint. :cry:

I too believe that some models will work, even if not specifically mentioned on the site. I suspect they only list phones that they have had opportunity to verify to operate with a minimum set of functionality. My guess is that 535i owners may have had success with various current phone models not listed, and can share their success (or lack thereof).

The BMW site in the UK has a much better list of compatible Bluetooth handsets here. (http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bluetooth/0,,1312_159981224__sit-bmwuk%40dht-aHR0cDovL3d3dy5iYXllcmlzY2hlYm13Lm5ld2RvbG4ubmV0,0 0.html#tabletop) They include the software level required. Chances are that the CDMA handsets contain the same Bluetooth capabilities as the GSM handsets.

When I was looking for a new AT&T phone, I was able to put my sim card in a potential handset and try pairing it with my 535i.
You could see if a salesman's functional handset will pair since you don't have a sim card on Sprint.

jesimmons
02-02-2008, 10:43 AM
You could see if a salesman's functional handset will pair since you don't have a sim card on Sprint.

Excellent idea. I'll have to wait though, as my 535i won't be delivered till early March. :cry:

bliebs77
02-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone; first post here as I just bought my car 2 weeks ago.

So, I have a Blackberry Curve, and I successfully paired it with no issues and got all the addresses loaded into the car. Three days later, the address book vanished, and the phone will no longer pair with the car.

Has this happened to anyone else?

dang
02-02-2008, 09:06 PM
I have an '06 530i and a Blackberry Curve 8830 from AT&T. I've been using it w/out issues (the address book has never disappeared from the car.)

I can do all the functions except I haven't tried SMS, and I don't think i'd ever try that. I can only imagine how difficult that would be.

rbraun
02-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Just bought a used 2008 528xi a week ago. My motorola razr V3m paired great and everything was fine until I tried to use my BMW assist. It would not work at all. I took the car in on 1-31-08 and its still there. The dealer is telling me that because my phone carrier is Alltel their software in not approved by BMW. This supposedly fried the tcu unit and a new one had to be ordered. They told me that it wouldn't be covered under warranty since the software on my phone was non approved. However they will have to cover it since their salesman was the one that paired the phone with the car when I took delivery.

Sorry to vent but are they being upfront with me. I can't understand that if the phone worked properly why it would affect the BMW assist function and fry the tcu. Is there anything I can do with my current phone? Or do I have to buy a phone with one of the approved carriers.

Thanks for any help regarding this matter.

Randy

jesimmons
02-04-2008, 10:44 AM
... their software is not approved by BMW. This supposedly fried the tcu unit and a new one had to be ordered. They told me that it wouldn't be covered under warranty since the software on my phone was non approved.
Randy

Does it say anywhere in the BMW manual or elsewhere that pairing with an unapproved phone / software version can cause damage to the tcu and should not be done?

(BTW, this sounds totally bogus to me).

rbraun
02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I was directed to this site by a BMW service advisor www.wireless4bmw.com/index.html

It does talk about compatible phones and software on the bottom of the page. I don't remember reading anything in the manual regarding this though. I'll have to check the manual when I get my car back later this week to see if this is stated.

It may not have been my phone that caused this to happen since I found a wireless headset in my car after I had taken delivery.

I have to agree with you that it all seems bogus.

stream
02-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Just bought a used 2008 528xi a week ago. My motorola razr V3m paired great and everything was fine until I tried to use my BMW assist. It would not work at all. I took the car in on 1-31-08 and its still there. The dealer is telling me that because my phone carrier is Alltel their software in not approved by BMW. This supposedly fried the tcu unit and a new one had to be ordered. They told me that it wouldn't be covered under warranty since the software on my phone was non approved. However they will have to cover it since their salesman was the one that paired the phone with the car when I took delivery.

Sorry to vent but are they being upfront with me. I can't understand that if the phone worked properly why it would affect the BMW assist function and fry the tcu. Is there anything I can do with my current phone? Or do I have to buy a phone with one of the approved carriers.

Thanks for any help regarding this matter.

Randy

I don't buy it. I'd push back hard, and if the dealer balks, tell them you want to speak to the regional BMW rep.

tlm999
02-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Does it say anywhere in the BMW manual or elsewhere that pairing with an unapproved phone / software version can cause damage to the tcu and should not be done?

(BTW, this sounds totally bogus to me).

It sounds bogus because it is bogus. There may be software issues with phones that are not compatible but using the wrong phone can not damage the hardware. Impossible!

rbraun
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. As of today my car still isn't fixed. I don't understand why they have to hook up with the engineers in New Jersey to fix a problem when the dealer already has it figured out. I guess I can't complain to much because they actually gave me the same car as a loaner.

Caarnut
02-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Sprint PalmTreo works fine for me.
Is there any way to listen to audiofiles from Treo using just blue tooth?
Thanks in advance for you help.

toofast4uu
02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
It sounds bogus because it is bogus. There may be software issues with phones that are not compatible but using the wrong phone can not damage the hardware. Impossible!

Interesting...I'm having the same exact problem in my 07 328XI...and the dealer is pulling the same bull**** about our LG8300 frying the phone/bmwassist computer.

I just don't comprehend how the phone could fry the cars hardware..we're talking radio waves here!

WTF...They've had my car for a week now...

rbraun
02-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Finally getting my car back tomorrow so I know exactly how you feel. They have had it since 1-31-08. They are still saying that my phone fried it somehow but they did not replace the tcu. They replaced the radio instead based on some engineer in New Jersey and I guess it works now. I'll see what the real story is tomorrow when I pick it up and post what happened. Do you think BMW financial could prorate my second payment since I only drove the car for 10 days before it went in for repair. Ha Ha.

lindaherrera
02-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Lucky!! I Just upgraded from a Treo 650 to the 755p, and the car can't detect the device. Neither device was listed, but the 650 worked fine. Getting tired of searching online for solutions..any suggestions?

jesimmons
02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
It seems like Phone integration via Bluetooth is a crap-shoot. It seems rediculous to have to pick a phone (and cellular service) based on what will work with the car. This technology has a long way to mature. :cry:

I thought I could have this all figured out before my new car arrived, but it sounds now like its purely a trial-and-error process. keep trying phones and services till something works reasonably well.

Bradleyjs
02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
----------------------------------------------
Phone model: Fusic by LG (Sprint)
Car model: 2006 550i
[X] ability to make/receive calls
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[X] calling name display (using adddress book) - added via Voice Control
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS - not tested

I can't get the "Send Contact to Bluetooth" contact option to successfully send/push the contact to the car's address book. It [the phone] prompts me to disconnect the BT connection then it tries to push the contact; which won't work w/out a trusted connection.

If anyone knows how to do it pls let me know. I just "manually" add Named contacts via the Voice Control option "Save Name".

heldclan
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I JUST happened to find out today from my service adviser that my AT&T phone is not BMW compatible, which is funny because there hasn't been any issues with using the phone via bluetooth in this car. The issue I am having is sluggish response time when I push the voice command button for whatever (entertainment, nav, etc), not phone connectivity bluetooth issues. The dealer we bought the car from sync'd the Sony Ericsson all up without issue. Maybe this will be helpful to somebody.

Phone model: Sony Ericsson Z520a (2 years old):thumbup:
Car model: 525i 2007
[X ] ability to make/receive calls
[X ] phone book automatically synches to car
[X ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[X ] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS

Now, my question.......

We are now able to upgrade our phones, but there are only like 6 BMW compatible phones that will supposedly work. Unfortunately, the only one I would even slightly be interested in would be the Motorola Razr, but the reviews are not favorable on this phone. I would much rather have a Nokia for it's reliability. And I have no desire to get an Apple iPhone. Does anyone have any experience with the Nokia flip phones in the 5 series?

And why is BMW only compabitible with so few phones from certain cell phone providers?:thumbdwn:

Clark
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
We zoom round in an 07 530xi and talk on 2 Treo 700wx’s and the address book does not transfer. The dealer recommended looking for a patch (I found one at Jetware Bluetooth Profile Extensions) but am not sure if it will work, is there something better out there, etc.

Any input, besides ditch the phone, would be helpful.

Thanks gang!

B. Diddy
02-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Just got a Samsung SCH-i760 smartphone from Verizon, seems to work fine with my 2008 535i.

TBB13
02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
They are not even selling the phones on the approved list for Sprint. Anyone finding success with a current model?

feld
02-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I have an 08 328i, my Touch HTC with sprint works great. I don't think I am able to do SMS.

sk-mia
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
The bmwusa web site gives information about BT phones which is not wery well figured-out, as one may buy a cellular phone in Europe, for example, which will not appear in the listing on the bmwusa web site. Namely, I have Mototola SLVR L7, which is a T-Mobile's phone in Europe, while in the US it is exclusively AT&T's. In addition, my phone's software still fully works with my 325i regardless of being older than what has been specified in the compatibility chart under AT&T's SLVR. Which reders this web site pretty useless. I believe that most of the cellular phone providers will let you try to connect the phone to your car before you buy it. I understand that it may not be fun, because it will casue a lot of back and forth if the phone proves not to be compatible, but still, one will not be forced to buy something and then have it not working. THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!

TBB13
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
The idea to check and see if the phone works before buying sounds good unless you buy into the fact that it might work for awhile and then cause major problems. I spoke with our local BMW bluetooth expert at our dealership and he told me that if I used my Treo it would work fine for awhile and then shut my I Drive down. He said to only use the phones on the list. Well as I said before you cannot buy ANY of the phones on the list at the local Sprint dealer. Well I went ahead and Paired my Sons MuZIQ sprint phone ands it works fine. It did not however bring in the contacts. I have bought a phone from the list on EBAY and will let you know how that goes.

sk-mia
03-02-2008, 05:17 PM
The idea to check and see if the phone works before buying sounds good unless you buy into the fact that it might work for awhile and then cause major problems. I spoke with our local BMW bluetooth expert at our dealership and he told me that if I used my Treo it would work fine for awhile and then shut my I Drive down. He said to only use the phones on the list. Well as I said before you cannot buy ANY of the phones on the list at the local Sprint dealer. Well I went ahead and Paired my Sons MuZIQ sprint phone ands it works fine. It did not however bring in the contacts. I have bought a phone from the list on EBAY and will let you know how that goes.

Oops, I would never even thought that something like that could happen. Which by the way is scary, because it means that there is something building up in the Bimmer and then later it causes problems. I assumed that this would be a regular electronic thing, i.e., that it either works or does not. Anyway, I am glad that it appears that you are coping with it fairly well, because I would likely be very peed off. To me, the BT is really NOT some brain surgery and as such it should work as long as there is a BT connectivity in the car!
Your case actually should have prompted BMW to really try to keep the BT compatibility list always updated and correct, in addition to me noting that it should also include cellular phones not just sold in the US, because some of US have the opportunities to buy our cellular phones elsewhere! I hope that BMW is also listening to this, and I believe that this is not too much of a weird request for them!

zanotti
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
As far as I know, BMW's Bluetooth software only supports primary stand-alone cellular devices. I've yet to hear of any Bluetooth device, incorporating cellular capability, being compatible with BMW's Bluetooth software, PDA's, BlackBerry, etc.

Not true. Some BB's work, some do not.

See:

http://www.wireless4bmw.com/

richardarchitec
03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Phone model:
Car model: 2008 528i
[ ] calling name display (using adddress book)

I have a Palm Treo 750 with AT&T. Phone will sync and I can make/receive calls. I can get the "Quick Dial" numbers on the phone's main screen synced to the car, but not the address book - go figure. So I just have lots of Quick Dials!

Tanman
03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Do you have WM5 or WM6 in your touch? My locks up every time the bluetooth connects after the connection is done (IE the car is shut off).

Thanks.

mali77
03-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I have a 08 535i, my Nokia E65 pairs with the car and I can make and receive calls but cannot access address book. Any ideas?

mack7
03-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey Mail77 it is somthing to do with the Symbian software in the latest Nokia phones thats not compatable with the BMW Bluetooth.

I found this workaround on another forum, try it and let me know how you go.

Hi All,

Just bought a Nokia n95 and I paired it to my Gen3 ULF last night and transfered the phonebook.

Here's how to get the phone book across. (its a bit fiddly but works)

If you have already paired the phone (n95), then delete the paring on the phone.

Start the paring process again;

Press and hold the pair button,
Turn on ignition (stage 1),
Wait 3 seconds, release pair button,
ULF goes to paring mode,
Search and find ULF,
Select and input code,
Confirm pairing and connect, (this is normally where you then switch off the ignition to save the pair, DON'T)

While still in the pairing/connected mode go to the "contacts" on the phone,
Mark 10/15 contacts and use send business card -> via blue-tooth -> bmwxxxxx,

Then select another 10/15 and same again until all the contacts are transfered,

When finished the turn off the ignition to save the pair and address book transfer.

Wait until the phone disconnects with the car, then turn on ignition and hey presto the phone book is available.

This should work for any symbian phone, no SMS but thats no biggy

jesimmons
03-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Well.. Today I took a chance. Stopped by the Sprint Store and picked up a Sanyo Katana DLX phone.

I decided on the Katana since I was looking for a good all around phone with Bluetooth. Didn't need a PDA Phone, and the overall reviews of the Katana DLX I read on the web were favorable.

My initial experience was positive with the 535i's iDrive / Hands Free system.

I haven't done an extensive check of all possible features, but the following basics worked first try:

1) Phone paired with the car.
2) Address book downloaded successfully to the car. Entries with multiple phone numbers in the phone's address book came into the car as multiple instances of the same name - but with a qualifier on the end for home, mobile, work, etc. like:

Alan (H)
Alan (M)
Alan (W)

3) I could place calls using the iDrive menus and address book in the car.
4) I could receive incoming calls and answer them using the controls on the steering wheel.

I did not test other functionality, but was excited to get this far in the first 5 minutes. I will do more extensive testing and report back when I have more complete info to share.

bevo1990
03-23-2008, 03:58 PM
The BlackBerry Pearl (Research In Motion 8100) appears to be fully compatible, at least with a 2006 525i. The only glitch I had was the device access number, but when I was told you can enter any four digit number with BMWs it solved the problem.

jesimmons
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Since there seams to be a serious lack of good info about currently available Sprint cell phones that work with BMW hands-free, here's my attempt at following Jonathan Spiro's format (see Bmwcca.org) for reviewing the Sanyo Katana Dlx.

I was really nervous about picking a phone, given the finiky nature of phones and hands-free car systems. But Saturday I took a gamble and picked up a new Sanyo Katana Dlx. I won't go into the phone itself other than to say I really like it - I did some web research ahead of time and there are plenty of good reviews of this phone. For the most part it gets high marks from those who have been using it for a while. The areas it was given lower marks were things I won't use much anyway.

Anyway for those who are looking for a good phone (Not PDA) with plenty of features and works well with BMW's car system (At least the 2008 535i), here you go....

Beware, though... I've only been using the phone with the car for 3 days. So far no issues. I've read that some phones may work for a while, then stop working with the car. So in that respect, the jury is still out on this one. But I'm cautiously optimistic and even more hopeful that won't happen here.

Phone: Sanyo Katana Dlx (http://us.sanyo.com/wireless/handsets/index.cfm?productID=1498)
Carrier: Sprint

Car Tested: 2008 BMW 535i (no Navigation Package)

Bluetooth cell phone test results:
Sound Quality: 8
Mobile pairs to car: Yes
Audio (receive/transmit): Yes
Transfer of phone book: Yes (See Note 1)
Place calls using dial by number: Yes
Receive calls: Yes
Display of signal strength: Yes
Place calls via speech recognition (i.e. dial by name): Yes (see note 2)
Caller ID for incoming calls - what shows up on display: Name (if number matches entry in phone book), otherwise number.
Rings through vehicle: Yes
Send/end call: Yes

Phone Info:
Software Rev: 1.010SP
Hardware: 0203
PRL: 60610

Notes:

1) Address book transferred completely. When a Katana phone book entry had multiple numbers for a name- e.g. home, work, and mobile, the iDrive menu showed each separately like this:

John (H)
John (W)
John (M)

2) Because I didn't have the NAV option, I had to manually set up voice dial name/number entries per the BMW manual instructions. Worked fine.

WillInDenver
03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I just traded in my Blackberry Pearl (8100) for a Curve (8320). Absolutely no trouble pairing the Curve with my '05 545i. Address book was there immediately.

lindsb233
03-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Anyone have any luck getting the system to pair with the LG vx9900 (ENV)? I can get the phone and radio to pair, but the system just sits there with the message "Loading Phonebook". I've waited approximately 15 minutes, but the message does not disappear.

I recently bought a 2005 330ci with nav and also have an LG vx9900 (EnV). I did not receive the phone manual with the car and wondered if anyone can let me know how to set up the car to work with my phone. I have been going through all the menus and have not seen anything that sounds like it has to do with pairing the two.

lindsb233
03-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I recently bought a 2005 330ci with nav and also have an LG vx9900 (EnV). I did not receive the phone manual with the car and wondered if anyone can let me know how to set up the car to work with my phone. I have been going through all the menus and have not seen anything that sounds like it has to do with pairing the two.

Update: I was able to get the car to see the phone and vice versa. Only problem I'm having now is that I do not have a passkey because that information did not come with the car when I bought it. Is there a way to reset the passkey so that I can start from scratch? :confused:

LDV330i
03-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Update: I was able to get the car to see the phone and vice versa. Only problem I'm having now is that I do not have a passkey because that information did not come with the car when I bought it. Is there a way to reset the passkey so that I can start from scratch? :confused:The passkey should be in a card in the inner flap of your manual portfolio. I do not believe you can modify the passkey. The passkey is also located on the underside of the BT module located in the trunk. You would literally have to remove the module to view the passkey. The dealer should also be able to help you.

Kzang
03-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Update: I was able to get the car to see the phone and vice versa. Only problem I'm having now is that I do not have a passkey because that information did not come with the car when I bought it. Is there a way to reset the passkey so that I can start from scratch? :confused:

Default passkey IF you didn't change it is 0000

bajanjack
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
The BlackBerry Pearl (Research In Motion 8100) appears to be fully compatible, at least with a 2006 525i. The only glitch I had was the device access number, but when I was told you can enter any four digit number with BMWs it solved the problem.

The BB Pearl 8130 works perfectly with mine...........:)

Brit_in_NJ
04-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I was looking for this info before I bought my car so I thought I should post it after purchasing and trying it out.

I successfully paired my AT&T Tilt (aka HTC Kaiser aka HTC TyTN II) with my 2005 545. As far as I can tell right now everything is working well....the sound is good...just an occasional crackle but hard to tell right now if it’s the Bluetooth or something at the other end of the line. The address book seems to be there as well at least all the contacts I needed so far!

Erregend
04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Virgin Mobile has started selling the LG Flare.

It supports these Bluetooth Profiles:
Headset (HSP) / Handsfree (HFP) /
Dial-up networking (http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/LG-Flare-phone-pa_2685.html#) (DUN) / Object Push (OPP) /
Generic Access (GAP) / Serial Port (SPP) /
Service Discovery Application (SDAP)

Do you think it might work in an E93?

tcesar888
04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Any tips on this...

Blackberry Pearl 8130 (Verizon)

While at the dealer, the tech helped me pair up my phone. Everything worked; even the address book, caller-id etc... Got in the car this morning; no address book. Just a giant speaker phone!

I went thru the setup from scratch... Nothing!

Any ideas on why my address book worked, among all other cool features, and today its not there? :mad:

Thanks!

Tom

WillInDenver
04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Any tips on this...

Blackberry Pearl 8130 (Verizon)

Any ideas on why my address book worked, among all other cool features, and today its not there? :mad:It worked fine with my Pearl, except occasionally the address book did not come across - like 4 times in 4 months. Generally, the next time I got into the car, it was there again.

tcesar888
04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
It worked fine with my Pearl, except occasionally the address book did not come across - like 4 times in 4 months. Generally, the next time I got into the car, it was there again.

Hey Will, thank you!

Yup, it came back... I think it has something to do with the size of your address book. It takes some "time" for it to transfer if its larger... I think thats what it is anyway.

Mahalo,

Tom

nfretta
04-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Just got my 135 and want to get bluetooth working any suggestions for the compatible phone Thank you

lindsb233
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
The passkey should be in a card in the inner flap of your manual portfolio. I do not believe you can modify the passkey. The passkey is also located on the underside of the BT module located in the trunk. You would literally have to remove the module to view the passkey. The dealer should also be able to help you.

Thanks for the info. Where about is the BT module located in the trunk? I went looking around in there after reading a couple posts about pairing and didn't find anything.

kscarrol
04-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the info. Where about is the BT module located in the trunk? I went looking around in there after reading a couple posts about pairing and didn't find anything.

I hope you're not looking in the trunk to find a Passkey code!:D You can use any four digit number as long as you enter the same code on the phone and the car. For my old RAZR I used "0000" and for my iPhone I used "1234". Very creative huh!

jesimmons
04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Just got my 135 and want to get bluetooth working any suggestions for the compatible phone Thank you

Depends on who your cell service provider is. Check the BMWCCA.ORG site too. Johnathan Spira has put together a nice set of phone reviews and how they fare with the BMW BT/iDrive system.

M Style III
04-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Finally was able to get around to this:

Phone model: Samsung SGH-D807 & Moto Razr V3
Car model: 05 530i
[x ] ability to make/receive calls

However, I have not tried the other 4 features yet. My guess is that the Razr will perform most, if not all of these (as the majority found out) but as for the Samsung, it remains to be determined.

:thumbup:

lindsb233
04-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I hope you're not looking in the trunk to find a Passkey code!:D You can use any four digit number as long as you enter the same code on the phone and the car. For my old RAZR I used "0000" and for my iPhone I used "1234". Very creative huh!

Sadly, I did look in the trunk for the BT module but didn't look too hard so I'm not that much of a dork. :) I tried "0000" and "1234", the last 4 of the VIN, the last 5 of the VIN, and....nothing. I think it's just my phone (LG enV). It is not one of the phones on the compatible list but I read of others having success linking them. I might just give up. I am hoping to get an iPhone once the 2nd generation comes out so maybe I'll have more luck with that. Thanks!

Gus545i
04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Just got a Samsung SCH-i760 smartphone from Verizon, seems to work fine with my 2008 535i.

That's strange! .... My Verizon Samsung i760 will not pair with my 05 545i.

Gus545i
04-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I have a 08 535i, my Nokia E65 pairs with the car and I can make and receive calls but cannot access address book. Any ideas?

Not a problem .... Just assigned a speed dial number to all of your contacts. Your car should then upload the speed dial contacts. At least that's how I solve my contacts problem. Good luck :)

Gus545i
04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
The passkey should be in a card in the inner flap of your manual portfolio. I do not believe you can modify the passkey. The passkey is also located on the underside of the BT module located in the trunk. You would literally have to remove the module to view the passkey. The dealer should also be able to help you.

Just where is the BT Module located in the trunk??

ed2008
05-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I've searched threads and lists on this site and BMWCCA's site for answers, but still think there may be options out there that will give me everything I'm looking for. Here is my situation:

I have a free cell phone (hardware & service) provided by my employer on an AT&T plan. I can buy a new phone through work for a big discount. On 6/30/08 I take delivery (in Munich, sorry Munchen) on a 335i coupe, spark graph, black, gray pop, prem, sport, cold, nav, comfort, hd, satellite, usb/ipod.

I would like to take a bluetooth compatible phone with me to have the Welt staff assist in setting it up for full functionality in Europe. In addition, I don't want to spend a lot of money for a phone. I like the phone to be small to fit in my pants pocket. If I can find a cheap (less than $130), compatible phone on the AT&T list from my IT guy, then all is well.

The problem is that the phones on that list are not (exactly) on any of the lists that BMW, Mr. Spira or X5-world has published.

I'm pretty sure the list from IT is up-to-date on cellphone model #'s. Is there way to determine what the differences might be between models on one list versus another. For example, BMW lists a motorola V3 as compabible, Mr. Spira says it is limited, but a guy on the BMWCCA forum says his V3i works fine in all respects. On my list from work, I have an option for a motorola V3XX.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jay_530iA
05-05-2008, 06:50 AM
HTC S730 Windows Mobile Smartphone..

Works !! Call receives, makes , Phonebook. fine

Jay_530iA
05-05-2008, 06:50 AM
HTC S730 Windows Mobile Smartphone..

Works !! Call receives, makes , Phonebook. fine

TMQ
05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Is there a more comprehensive list (not just the short list from wireless4bmw)? I'm planning to get a new phone (and stay with the current carrier)?

Kzang
05-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Phone model: Blackberry Curve 8330 ( Verizon )
Car model: MY07 525i
[x ] phone book automatically synches to car
[x ] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[x ] calling name display (using adddress book)

I just want to note that when synching the address book this is almost instant the bluetooth is enabled. Versus my previous phone HTC mogul took up to 5 minutes to synch all the contacts.

troybal
05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
My Phone model: Verizon Samsung SCH-A950
[x ] ability to make/receive calls (works)
[ ] phone book automatically syncs to car (Does not work)
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system) (does not work)
[ ] calling name display (using address book) (Does not work)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS (have not tried yet)

The Wife's Phone model: T-Mobile Motorola KRZR K1
[x] ability to make/receive calls (works)
[x] phone book automatically syncs to car (Works)
[x] dial by name (without verbal training of system) (Works)
[x] calling name display (using address book) (Works)

Both of our phones are programed on the same car, with me as primary.
If she drives she has to move her phone up via the idrive settings.

shiraishis
05-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Hello ladies and gents I just ubgrade from the motorola razor to the Wing! its fully functional with my 2005 530i!

Bimmer550
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
The new Samsung Glyde appears to be fully capable w/ my '08 550i. Cool phone. I'm making this post with it now! :)

mdall
06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I just bought a 2005 530I. My phone connected via bluetooth with no difficulty.

I have a LGVX8500.

p3style
06-07-2008, 03:25 PM
My Phone model: ATT BB 8820
Car model: 2004 545i
[x ] ability to make/receive calls (works)
[ ] phone book automatically syncs to car (Does not work)
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system) (does not work)
[ ] calling name display (using address book) (Does not work)

Maybe a silly Q - but how do I know if the address book, etc is syncing?

p3style
06-08-2008, 01:56 PM
My Phone model: ATT BB 8820
Car model: 2004 545i
[x] ability to make/receive calls
[x] phone book automatically syncs to car
[x] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[x] calling name display (using address book)

gotcha
06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Phone model: Verizon windows mobile ppc XV6700
Car model: 05' 530I
[x] phone book automatically synches to car
[unsure] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[x] calling name display (using adddress book)

DIV
06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
It doesn't look like my Sanyo Katana fully syncs.:tsk::cry:I was able to pair them up, but so far it doesn't look like there's phone book transfer and the phone button on the steerling wheel doesn't do anything other than makes my phone beep that there's in incoming request from the car.:mad:

CJ9999
06-13-2008, 02:12 AM
My Phone model: Samsung U700
Car model: 2005 545i

jesimmons
06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
It doesn't look like my Sanyo Katana fully syncs.:tsk::cry:I was able to pair them up, but so far it doesn't look like there's phone book transfer and the phone button on the steerling wheel doesn't do anything other than makes my phone beep that there's in incoming request from the car.:mad:

Interesting... The Sanyo Katana DLX works perfectly in my '08 535i. I'm very pleased with it. Could be that the DLX version works better with BMW Bluetooth, though. :dunno:

tex_phil
06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Just had the software upgraded in my 04 e60, iPhone works great.

BMWOfChoice
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Just got the Sprint Samsung Instinct. Best phone i've ever had, Supposed to be the Iphone killer and bet it lives up to its name!

johnfmcg
06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Sprint Sanyo Katana LX
Car model: 2008 Z4
[unsure] dial by name (without verbal training of system)

Goldie1968
07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
works flawless...had a blackberry 700i that never worked at all

hakan530xi
07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Car model: 2006 530xi - Blackberry Pearl

leesburgbimmer
07-05-2008, 01:38 PM
That's strange! .... My Verizon Samsung i760 will not pair with my 05 545i.

My Samsung U740 will not work at all in my 04 530I.:mad: What to do - get a new phone?

Mo Arthur
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Did you have to upgrade software in your car or phone to get the Instinct to sync via bluetooth?? I have an 07 335i and have not been able to pair the bluetooth with my Instinct....works fine with my Treo or Razor?? Thanks.

kent9272
07-09-2008, 07:06 AM
My Nokia E90 works but I can't access my contacts and the connection is pretty bad, drops al the time

Billd104
07-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Anyone have any success with a Motorola V9 RAZR2?? BMW is now producing a snap-in adapter for the V8/V9 but it's not on the approved list for AT&T only Verizon??

barl0
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
can we order a new IPHONE adaptor any time soon..which will accomodate the changes to the new IPHONE 3G?

Billd104
07-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Phone model: Motorola V9 AT&T
Car model: 2007 530xiT
[X] phone book automatically synches to car
[X] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[X] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS (Not tested yet)
I went out on a limb to test it for everyone. The phone works flawlessly with no issues at this point. I have had it for a little over 24 hours but it looks good to start. My phone has software version R263311_U_9C.13.37.R3 My 5er is running progman 29.02.01. :thumbup:

jasonrhcastle
07-11-2008, 09:54 PM
iPhone 3G

arh1000
07-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I need to try my new Treo 800W...just got it today and need to see if it works. It should be fine since my 700Wx worked but you never know. Wish me luck!

jglos
07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Verizon LG - VX8350
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS (Not tested yet)[/QUOTE]

I just got the new phone today, Replace an older LG VX8300 series phone. I got it to pair once I figured out the Pairing code was not preset. You just have to enter the confirmation code on the car side. The trick was figuring out what the "enter key (move the iDrive controller down)" I recently brought a CPO 2005 545 and the bluetooth cell phone manual is missing. The dealer did the initial configuration.

barl0
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
IPHONE 3G >> this thing rocks! now gimme my cradle!

Snareman
07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
one of the things not addressed here is the quality of calls. I've tried several phones with my car and the person on the other end always says I sound horrible! So much that I'm guilted into taking the phone off the bluetooth and holding it up to my ear. There are a few phones it seems to work ok with though.

Billd104
07-15-2008, 11:13 AM
one of the things not addressed here is the quality of calls. I've tried several phones with my car and the person on the other end always says I sound horrible! So much that I'm guilted into taking the phone off the bluetooth and holding it up to my ear. There are a few phones it seems to work ok with though.

I have had no problem with voice or call quality with my RAZR V3 or my new RAZR2 V9. I think the V9 actually sounds better than the V3 IMHO.

MadMigMR2
07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
idrive software updated in december 2007

qtek 9000

iphone first gen
[ ] phone book automatically synches to car (didn't had the iphone enough time connect to sync the contacts (iphone wasn't mine))
[ ] calling name display (note tested)

I'm still waiting for my iphone 3G (out of stock in portugal)

kent9272
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
The Nokia E90 stunk, the BB Curve was the best and now my new Nokia N81 stinks too.

Connection drops all the time, damn phone keeps syncing by itself and I can not get access to the contacts.

F10
07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Phone model: Nokia 6205 (Verizon)
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system) (haven't tried this yet)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS (haven't tried this yet)

I went to the Verizon store and bought a Motorola V9m--it synched up via bluetooth fine however the sound quality was very thin so I returned it. I also tried the Motorola W755 and W385. Tried a couple other models of other brands in the store as well. Finally I bought the Nokia 6205 and tested it. It synches via bluetooth fine. This has better sound quality than all of the other phones that I tried. Interestingly enough it also seems to sound better on bluetooth than the Motorola which surprised me.

So far I will say that I'm glad that I waited until the Nokia 6205 came out. I've always had Motorola phones, thinking that they were the best sound quality--but my older Motorola phone sounded better than any of the newer generation Motorola phones. And the Nokia 6205 sounds even better than the old Motorola that I had.

The only way that the Motorola V9m was better than the Nokia 6205 was that when I got out of the car and walked away it would keep the call that I was on active during the switchover. With the Nokia 6205 it dropped the call and I had to redial. Admittedly I've only tried this once--and I will try it again to see if it can work. This is admittedly a small point though.

dubseller
07-18-2008, 09:09 AM
+1 on the BB Curve. Works Perfectly every time!

Mysticblue325i
07-18-2008, 12:33 PM
iPhone 3G

[X] slight echo, annoying as hell

arh1000
07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Treo 800W works same as the Treo 700WX meaning it required the JetWare to stay paired. Once JetWare installed..PERFECT...details below....

Phone model: Treo 800W Sprint
[X] phone book automatically synch to car
[X] calling name display (using address book)

Daytona550
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Phone model: ATT (HTC) 8525 with Windows OS 6
Car model: 2008 550i
[X] dial by name
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS (is this even possible?)

One strange thing is that I can voice command to dial a name (say a client's office named Acme) and Acme will show up in the display and the call will complete perfectly. However, scroll thru the A-Z and Acme is nowhere to be found (although it is in my phone's "contacts"). :dunno:

Also, anyone know how to access my phone's "quick dial numbers" thru Idrive? On the phone, you can press the green (telephone/dial/redial) button and press down on the thumbwheel and a screen with my 8 or 10 speed dials come up. I cannot duplicate those keystrokes with the Idrive wheel but maybe there's another shortcut?

troybal
08-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Phone model: Vx9700 LG Dare (Verizon)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS (haven't tried this yet)

Works like a champ!

go2ucla
08-02-2008, 04:44 PM
I just got a Nokia E51 and the bluetooth connection with my 2008 528I drops every 30 seconds to 1 minute. It keeps connecting and disconnecting all the time. It is quite frustrating. I am thinking of returning the phone - but it's so nice. Darn, my Nokia 6682 and Nokia E62 both worked just fine.

Anyone has any experience with the E51? Would it work if I upgrade the PC Suite Software - it seems Nokia just released a new version.

Thanks.

momo_oo[][]oo
08-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Phone model:Treo 755p (Sprint)
Car model: 2008 535i
[x] dial by number (without verbal training of system)
[-] calling name display (using adddress book)

I love it way better that the BTUM 8000 in the 7

bfebets
08-05-2008, 01:58 AM
I synced my new IPhone, 3G, to the 06' 525i I bought and it works great. I just got the car so, I dont have the voice commands working but, using the IDrive to dial my address book works great.:thumbup:

BimmerRules!
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
My company pays for my Treo 700p. Service is with Verizon service but we were required to install a separate software from another vendor ("Good") for my MS Outlook and contacts.

Receive calls - yes
Make calls - yes, but only by dialing the #.

Other phone functionality - none

I was initially pissed but then realized that this is probably due to the link thru the vendor. Though I am glad that I can receive calls and dial numbers, I am not that happy that the phone book has not been transferred, which deprives me the ability to pull up numbers by name on the car.

lmoon2550
08-09-2008, 03:17 PM
BMW salesman told me today to ditch the Samsung. They don't work with Audis, Jags or BMWs. My phone works fine, but no phonebook.

Me60
08-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I've spent days forum surfing trying to find a definitive answer regarding iPhone 2G w/ 2.0 or 2.0.1 software syncing contacts (address book) from iPhone to iDrive.

This was my setup:
2004 530i 03/04 build
Complete progman update on 08/05/08 and paid stealer add'l $134 to install bluetooth software in iDrive
iPhone 2G unlocked / jailbroken to 2.0 using pwnage

This was my problem:
I could pair the iPhone via bluetooth, make and receive calls, but I could not get the address book to sync over. When I'd go into A - Z it would always say 'Please Wait ...' . It would not show numbers missed in 'Missed Calls'. It would not list anything in my 'top 8', etc.. Basically nothing worked except I could place and receive calls via the phone or manually dial the number via idrive controller.

It is now fixed!!
Last night I downgraded my iPhone back to 1.1.4 and everything works great! Address book syncs. 'Missed Calls' , 'Received Calls' , 'Top 8', etc ... all work properly. Voice dial works - although you have to be loud and articulate - more so than with the general voice commands.

From this, my conclusion is that any E60 (and likely other models) since 03/04 will pair and offer full functionality of bluetooth with pre 3G iPhones running 1.1.4 (even after downgrading from 2.0 or 2.0.1) with E60 at current progman and bluetooth software.

If you need help downgrading your iPhone see:
http://www.anewmorning.com/2008/07/20/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-20-to-114/#comment-2855
and
http://www.brooksgarrett.com/hacking/downgrading-iphone-1g-20-to-114

2004 530i 03/04 build. Current progman and bluetooth software.
iPhone 2G downgraded from 2.0 back to 1.1.4

-Steve

kevink257
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I saw your updated rely and was delighted you were able to pair the phonebook to your BMW. I just ordered the same BB 8820 thru ATT and have a 2007 530i. Any tips you could share around the pairing....it looked like your inital pairing was unsuccessful for the phone book.

nashgirl
08-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow. I just joined this forum to learn more about about all of this phone craziness.
I accepted delivery of my 2008 328xi wagon on August 2nd. The salesperson paired my Treo (verizon) and Treo Centro (verizon) for me. There was never mention of having to have a particular phone or service provider.
This evening my car started making a very loud buzzing noise as I approched it. I turned it on, the buzzing continued, I backed it out of my garage and turned it off with the buzzing continuing even after I removed the key. I immediately drove to my dealership, buzzing all the way there. The buzzing stopped after the car had been turned off for about 10 minutes.
The service manager told me that my "unapproved" phone may have fried my computer. I told him that his salesperson paired the phone, and if anyone should know what is "unapproved", I'd think the salesperson would. In other words, BMW is responsible for this mess! They gave me a loaner car which I will keep until this is resolved.
Both phones have worked perfectly until now. Bluetooth is a very important feature for me as a safety feature and a convenience.
I'm pretty annoyed by all of this. Any words of wisdom or advice would be much appreciated!

Erregend
08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
My first comment to the Service Manager would be "Bull S**t!, Prove My Phone damaged the car!"

dlm2243
08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
BMW bluetooth works with the Iphone, it syncs the address book and pops up on the nav computer who is calling. The only thing that does not work is if you want to listen to voicemail, you have to listen through the phone.

johnjohn
08-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Hello guys and girls.
My first posting here, hope to find lots of useful info. Bought a new E60 model 5-series in Norway back in 2004, sold it in May this year due to spending majority of time in Cape Town. Down there we have a 2007 model 530D as our primary family car. It works good on the roads. Few speed traps, ok quality highways, lots of opportunities for 200kmh+/120mph speeds, unless wife and kids are on board. Wife does enjoy and feels safe with cruising speed of 160-180kmh/100-110mph.

Anyone succeeded in getting HTC TyTNII working with bluetooth setup? I tried first time a few weeks ago, but did not have patience to keeep at it when it did not complete process.

BusinessesAtoZ
08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Currently I have the Motorola W385 phone from Boost Unlimited it has bluetooth but my phone is not compatible does any one know if I upgrade to the MOTOKRZR K1m if it will work?

obmd1
08-24-2008, 06:25 PM
The service manager told me that my "unapproved" phone may have fried my computer.

absolute BS. you may have a bad tcu, which is a known issue, if it continues....

no way something linked essentially as a two way radio 'fried' anything.... what tools people can be sometimes....

kscarrol
08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Not that I agree with it, but apparently BMW has an SIB out describing the use of unapproved phones and the problems they may cause. It also states that it is not considered a warranty issue...

See post #10 in this thread for the text of BMW's position.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=60387&hl=bluetooth

momo_oo[][]oo
09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
when i use my phone to dial numbers by using the actual phone it shows in the display cal active ***** and i dont hear nothing and i have to use the phone it self not the Mic and speakers of the car, does this happend to any one or my car/phone are on crack?

BGMurphy2008
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Can someone explain why the music from my 3G iphone won't play in my 2008 535xi? I have a cable provided by the dealer which, when connected to an ipod touch, works fine in playing the music and importing the music info to the screen. But the iphone, though working as a phone through the car's bluetooth, does not play music-a message comes up on the screen to that effect.

Does anyone know if there is a solution? I have searched quite a bit and not found a solution in this forum.

Thanks very much.

BGM

tom @ eas
09-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Can someone explain why the music from my 3G iphone won't play in my 2008 535xi? I have a cable provided by the dealer which, when connected to an ipod touch, works fine in playing the music and importing the music info to the screen. But the iphone, though working as a phone through the car's bluetooth, does not play music-a message comes up on the screen to that effect.

Does anyone know if there is a solution? I have searched quite a bit and not found a solution in this forum.

Thanks very much.

BGM

The BMW & iPhone transmit/receive music via BT - only phone-specific commands.

A2DP is what you are referring to, which the iPhone is not capable of.

BGMurphy2008
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
The BMW & iPhone transmit/receive music via BT - only phone-specific commands.

A2DP is what you are referring to, which the iPhone is not capable of.

----

Thanks for responding, Tom. I am under the impression that the capability you are referring to, A2DP, would allow the music on an iphone to play through the car's speakers by bluetooth. I thought it was possible, with the appropriate cable, to plug the iphone into a usb connection and play the iphone music through the speakers and have the music info on the screen. That is what i am doing now with an ipod touch (the cable has both a usb connection and a male/female connection). Is there know way to play the music from an iphone with a cable?

BGM

tom @ eas
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
----

Thanks for responding, Tom. I am under the impression that the capability you are referring to, A2DP, would allow the music on an iphone to play through the car's speakers by bluetooth. I thought it was possible, with the appropriate cable, to plug the iphone into a usb connection and play the iphone music through the speakers and have the music info on the screen. That is what i am doing now with an ipod touch (the cable has both a usb connection and a male/female connection). Is there know way to play the music from an iphone with a cable?

BGM

Yes, either the BMW iPod kit or mObridge will utilize the iPod specific features from the iPhone or touch.

Here's your choice of iPod integration kits:

BMW - iPod Integration Kit for e60 5-series
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=394

mObridge - iPod integration kit for e60 5-series
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1648

If audio is all you are looking for, AUX will work as a cheap solution.

kscarrol
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks very much.

BGM

A little clarification would help. Do you have the factory installed iPod option in the center console or are you connecting using the iPod adapter in the glove box. If you are using the factory option with cable (as it sounds to me) then yes, the iPod that is part of the iPhone should play and be controlled thru the iDrive. Do you have the iPhone set to the iPod when you plug it in? As I recall, you have to turn on the iPod in the iPhone, then you can control using the iDrive. If not, there is no way to turn on the iPod using the iDrive if that makes sense.

BGMurphy2008
09-03-2008, 08:04 PM
A little clarification would help. Do you have the factory installed iPod option in the center console or are you connecting using the iPod adapter in the glove box. If you are using the factory option with cable (as it sounds to me) then yes, the iPod that is part of the iPhone should play and be controlled thru the iDrive. Do you have the iPhone set to the iPod when you plug it in? As I recall, you have to turn on the iPod in the iPhone, then you can control using the iDrive. If not, there is no way to turn on the iPod using the iDrive if that makes sense.

Thanks. I didn't know the iphone has to be in ipod mode before connecting it to the cable in the center console. I will try it. I am curious to see whether the iphone will still work as a phone when connected in this fashion.

BGM

BGMurphy2008
09-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks. I didn't know the iphone has to be in ipod mode before connecting it to the cable in the center console. I will try it. I am curious to see whether the iphone will still work as a phone when connected in this fashion.

BGM

Fwiw, it didn't work, notwithstanding being in ipod mode. When connected to the cable, a message comes up on the iphone that says something like "this device does not work with iphone." Anyone have any other suggestions beyond spending a lot of money for something I already thought I had purchased?

Thanks.

BGM

kscarrol
09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Fwiw, it didn't work, notwithstanding being in ipod mode. When connected to the cable, a message comes up on the iphone that says something like "this device does not work with iphone." Anyone have any other suggestions beyond spending a lot of money for something I already thought I had purchased?

Thanks.

BGM

I use a stand alone iPod for the car. Just tried my iPhone and both iPod and cellphone work as advertised. Plugged in, the iPod works thru the iDrive and I can make and receive calls over the BT connections. My phone is the 1st gen w/ 2.0.2 software. Sounds like a trip to the dealer...

athen
09-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm a US Cellular customer in Chicago. Looking to get Samsung R610 Slider phone w B/T. BMW Customer Assistance claims no USCC B/T phones are on their B/T compatability list. B/T on USCC phones generally is not at all limited in functionality (as opposed to Verizon).

Any one have any experience with Samsung R610 or USCC B/T phones in general?

DrKajun
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
So far I have been able to get the following to work.

Phone model: LG VX970 (Dare)
Car model: 2005 525i

weezl
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Phone model: Sony Ericsson W610i
Car model: 535i (2008)
[?] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS

Did this on my ED, will get the rest of the answers in a couple of months...

kinesis
09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi guys
Anyone has any info on the LG CU 920 also called the VU?. Iam planning of getting one. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

SWFL-LTMEDIC350
09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Phone works but wont load the contacts. During conversations I'm constantly told "get a new phone", ect. I can hear them fine but the other end seems to be distorted on a regualr basis. Anyone have the same problem with a non approved phone or know what could be causing this?

NAWOW
09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Phone model: Nokia E61 Firmware 2.0618.06.05
Car model: 2007 335i BMW CD professional (no iDrive)
[ ] ability to make/receive calls

Can get the phone to handshake initially, but they don't actually seem to connect, no phonebook download, no pairing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just got an E61 from a friend. Does not work. Pairs but never seems to connect.

Treo 650 works pretty good.

NAWOW
09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
does anyone have a clue why the nokia e61 wont work on my 2006 530i. i can get it to pair, but it wont actually hook up. now the kicker is that the dealer gave me a loaner for 2 weeks, it was a 2005 530 wagon and the bluetooth worked flawlessly. now my moto razr works, but the nokia doesnt. any one have suggestions as to how to get it to work? are there idrive bluetooth updates that are available?
thanks,
todd

Just got an E61 from a friend. Does not work. Pairs but never seems to connect.

Treo 650 works pretty good.

GN2
09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
This might be a weird question but why would you want to have your iPhone connected to the car via an adaptor? It is your phone. Why not have an (inexpensive) ipod connected by adaptor to keep in your car and have your iPhone as your phone/microscomputer? I am interested in reading your reply or anyone else's reasoning for connecting an iPhone via adaptor. Thanks in advance for your reply.

BGMurphy2008
09-23-2008, 05:42 AM
This might be a weird question but why would you want to have your iPhone connected to the car via an adaptor? It is your phone. Why not have an (inexpensive) ipod connected by adaptor to keep in your car and have your iPhone as your phone/microscomputer? I am interested in reading your reply or anyone else's reasoning for connecting an iPhone via adaptor. Thanks in advance for your reply.

GN2-

Not sure who the weird one is, but I use my iphone for both a cell phone and a music player. I had hoped to plug it in to my new 5 series and be all set with music on the screen and bluetooth for the phone. My hope was not reality (yet)-now I hope for a software fix.

BGM

Fafafoooey
09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
05 545i. with all options. IPhone 3G pairs fine. Address Book does come thru. works great!

bmw25
10-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I just got a 07 CPO 530i and I bought a new Motorola W755 cell phone and it works perfect.

stjoelax07
10-07-2008, 07:33 AM
T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t will NOT work with BMW Bluetooth.

I just returned home with one of these BlackBerries, and it will pair up.... but fails to allow connection. I tried making and receiving calls, it will not work at all.

I have a Blackberry 8300 Gray from AT&T and it pairs perfectly wit my 05 545i and no problems with phone books or making or receiving calls.

cBeam
10-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I recently bought a new Nokia E51 Smart Phone marketed to the business professional. It is a frustrating experience trying to connect this phone to my car. It is a Symbian S3 phone so it looks to be a known issue with Nokias.

Phone model: Nokia E51
Car model: 2007 BMW 530i
[x ] ability to make/receive calls - CONNECTION DROPS EVERY 30 TO 60"
[no] phone book automatically synches to car
[no] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[no] calling name display (using adddress book)
[no] ability to send/receive SMS

I know it is my fault not to have consulted this thread before I purchased, however naive as I sometimes am I expected that the world's leading phone maker would work with one of the worlds leading premium car makers.

Nokia support is useless.
I tried many of the work-arounds posted on the internet to no avail.
I spent way too much time trying to get it work.

Having the choice to ditch either the car or the phone, the phone is the one to go.

BTW, my old SonyEricsson 810wi connects and synchs to my car without a problem.

Bruin10
10-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Phone model: Blackberry 8130(Pearl) Verizon
Car model: 2006 525xi
[ x] ability to make/receive calls
[ x] phone book automatically synches to car
[ x] calling name display (using adddress book)

Hello everyone,

Just purchased my first BMW yesterday. I synced up my phone with the idrive no problem, however, I can't use the voice recognition. Whenever I try to it says "no Phonebook found". I contacted the dealership and they were no help at all. It is a used car so I'm wondering if there is anything special I have to do. I can use the voice recognition to enter a phone number by saying the numbers and it dials, it just won't access my phone book. The user manual wasn't much help to me either. Is there a seperate manual on the voice recognition that I'm missing. I can't use the voice recognition for anything, including the radio. If there is any help that someone can offer I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.

BrianBSL
10-28-2008, 08:37 PM

Hello everyone,

Just purchased my first BMW yesterday. I synced up my phone with the idrive no problem, however, I can't use the voice recognition. Whenever I try to it says "no Phonebook found". I contacted the dealership and they were no help at all. It is a used car so I'm wondering if there is anything special I have to do. I can use the voice recognition to enter a phone number by saying the numbers and it dials, it just won't access my phone book. The user manual wasn't much help to me either. Is there a seperate manual on the voice recognition that I'm missing. I can't use the voice recognition for anything, including the radio. If there is any help that someone can offer I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.
If you don't have navigation, the only thing voice recognition will work for is the phone. The manual does not do a very good job in explaining this, I think because it is written for more markets than just the US and therefore the options which get you voice recognition vary.

However, I don't have an answer for your phonebook not found thing. If the phonebook shows up under communication, I think you have a valid gripe with the dealer and should insist on them fixing it. (Since its a 525xi, I assume it is an 06 or 07?)

HT417
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
BMW salesman told me today to ditch the Samsung. They don't work with Audis, Jags or BMWs. My phone works fine, but no phonebook.

I got the phonebook on mine to work by copying the contacts from the SIM to the phone.

2008 X3 - Samsung D900i

zerocooldw
11-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I recently bought a new Nokia E51 Smart Phone marketed to the business professional. It is a frustrating experience trying to connect this phone to my car. It is a Symbian S3 phone so it looks to be a known issue with Nokias.

Phone model: Nokia E51
Car model: 2007 BMW 530i
[x ] ability to make/receive calls - CONNECTION DROPS EVERY 30 TO 60"
[no] phone book automatically synches to car
[no] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[no] calling name display (using adddress book)
[no] ability to send/receive SMS

I know it is my fault not to have consulted this thread before I purchased, however naive as I sometimes am I expected that the world's leading phone maker would work with one of the worlds leading premium car makers.

Nokia support is useless.
I tried many of the work-arounds posted on the internet to no avail.
I spent way too much time trying to get it work.

Having the choice to ditch either the car or the phone, the phone is the one to go.

BTW, my old SonyEricsson 810wi connects and synchs to my car without a problem.

that is true Nokia phones are hard to synch or even connect w/ BMW BT, i had a nokia N95- it connects but doesn't link the address book then i tried the nokia 5310 links the AB but sometimes disconnects esp if its an outgoing call

Ugly Bear
11-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Philips Xenium X500 - does not work. Pairs, but never connects.

beashonda
11-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks.

BGM

I have the same issue on a 2008 528xi w/ 2.0 Iphone. Used to work perfectly with adaptor and until recently when I had left my Ipod nano in the house, did I plug the phone in to use as an IPOD. I got the same error message. I was like WTF???? I plugged, unplugged and plugged in 3 or 4 times and it finally worked as an IPOD.

That 2.0 software update for the 3G phone certainly messed up alot......:mad:

BrianBSL
11-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Phone model: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Car model: 2005 530i
[ x] dial by name (without verbal training of system)

Marina
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
In my E66 Bluetooth works partially. Nokia E90 communicator pairs fine but phone book does not transfer. For ever it says "reading SIM card" but nothing happens. On the other hand iphone pairs and phone book works too but it kind of re boots car's monitor.

I have an other thought that since Nokia 6233 works fine without any trouble, that means only bluetooth format/version of that phone is compatible with car's BTU whereas other phone's bluetooth is not able to communicate in full. Spoke with Nokia workshop and technician promissed to work on trying to re configure phone's bluetooth to match with 6233 type. I am anticipating this should work to transfer phone book. If it does, will post you all the procedure. This would also mean that any phone could be configured provided manufacturer is willing to modify bluetooth software.

Nadeem

Marina
11-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Hello Guys,
As noted in my above post, got it working with Nokia E90. Bluetooth was fixed from an other phone (from listed approved phones) and now it works great. Takes a while to load/transfer all the phone book, guess that would depend on number of contacts. SMS still remains a mystery!!!
)))nadeemw(((

cBeam
11-14-2008, 06:56 PM
As noted in my above post, got it working with Nokia E90. Bluetooth was fixed from an other phone (from listed approved phones) and now it works great.

So, you did what? Firmware update? Installed some Software? Did Nokia send a piece of SW? Is there a procedure that would work for similar phones?
It would be great if you could provide some details. I guess I am not the only frustrated Nokia user.
Many thanks!

JJ
11-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if there is a limit in the BMW to the maximum number of entries that will sync with a phone?

I can successfully pair my Blackberry Curve with my 530i, and the address book syncs too, but not the ENTIRE address book....only about half of it.

I have around 1400 contacts in my Curve, and most of them have more than one phone number per contact. The BMW picked up the multiple phone numbers for each contact, but as I said, it only sync'd with about half the contacts.

Zimmermann
11-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Hello everyone,

I found instruction for setting up phoebook somewhere...start by pressing phone button on steering wheel. 2) say SAVE NAME or SAVE NUMBER 3) say the number 4) say SAVE. DONE! you now have your first entry in the phonebook which can be dialed with voice recognition.
To use VR dialing, press phone button, say NAME, then follow after prompt with some name you have previosly entered into phonebook.
FYI...If you say "PLAY PHONEBOOK" the car will read out your phonebook IN THE ORDER YOU ENTER IT, so enter your most commom numbers first.

Here's link to user manual http://www.carnationsoftware.com/carnation/images/BMW-03_00-Voice-Control-en.pdf
Page 9 for instruction crating "phonebook" entries.

jiholl
11-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi...I have 2008 535xiT with idrive and Nav. Does anyone have any experience with these new windows mobile phone with BMW Bluetooth. I currently have Verizon LG VX8300 ... great simple phone and the bluetooth works perfectly in the car...and it have never shown as approved on either BMW or Verizon site...I notice that Samsung phones seem to never show BMW compatibility on the Verizon website...experiences??? thanks....

zharry
12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Phone model:LG 5500
Car model:528i

DallasBimmer
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Phone model: LG VU CU920
Car model: 2006 330i
ability to make/receive calls: YES
phone book automatically synches to car: NO
dial by name (without verbal training of system): NO
calling name display (using adddress book): NO
ability to send/receive SMS: NO

brotker
12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Does anyone know if there is a limit in the BMW to the maximum number of entries that will sync with a phone?

I can successfully pair my Blackberry Curve with my 530i, and the address book syncs too, but not the ENTIRE address book....only about half of it.

I have around 1400 contacts in my Curve, and most of them have more than one phone number per contact. The BMW picked up the multiple phone numbers for each contact, but as I said, it only sync'd with about half the contacts.

I just got a Blackberry Storm 9530 and ran into a similiar problem. It only synched up through "k". I have 1700+ entries, many with multiple phone numbers.

Upon searching this thread, there is a mention of a max of 1500 entries. There was also a mention of it stopping on a contact that was a distribution list. He ended up renaming it to begin with "zz" so it went to the end of his list.

Over the weekend, I will try to archive/purge some of my contacts (many are no longer valid, much too easy to be an electronic packrat) to see if that makes a difference.

reactor
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Has anyone successfully paired the Samsung Omnia i900 from Verizon Wireless to their E90 3 Series car?

SWFL-LTMEDIC350
12-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Those of you with the Blackberry Cure is it a 8330? I'm looking at getting one but want to know if it pairs first.

bz0905
12-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Phone model: HTC Touch Pro
Car model: 05 545i with navi
[ dont know] ability to send/receive SMS

I have the touch pro, it syncs with the car without any problem.

RodL
12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Phone model: Treo 755p - Alltel
Car model: 09 328 Coupe
[X ] ability to make/receive calls

sigarsteve
12-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know if the Idrive bluetooth system in a 2008 528xi pairs with verizon blackberry curve 8330?

tom @ eas
12-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know if the Idrive bluetooth system in a 2008 528xi pairs with verizon blackberry curve 8330?

Yes, fully compatible.

brotker
12-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I just got a Blackberry Storm 9530 and ran into a similiar problem. It only synched up through "k". I have 1700+ entries, many with multiple phone numbers.

Upon searching this thread, there is a mention of a max of 1500 entries. There was also a mention of it stopping on a contact that was a distribution list. He ended up renaming it to begin with "zz" so it went to the end of his list.

Over the weekend, I will try to archive/purge some of my contacts (many are no longer valid, much too easy to be an electronic packrat) to see if that makes a difference.

Archived over half my contacts, and they all sync properly now.

Phone model: Blackberry Storm 9530
Car model: 08 535xi with nav

BMR325
12-21-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a 2001 325cic metal box is located in left side of the trunk well; however, no 4 digit code, did 01 e46's have a generic code...anyone know the pairing proceedure on this model? TIA,

Steveww
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Has anyone been using the Samsung M520? How compatible is it with BMW's bluetooth?

Presley348
12-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I bought a Garmin nuvi 780, and it has blue tooth, text to speech, and the FM transmitter and three free months of MSN, at Best buy that was $599.99, and I got mine for $269.00, and it works great on all my cars, of course its not BMW's nav, (wish I had bought it now with my 530i, because it interfaces with the screen and my idrive), but this Gamin is works great and a lot cheaper than the $1800.00:thumbdwn: for the BMW option for their nav unit!!

Hope this helps you in your nav. decision!! :)

Eddie Presley

bobr2001
12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I bought a Garmin nuvi 780, and it has blue tooth, text to speech, and the FM transmitter and three free months of MSN, at Best buy that was $599.99, and I got mine for $269.00, and it works great on all my cars, of course its not BMW's nav, (wish I had bought it now with my 530i, because it interfaces with the screen and my idrive), but this Gamin is works great and a lot cheaper than the $1800.00:thumbdwn: for the BMW option for their nav unit!!

Hope this helps you in your nav. decision!! :)

Eddie Presley

so which phones pairs with your Garmin navi?

bobr2001
12-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I have a 2001 325cic metal box is located in left side of the trunk well; however, no 4 digit code, did 01 e46's have a generic code...anyone know the pairing proceedure on this model? TIA,

i don't think e46s had bluetooth at all, sorry

Presley348
12-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Most new Cell phone has no 2006 and above pairing issuse, I have a Motorola Razr V3 from 2006 that does well, and about to trade it in to AT&T for a new Razr V9 today, but the list goes on and on the Garmin nuvi on different manufact. that will work on it, i.e. Samsung, Motorola, etc, (just place the Garmin 780 in the Blue tooth search "finding" mode, and it will locate it, then does all the rest for you, and it should pair like mine did)

Eddie

SWFL-LTMEDIC350
12-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Phone model: Blackberry Curve 8330-Sprint
Car model: 07 530i No nav

jalanson
12-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Phone model: Blackberry 8703e (old phone!)
Car model: 07 525i No Nav

quattro95
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Has anyone been successful in synching their phone to bluetooth in their BMW? I have a 2006 530xi, will it work?
Thanks

Bmw oz
01-09-2009, 01:46 AM
In Australia it appears that iphones and blackberries have problems. I have a 2007 530i, is anyone in Australia using one successfully as I want to buy a new phone with email capacity, hopefully an iphone. Is there a trick to it cuase no one at BMW seems to have an answer so far.

gbartlett
01-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Absolutely no problems here with the Blackberry Storm.

Phone model: Blackberry Storm 9530
Car model: 08 535xi with nav

KevinMR
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Phone model: Blackberry Bold (AT&T)
Car model: 08 535i with nav
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS - not tested (but illegal now anyway in Calif)

okii
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Phone model: Blackberry Curve 8310-AT&T
Car model: 05 530i with Nav

md80boy
01-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Has anyone been using the Samsung M520? How compatible is it with BMW's bluetooth?

Did anyone find out if it works? I will in about 3 weeks but would like to know ahead of time.

bondodoc
01-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Phone model: Samsung Omnia
Car model: 06 530i with Nav

loubon
01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I have posted this in other parts of this forum as well but I thought it would be helpful here.

I was having problems with my setup but thanks to this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2370639&postcount=1

I can now report:

Phone model: Treo 700wx
Car model: 06 525xi with Nav
[ ] dial by name (without verbal training of system) (Not yet tested)
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS (Not sure how to test)

I do have two general questions regarding the Bluetooth functionality.

How do you enter phone numbers into the Top 8 category? Right now it seems to just add entries as you call them. Is there a way to tag specific numbers from the phone book?

EDIT: I realized that if I just start to dial a number it will tag it as a Top 8 so I just set up all 8 at once.

Some numbers do not show in the phonebook even though they are on the phone contacts. I haven't had a chance to compare but it seems pretty arbitrary. Anyone know why that might be? A few I know of that did not transfer did not have anything special about them such as special characters.

EDIT: I figured out this was due to duplicate numbers. For example, I had my home number under my wife's name as well as a Home entry. I used the group called CarKit that the software creates and just tagged the ones I wanted for the car with that category and then only imported that category. This also helped eliminate a lot of contacts that I didn't want to delete but didn't need in the car.

BDK545
01-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I use the Verizon VX6900 PDA running Windows Mobile 6, and connect to my 2004 545i. My Bimmer was manufactured with all the Bluetooth bells and whistles, so I didn't have problem after a quick software upgrade ($100 prox at dealer). My PDA has worked masterfully with the 545. My only recommendation is to turn off, or down, the fan so it doesn't blow air across the microphone. After figuring this out I have had virtually no complaints from callers about reception or clarity.

dean2c
01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Phone model: LG VX10000 (Voyager)
Car model: '08 335i with navi

NeoE60
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Phone model: Sprint HTC Touch with WM6 Pro merged with HTC Touch Diamond homebrew custom ROM
Car model: 2006 530xi

Wish it worked with SMS but I highly doubt it's possible.

jiholl
01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Has anyone had luck with this with the newer 4.5? Thanks

jhbuining
01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Phone model: Sony Ericsson W595
Car model: 07/01 E86 Z4 3.0si Coupé with nav pro
[x] ability to send/receive SMS

jhk_jd
01-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Phone model: LG Dare VX9700 (Verizon)
Car model: see my signature

I have not yet tried to dial by name or send/receive SMS.

go2ucla
01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Nokia E71 can make and receive calls on my 2008 528I.

md80boy
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Phone model: Sprint LG Rumor
Car model: 2004 X3
[NO] phone book automatically synches to car
[y] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[NO] calling name display (using adddress book)
[ NO] ability to send/receive SMS

Note: the unit is an ULF and it is a second or third Gen unit made in '04. A little scratchy but still pretty darn good.
Displays the caller ID of the incoming call.
Dont have the instructions so I dont know how to train to do voice calls or check if the phonebook synchs.

I think that the newer 3G phones might work with older ULFs and TCUs.

khaled_tabaa
02-05-2009, 04:42 AM
hi.....
i also have this problem i'm using the nokia E71 it connect but it does not sync the address book i tried other nokia phones and i discoverd that only JAVA phones can sync the address book .... the symbian operating system does not sync the address book with the BMW BT...... hope they will find a solution quickly cause all the new phones from nokia are becoming symbian ...... if anyone have a solution pls tell me ....
thanks .

khaled_tabaa
02-05-2009, 04:45 AM
In my E66 Bluetooth works partially. Nokia E90 communicator pairs fine but phone book does not transfer. For ever it says "reading SIM card" but nothing happens. On the other hand iphone pairs and phone book works too but it kind of re boots car's monitor.

I have an other thought that since Nokia 6233 works fine without any trouble, that means only bluetooth format/version of that phone is compatible with car's BTU whereas other phone's bluetooth is not able to communicate in full. Spoke with Nokia workshop and technician promissed to work on trying to re configure phone's bluetooth to match with 6233 type. I am anticipating this should work to transfer phone book. If it does, will post you all the procedure. This would also mean that any phone could be configured provided manufacturer is willing to modify bluetooth software.

Nadeem

hi.....
i also have this problem i'm using the nokia E71 it connect but it does not sync the address book i tried other nokia phones and i discoverd that only JAVA phones can sync the address book .... the symbian operating system does not sync the address book with the BMW BT...... hope they will find a solution quickly cause all the new phones from nokia are becoming symbian ...... if anyone have a solution pls tell me ....
thanks .

sksavell
02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
I've had my '05 X5 into the dealership twice now trying to address a problem with the BT. In the last 8 months, the phone module on the car has stopped working twice. I've had my Blackberry 8703e synched with the car and everything works great, including the phonebook download. Then all of a sudden the phone module in the car quits responding and I can no longer use the BT.

The dealership says I have an incompatible phone. The thing is I've had the phone synched with the car for fairly long periods of time. I mention to the dealership that when the Blackberry stops working, the phone module stops working all together. You can verify this by pressing the SOS button for Roadside Assist - nothing happens.

The dealership says that yes you can "temporarily" connect the phone, but that it will eventually stop working AND will disable the car's phone module system.

This seems unlikely to me. Either it doesn't work or it does. I don't believe it will start, then stop and disable another piece of the car. Any thoughts?

md80boy
02-07-2009, 01:25 AM

Phone model: Samsung M520
Car model: 04 X3 with ULF
[NO] ability to send/receive SMS

cBeam
02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
hi.....
thanks .

I had the same problem with a Nokia E51 (Symbian). I did a firmware update the other day and now it works like a charm. Pairs, calls are fine, and address book syncs without problem.
So, try out the latest firmware for your respective Symbian phone and you might luck out!

Vinny545i
02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
My Blackberry Curve works just fine with my 05 545i !!!! Damn, was hoping i had a excuse...oh well.....

z06bigbird
02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
BMW has had a history of crappy and non-working phone technology. A salesman from a great dealership (Sunbelt in Meridian, Ms) specifically told me then to save the $2,000 that BMW charged for an in-car phone. It absolutely did not work in the US of A.

Just last week, another salesman in Texas told me that the BMW is most compatible with Motorola phones. He did, however, demonstrate how his Iphone connected.

That is all I know.

DavidJC
02-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Apple iphone works great. Had a problem initialy when i tried to sync it with the BMW bluetooth. The i phone was requesting a "pin number". After resetting the "ID" number on the BMW, I entered this as the pin that the i phone was requesting and everything worked fine.

bakerpugh
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
When I picked up my CPO '06 530xiT from the dealer yesterday, I asked them to show me that my Blackberry 8830 World Phone (Verizon) would work. The dealer rep said "have Carlos over there do it for you". This twenty something kid with a hole in his earlobe where the ear ring goes (maybe when he's not at the dealership?) took the phone and the car and in 5 minutes had me synched up. As long as I'm in the car, I make and receive calls seamlessly, and down load my entire phone list (extensive), including local and overseas numbers. Pretty cool.

mochocub07
02-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Will a Nokia N95 be compatible with a BMW 330i Sedan? If so what features does it support? Does it have full bluetooth address book display?

bobr2001
02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
the N95/96 don't work on my 2006 530i. The Nokia 6300 works great!

03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Find a Compatible Handset - Not all Bluetooth phones will work!
Unfortunately, not all Bluetooth compatible phones will work (partially or fully) with BMW's Bluetooth systems. As such, “Bluetooth” is an ambiguous term and insufficient to ensure compatibility. That is unfortunate, since "Bluetooth" is all that is typically included in the phone's description.

My experience is a good example: my do-everything SonyEricsson P900 does not work with my Bluetooth-capable car (the SonyEricsson P900 lacks a "handsfree profile" required to work with the BMW implementation of integration of cell phone and car). Successful 6 Series Bluetoth retrofit, but phone incompatible (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e63/5905660-1.html)

Even if you have a "BT-compatible" phone with the BT "handsfree profile," there are other features that may or may not work properly. For example, the phone should automatically share its phone book with the car to enable a set of nice features: based on your phone's address book: Calling Name display and

BMW Customer Assistance has a short list of compatible phones (SE T68i, SE T610, SE T630, Motorola V600). A more extensive compatibility list is here:
More extensive list of BMW-compatible phones (http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm )

What phones work for you?
Please share what works for you so that we can all share in your experience and knowledge.

Please post your experience:
Phone model: Motorola Razr
Car model: 2008 535 xi
----------------------------------------------Razr phone works fine, but when a call comes in while currently talking to someone, the bluetooth will hang up on the current call, but not til after the call coming in goes into voicemail. So, I lose both calls.

michaeljr6
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Hello ladies and gents I just ubgrade from the motorola razor to the Wing! its fully functional with my 2005 530i!

awesome!

Hogie
03-08-2009, 07:24 AM
I've had my '05 X5 into the dealership twice now trying to address a problem with the BT. In the last 8 months, the phone module on the car has stopped working twice. I've had my Blackberry 8703e synched with the car and everything works great, including the phonebook download. Then all of a sudden the phone module in the car quits responding and I can no longer use the BT.

The dealership says I have an incompatible phone. The thing is I've had the phone synched with the car for fairly long periods of time. I mention to the dealership that when the Blackberry stops working, the phone module stops working all together. You can verify this by pressing the SOS button for Roadside Assist - nothing happens.

The dealership says that yes you can "temporarily" connect the phone, but that it will eventually stop working AND will disable the car's phone module system.

This seems unlikely to me. Either it doesn't work or it does. I don't believe it will start, then stop and disable another piece of the car. Any thoughts?

No, this is true. your phone is not 100% compatible. I no longer own my 05 X5 however the X5 went through 3 TCUs mainly for my "Red" light staying on indicating it was transmitting. I never used BT that much but I never corresponded the TCU failure with my Samsung cell until the 3rd failure. It truly was the phone causing the failure and I can not explained why, but it was.

Delta-V
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Phone model: Motorola V950 (Sprint)
Car model: see my signature

Calliope
03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I didn't see anything here about any of the following phones. Does anyone have experience with these syncing with the 2006 3er, I didn't see a dedicated thread to the 3 series?

Samsung T339
Samsung Blast
Sony Ericsson TM506
Motorola W490

Mhawryluk
03-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Phone model: Apple iPhone 3G 8GB
[X] ability to make/receive calls - never had a problem
[no way] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS - never tried

BPO22
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Phone model: HTC Touch Pro
Car model: 2006 530i
[X] ability to make/receive calls - never had a problem
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS - Thru Phone YES, thru car? not that I know of.

Works great.

edogg1
03-25-2009, 08:14 AM
I have a Nokia E71, and it does work fine and copy the address book over, with the following catch: It only copies the contacts that you have copied on the phone to your sim card. You can have endless contacts on your phone, but only a couple of hundred on your sim card. I have tested this on my 2008 528 and it works fine.

DaveyW
03-31-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a Blackberry Bold (9000 series) in my 5 series.
Connectivity to the 5 series is perfect it seems.

Rock solid BT connection- I sometimes had disconnects in my previous BMW E90 3 series with the same phone...not in my 09 5 series. Perfect!:thumbup:

doctj
04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Phone model: Palm Treo Pro unlocked GSM model
Car model: 2009 535ixdrive
[X] ability to make/receive calls -yes with some limitations
[X] phone book automatically syncs to car (all 800+ contacts)
[no way] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[X] calling name display (only if in adddress book, will not display numbers not in address book, have to pick up the handset to identify number)
[?] ability to send/receive SMS - never tried
According to BMW my phone is compatible but the bluetooth capability is very limited as follows:
1. Cannot transfer ongoing call from phone to car's audio system after bluetooth connection is established. Flawless with 2006 audi
2.If call is initiated from phone handset-details are not displayed on idrive display. In my audi this was possible. The reason this is convenient is that if the details were displayed the numbers could be added to the redial list, top 8 etc.
3.No call waiting- Very inconvenient, I can't switch over even if I atttempt to do so with the handset. Some of these calls are international, I just can't call them back after I hang up the ongoing call. Call waiting was flawlessly implemented in my previous 2006 audi a4
4.Cannot transfer call from car's audio to phone after key pulled from ignition. You either hang up or fiddle with switching the bluetooth off. Again this is possible in both my previous audi and Wife's Nissan Quest minivan.
5. Can't set up the voice phonebook. Idrive obeys my other commands but just won't respond to "save name" as instructed in the manual

Funnily enough my phone was not officially supported by Audi, it could not transfer the phonebook but the other bluetooth capabilities outweighed this. Given that the BMW costs nearly $ 20k more, it's disappointing that BMW's bluetooth is so limited. On their site most of the limitations I've listed also apply to the other compatible phones.

juncman
04-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I have an iPhone and it works fine, I can get the phone book on the screen and work from there.

[No] dial by name (without verbal training of system)
[No] ability to send/receive SMS

Have tried to send/receive SMS but no function that I can find on the iDrive to so this.

Fighterpilot
05-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Phone model: Motorola Q9C
Car model: 2009 535i
[x] phone book automatically synches to car (See note)

Syncing this phone to the car is not w/o it's problems. I've tried numerous times and finally had success. I think it has a lot to do w/ the information I have in my Contacts. The phone will connect quickly but when it comes to downloading the phone book it seems to disconnect a lot of the time. Now that I have the phone book downloaded, I think it will be more reliable.

JIMMER 530
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Has anyone used the Samsung Renown with an 09 535 equiped with nav system.

jiholl
05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Has anyone gotten the Verizon Boulder to work? Thanks

sylhety
05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
iPhone works great

nikamir
05-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Find a Compatible Handset - Not all Bluetooth phones will work!
Unfortunately, not all Bluetooth compatible phones will work (partially or fully) with BMW's Bluetooth systems. As such, “Bluetooth” is an ambiguous term and insufficient to ensure compatibility. That is unfortunate, since "Bluetooth" is all that is typically included in the phone's description.

My experience is a good example: my do-everything SonyEricsson P900 does not work with my Bluetooth-capable car (the SonyEricsson P900 lacks a "handsfree profile" required to work with the BMW implementation of integration of cell phone and car). Successful 6 Series Bluetoth retrofit, but phone incompatible (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e63/5905660-1.html)

Even if you have a "BT-compatible" phone with the BT "handsfree profile," there are other features that may or may not work properly. For example, the phone should automatically share its phone book with the car to enable a set of nice features: based on your phone's address book: Calling Name display and

BMW Customer Assistance has a short list of compatible phones (SE T68i, SE T610, SE T630, Motorola V600). A more extensive compatibility list is here:
More extensive list of BMW-compatible phones (http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm )

What phones work for you?
Please share what works for you so that we can all share in your experience and knowledge.

Please post your experience: :thumbup:
Phone model:
Car model:
[ ] ability to make/receive calls
I have a 2005 530i.My new HTC Diamond works well so as for Nokia E73. My Sony P990i unable to synch but my friend's(BMW Mechanic) P990i works fine.So PDA works with the car. The BMW bluetooth is pretty unstable especially with a heavily loaded big memory PDAs. The car processor is slow and memory is VERY,VERY limited. My P990i memory is almost to the brim but not my friends. The car also cannot handle the synching of more than one phone unless it is an absolute basic phones with little utilisation of its internal memory, ie, just a few contacts. To use different phone, you need to first of all REMOVE other existing phones in its system otherwise the car bluetooth system HANGS and you may need to reprogram the system. It is all trial and error guys.Even BMW senior mechanics are still learning and discovering about the bluetooth. Haven't tried SMS though. Hope this info put some light about the system. It's a waste if the benefit of the sytem cannot be use as the clarity is astounding. I was not able to benefit from it untill just about 4 months ago as my PDA was heavily "MEMORISED".
SAFE DRIVING GUYS and live to enjoy the car.

teddybear2
05-15-2009, 11:21 PM
I have the sprint Instinct phone and it works perfectly. :)

pvilar
05-17-2009, 04:38 AM
I have a Nokia E-71. It pairs but only some of the contacts are available...and my phonebook is not that big.
I also have problems when pairing my wifes N80...it pairs but doesn't connects...
I have a 05 320D with iDrive.
Can anyone helps?

Thanks,
Paulo

investor27
05-18-2009, 08:49 AM
I just purchased the 535xi (i Xdrive), and I'm trying to turn up the mic's sensitivity. People on the other end can barely hear me, and I'm talking very loudly my wife says. Is there a way to turn up the interior mic's sensitivity? I can hear the caller just fine inside the cabin. Thanks.

benchorizo
05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I use the Blackberry 8900 and never had a problem pairing it with the car's bluetooth until 2 days ago. It used to be that everytime I turn the ignition on, the phone senses the 530i's bluetooth right away and prompts me if i wanted to connect. You click yes and that was it. It worked flawlessly. The past couple of days, it stopped doing that. I can manually search from the phone and connect manually but it says "connection failed." The only way to do it is to delete the phone from the car's bluetooth setting, and then try to search/connect from the phone until i'm prompted to provide passkey then the car prompts me to put in the passkey to be able to pair them. Then I know it's paired because of the blinking blue light on the phone. But it seems that everytime you get in the car again (after turning the engine off), it doesn't pair automatically. It's annoying to have to pair it everytime I get in the car. I dont' know if it's even related but about the same time this happened, the airbag indicator stays lit in the dash which indicates airbag malfunction. Took the car in for service (for the airbag) and was told that a computer glitch sometimes does that (bluetooth problem) and that my phone could have been one of those that are not "compatible" with BMW. Then why did it work before? By the way they told me that they will have to replace the driver's airbag and would have to reprogram the computer after that. I hope it fixes the bluetooth problem too.

jwendt
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Phone model: Blackberry 8100 Pearl
Car model: 2009 528xi

I just my latest BMW, a 2009 528xi. My first comment is the GREAT thanks to all who have contributed to this particular thread. Is was of great use to me in getting my BB Pearl to sync with the car. But at this point, i have full use of my BB including 1,300 contacts with several phone numbers for each one (estimate ~4,000 phone numbers). Here are some of the steps that i went through to get this to work. Not sure which one(s) got it all to work, but it really does work well. I am linked to Outlook at the office via Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES).

1. I updated the BB software to version 4.5.x. To determine where problems were, i added a new phone book to Outlook and put a few numbers in at a time until i was able to confirm the sync was working. In the BB desktop software, you can select which phone book(s) to sync with the BB. During this testing phase, i might only have 10 contacts in BB, but if they transferred to the BMW, then i knew i had cleanen them up. Once i understood the patern (see below), i was able to sync all numbers very quicky and go back to just one contact list with all of my contacts. This update from RIM also included some new things, so it was worth it. You could also use the BB based feature to only transfer numbers from people within a certain category. Although this works, to put 1,300 contacts into a category would take editing all the contacts. Not a great process when you have 1,300+.
2. I edited all phone numbers to remove extensions from the phone numbers setup. For example, i had several that had a number of 513-xxx-xxxx x 123 and the x 123 was a problem. To make this simple to track down, i sorted the phone list by phone number and then scanned up and down through the phone lists to find any exceptions (use the view by phone list).
3. I cleaned up phone numbers that had format problems from where they were entered directly into the blackberry. If (in the BB) i entered someone's phone number as 5135551212, then it would stay like this in Outlook and i think this was a problem. I went to outlook, corrected all of them to the outlook standard format (513) xxx-xxxx. Most of the time this was as easy as putting the cursor on the number, making one change and then hitting tab. Outlook would then reformat the number to its standard format. I have seen this problem documented else where to make sure that the format and special characters are correct (ie NO special characters). Between item 2 and 3, this was the biggest thing for me. Not sure if there were other combinations that would have worked, but doing both was the fix i needed.
4. This probably was nothing, but i also turned off all journaling for contacts (speeds up outlook anyway) since i don't want to think that recording contact with a contact was casuing an issue and i did not use the feature anyway.
5. Don't use the BB feature to send the address book to the BMW. It will error out everytime. When you connect to the bluetooth, BMW and BB will automatically sync the address book.
6. I found that if it did error out, that you should delete the BB phone from the BMW bluetooth list and delete the BMW listing from the BB bluetooth list as well. If i did not delete it every time, then when i fixed the errors, it never seemed to sync right the next time. Once fixed and the entire phone list sync's, then you don't have to do this over and over (the BB and BMW will sync and update BMW each time).
7. Device properties should be set as: Trusted - yes; encryption - enabled; echo control - auto.
8. Device options should be set as: discoverable - yes, allow outgoing always - yes; transfer phone book - all (see above during testing to use a category if you want to use this option); security level - high (not even sure what this is); connection on power up - yes
9. If you have problems with your BT dropping and reconnecting, it was the phone book that was causing the issue for me. If you turn step 8 - transfer phone book to off, this problem should stop until you get your phone book fixed. A quick fix if you run into a bind and need to use the BT phone without it dropping calls.
10. I was told as well that email addresses create problems and i have email addresses for almost all contacts and it is NOT a problem. It was always the phone numbers for me.
11. I never had the problem that others mentioned that part would transfer and part would not. If it did not work, then none were available to me to use and the bluetooth connection was very unstable.
12. For 1,300+ contacts, it took 2-3 minutes to transfer. While it was transfering, the BMW display would indicate a phone book was transfering. The BB showed nothing and appeared to be working as normal. If you see nothing on the BMW screen after a minute, then it is not transferring the phone book or it is done already. It does not transfer instantly, and when it is done, the A-Z menu selection become active so you know there are names in your phone book.
13. The dial by name without training is not something i can do at this point. I can program names in the system (with training), but this would be in addition to my BB phone book. Work great, but i cannot call someone from my BB phone book by just saying their name. I don't have navigation, so maybe this is something on that system.
14. The SMS that is on the standard checklist above is not anything i have even heard of being offered so i don't know how someone can do this. Could be a NAV piece or could be just folk lore. I would think that getting text messages while driving (and BMW being part of displaying it for you) would be a very bad thing for all parties.

I hope this helps at least one person with their BB setup. If someone does not understand the above, please feel free to contact me and i can send a couple of screen shots via private email.

John.

PS - New 528xi and i love it!!

md80boy
05-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Phone model: Sprint LG Rumor
[NO] phone book automatically synches to car
[NO] calling name display (using adddress book)

Note: the unit is an ULF and it is a second or third Gen unit made in '04. A little scratchy but still pretty darn good.
Displays the caller ID of the incoming call.
Dont have the instructions so I dont know how to train to do voice calls or check if the phonebook synchs.

I think that the newer 3G phones might work with older ULFs and TCUs.

So, with the LG Rumor the above applied using the -552 first Gen ULF. Sound quality was really poor.
I changed to a first Gen TCU and the sound was good, but it would not function normally. The phone would lock up, the radio would lock up, the radio would mute when a call was placed or received but would not turn back on when finished. It also would only place or receive one call per driving cycle, then the phone and radio would freeze. You had to turn off the phone to get the radio back. The steering wheel controls would never work under any circumstances. But this only happened with that brand, we tested both the ULF and TCU with Samsung and it was fine, including phone quality. So we were able to swap from LG Rumor to Samsung RANT.
Now:
[Y] phone book automatically synches to car
[Y] calling name display (using adddress book)

jiholl
05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi..has anyone gotten the Alias 2 from Verizon to work?...thanks

XJSChris
05-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Sorry for the late response on this...

2007 X3

Phone model: Motorola L6

Phone model: Blackberry 8820

2009 528i

I have the Premium and Navigation packages and both phones work. The Mrs. and I are each able to scroll through our respective phones' phone books using the iDrive.

Phone model: Motorola L6

Phone model: Blackberry 8820 (SW version 4.5.0.139).

ccap
06-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Anyone try the new Palm Pre to see if it works with the car???

gloraya78
06-08-2009, 01:27 AM
For iPod users, sometimes they want to backup the music, video or pictures on iPod to computer and to another iPod. This makes iPod users headache for iTunes doesn't providing this feature at all. Tipard Studio releases a program that can backup their files on iPod to PC or transfer files to another iPod. Using Tipard iPod Transfer Pro (http://tipard.com/ipod-transfer-pro.html) you would never worry about losing problem of the files. This iPod Transfer Pro help you copy songs and video from iPod to PC without losing anything. Tipard iPod Transfer pro supports all the versions of iPod devices. So you can easily transfer music and video from iPod, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod shuffle, iPod Touch, iPhone to PC. You could easily share your iPod music with your friends.

http://www.tipard.com/guide/follow/ipod-transfer-pro.jpg

Key Features:

***65121;Backup files from iPod to computer
***65121;Import files from computer to iPod
***65121;Transfer files from iPod to iPod/iPhone

ChrisTO
06-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Car model: 2007 525i with navi
Phone model: BlackBerry Curve 8330 - firmware version 4.3

My adressbook has over 1400 entries. It took them all in after a few minutes. So that should clear up the question on size of address book supported. I did select transfer addressbook on the BB. I'm not sure if it would have transferred if I didn't push it out. I'm not about to mess with it now that it is working. :)

rambler405
06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Just picked up a new 09 x5 (performance delivery, which I highly reccomend) and was disappointed that my LG8700 from Verizon would not function with the blue tooth. I took the phone to Verizon and they undated my software (free) from version 1 to version 3, and the phone is now full compatible with the car. Before buying a new phone, see if a simple software update to the phone fixes the problem. It's fee, so nothing to lose.

jamesd553
06-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I use the Blackberry 8900 and never had a problem pairing it with the car's bluetooth until 2 days ago. It used to be that everytime I turn the ignition on, the phone senses the 530i's bluetooth right away and prompts me if i wanted to connect. You click yes and that was it. It worked flawlessly. The past couple of days, it stopped doing that. I can manually search from the phone and connect manually but it says "connection failed." The only way to do it is to delete the phone from the car's bluetooth setting, and then try to search/connect from the phone until i'm prompted to provide passkey then the car prompts me to put in the passkey to be able to pair them. Then I know it's paired because of the blinking blue light on the phone. But it seems that everytime you get in the car again (after turning the engine off), it doesn't pair automatically. It's annoying to have to pair it everytime I get in the car. I dont' know if it's even related but about the same time this happened, the airbag indicator stays lit in the dash which indicates airbag malfunction. Took the car in for service (for the airbag) and was told that a computer glitch sometimes does that (bluetooth problem) and that my phone could have been one of those that are not "compatible" with BMW. Then why did it work before? By the way they told me that they will have to replace the driver's airbag and would have to reprogram the computer after that. I hope it fixes the bluetooth problem too.

I have the exact same issue start at about the same time as you. A couple weeks ago my phone which I've had 2 years now always paired perfectly with my 535i. Then all of a sudden it would not pair in the afternoons. It would always pair in the morning but later in the day it would not complete the pairing process. When I go to the BlueTooth menu on the car the phone is listed but when I click on "move up/delete" neither of them is highlighted. On my phone sometimes it would say I am connected and sometimes not but the car just shows the T1 and then a blank area. If I try to connect from the phone manually it would say "connection to BMW 78... failed." Its annoying because all the bmw dealers would say that its because my phone is not on the approved list. But it worked perfectly for a year and a half. I think its my car is not fully diconnecting with the phone when I leave it and then tries to re-connect and gets frozen or something. I had my car completly re-programmed last week and the problem is exactly the same. I replaced my phone with verizon got a new 8830 and it paired up perfectly then it started doing the same thing again.
I think that the BlueTooth module is bad or something. I am at my wits end.

carnuts3
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Had similar problems getting a phone to work with my Bluetooth. Problem solved when I focused on getting a phone with the correct software pre-installed vs just focusing on the make/model of phone. If you just purchase the BMW recommended make and model phone, it could have updated software in it that could cause a problem. When I specified the make and model of phone and the BMW recommended software for that phone I had no problems. Again, from my experience, you need to specifiy both the make/model of phone and the pre-installed software for that phone. BMW website shows the software number along with each phone that they recommend. Hope this helps.

beashonda
06-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I have the exact same issue start at about the same time as you. A couple weeks ago my phone which I've had 2 years now always paired perfectly with my 535i. Then all of a sudden it would not pair in the afternoons. It would always pair in the morning but later in the day it would not complete the pairing process. When I go to the BlueTooth menu on the car the phone is listed but when I click on "move up/delete" neither of them is highlighted. On my phone sometimes it would say I am connected and sometimes not but the car just shows the T1 and then a blank area. If I try to connect from the phone manually it would say "connection to BMW 78... failed." Its annoying because all the bmw dealers would say that its because my phone is not on the approved list. But it worked perfectly for a year and a half. I think its my car is not fully diconnecting with the phone when I leave it and then tries to re-connect and gets frozen or something. I had my car completly re-programmed last week and the problem is exactly the same. I replaced my phone with verizon got a new 8830 and it paired up perfectly then it started doing the same thing again.
I think that the BlueTooth module is bad or something. I am at my wits end.

I've had this problem on and off with my 1st gen iphone. About 1 year ago had the car in 3 times to the dealer. They admitted there was a problem, but said they replaced TCU. Issue continued and then just stopped as mysteriously as it started. Nearly one year later, it started again. BT kept dropping and sometimes restarting. Well, my original iphone was dropped and is now dead. Got new 3Gs iphone and it sync'd beautifully at first, allowed me to make one call and now either connects and drops or refuses t connect. Same issue as you. Will take it to another dealer to see what they think. let me know if you find something out. I have a 2008 528xi.
:cry:

nljong17
06-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Hello all,
I bought a second hand sony ericsson K850i just to be able to use the bluetooth feature in my 2005 530iA. It works perfectly regarding the things I need.

[x]make/recieve calls
[x]automatic sync of phonebook

The rest I still did not test but I am not that interested (except maybe the SMS capability). I am quite happy with the phone especially because the conversations via the bluetooth carkit are very clear. Clearer then I have ever experienced in any of my former cars.
My wife however does not like the phone because she is used to the Samsung SGH-E760. This is an old clamshell type phone which does pair with the car but no phonebook and no make/recieve calls so virtually not compatible.
So now i am looking for an alternative clamshell type phone which is compatible with BMW bluetooth with updated software (V31). Anybody tried one of the following phones?

SE T707
SE W508
SE W980
Nokia 6600

Thank you for your reply

TimBass1314
06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi,
When I picked up my 520D I found the same problem most people were having with a Nokia N95 and the car kit. I swapped the phone for a C905 and all problems disappeared. I think the only way to get Nokia's to work is to dump them so Nokia finally acknowledges that it's not the car kit at fault rather their implementation of Bluetooth.

Phone model: Sony Ericsson C905
Car model: 2009 520D (Pro iDrive)

regards,

Tim

terickson
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I have a BlackBerry Storm which worked well before with the blue tooth in my 525. Just got a new Storm and now I can't remember how I connected to the blue tooth....it's asking for the passkey....and the dealer originally told me what it was but now wants me to bring it in so they can "find" the passkey...and I'm sure that will cost me plenty....

Anyone have any ideas on the passkey? I've tried 1111, 1234, 0000....but with no luck.

Thanks...

Tim

nightdevil
07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Anyone try the new Palm Pre to see if it works with the car???

Just got my car last week and it works with the bluetooth... and it also allows you to dial by name... although it took like 3 days for it to load or start working and displaying the names in the phone. But the system hears me and pulls up the correct name but cannot say them correctly.

beashonda
07-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I've had this problem on and off with my 1st gen iphone. About 1 year ago had the car in 3 times to the dealer. They admitted there was a problem, but said they replaced TCU. Issue continued and then just stopped as mysteriously as it started. Nearly one year later, it started again. BT kept dropping and sometimes restarting. Well, my original iphone was dropped and is now dead. Got new 3Gs iphone and it sync'd beautifully at first, allowed me to make one call and now either connects and drops or refuses t connect. Same issue as you. Will take it to another dealer to see what they think. let me know if you find something out. I have a 2008 528xi.
:cry:

Issue was bad TCU which was replaced and I hav ehad no issues since then. iphone 3gs with 3.0 works perfectly. I was told by BMW SA that a non approved phone can really mess up your cars TCU since even if you delete if from the idrive screen, it's not delted from the TCU. the ECIN number for the phone is still in there.

madurodave
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Phone model: Nokia E71
Car model: 2005 530xi, 2007 X3
[X] ability to make/receive calls - no issues
[X] phone book automatically synches to car - Yes!
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS - Not sure

The phone works like a charm!

madurodave
07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Phone model: iphone 3GS
Car model: 2005 530xi, 2007 X3
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS - Not sure

The phone is a dream come true!

AMM
07-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Phone model: iphone 3G
Car model: 2007 530i,

nightdevil
07-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Just got my car last week and it works with the bluetooth... and it also allows you to dial by name... although it took like 3 days for it to load or start working and displaying the names in the phone. But the system hears me and pulls up the correct name but cannot say them correctly.

Okay plam pre not working... i think because of the software update... anyluck with anyone on the PALM pre?

vannipule
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I've had the Nokia N95 for a couple of years. At first it did not match my BMW525d bluetooth at all. Recently I had the most recent auto software update download and still it did not work. I updated my phone and it worked but it is intermittent and it keeps disconnecting at the most awkward moment. Since I have given up and I want a mobile phone with a good camera, I am considering getting the Sony Ericcson C905. Does anyone have any information about its compatibility or the compatibility of other previous SE models?

nightdevil
07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I got a loaner today and synced my phone and it works... maybe a auto software update... im going to ask when I get my car back.

rhans405
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Got a Blackberry tour. It sync'd fine, had an error downloading my address book, probably because I have email addresses attached but I can scroll through the address display and all of my address book appears to be there.

Just one problem as I posted in the Tour thread. Once the Tour sync's my Nav displays shows a continuous active call to a point where it dims the radio volume like I'm speaking on the phone. I can't dial through the car but can through my phone. Thought it my be the continuous 3G connection for the internet but the problem persists when I turn this off. Still trying to figure it out. Unfortunately, this will limit the bluetooth connections usefullness.

ahijjawi
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
E90 is working with my bluetooth in 530i 2006.

TexDSS
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Phone model: Both Blackberry world(8830) and Tour (9960)
Car model: 2007 525XI

I love the clarity and convenience of hands free and address book on my i drive console.

AMM
08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I have an 07 530i with Nav. My Phone screen on the the Idrive says localhost?? How do I change the phone screen name? I have an Iphone 3G.

Cheers

nljong17
08-04-2009, 01:38 AM
I tried to use this thread to choose a new phone from but unfortunately only a very few phones are discussed. So I pulled the plug and just got me a new Sony Ericsson W995.

2005 530iA (software updated to CIP31)
[x] make/receive calls
[x] download adressbook
[-] SMS functionality

The other functions I do not know how to check so I can not comment on, but for me the most important are the first two features.
In fact it behaves exactly like the SE k850i which is on BMW's compatibility list.

I hope more people will add their experiences with phones which are not yet covered in this thread (I have read enough about iPhones and blackberry's)

jasonrhcastle
08-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Anybody with the tour noticing muffled or decreased clarity with bluetooth conversations? I can use my tour, sounds more muffled, then use my bold and it is clear as day. Tried repairing and everything, but no difference.

obi.wan
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
exchange the tour, I am on my third one and works great now

bluemoon32402
08-19-2009, 06:25 AM
nope. i got that phone hoping it would work. it did for about a month. then it stopped. im extremely disappointed in the selection of phones from bmw. you would think that with the high price of their cars, they would get all phones to work.

2007 335i
premium & cold weather packages

dentity
08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Phone model:nokia 6301
Car model:550i 07
[x ] calling name display (using adddress book)

JBates
08-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Got a Blackberry tour. It sync'd fine, had an error downloading my address book, probably because I have email addresses attached but I can scroll through the address display and all of my address book appears to be there.

Just one problem as I posted in the Tour thread. Once the Tour sync's my Nav displays shows a continuous active call to a point where it dims the radio volume like I'm speaking on the phone. I can't dial through the car but can through my phone. Thought it my be the continuous 3G connection for the internet but the problem persists when I turn this off. Still trying to figure it out. Unfortunately, this will limit the bluetooth connections usefullness.

Did you get it figured it? I have the same problem. 2007 750Li with BB Tour on Verizon. It worked great for the first month, then all of a sudden when I turn Bluetooth on for my cell, the car radio shuts off, and the phone dialer in the car doesn't work. However, when I shut down Bluetooth on my Tour, the radio turns on.

Any ideas?

AKSC
08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Motorola Tundra works!
Except does anyone know the password for the bluetooth... The pairing code or what ever you call it?

Phil75070
08-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Phone model: iPhone 3G
Car model: '05 545i - Progman 30.02
[ ] ability to send/receive SMS - not tested

WillInDenver
09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Has anyone had luck with this with the newer 4.5? ThanksYes, mine has worked fine. I just took my car in today for an unrelated problem with the Bluetooth system, and found out that no Curve model with Verizon service is authorized for pairing with the BMW system, though. The Pearl is, and I understand the Bluetooth hardware to be equivalent for both. So I was really surprised. But I just checked the BMWUSA site, and it's true.

NguyenAzn
09-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey guys im a newbie here. My dad just bought me the 08 525i since i sold my TL due to the tranni issue.
So here is the problem im having
Phone model: Vertu Ferrari Nero
Car model:525i
I cant connect through my vertu somehow, it says that connection failed but i did follow instructions on the manual. Any suggestion ?

jiholl
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi..has anyone had any luck with HTC Ozone on Verizon...??

Stargate
09-18-2009, 04:09 AM
My Samsung Omnia HD works great

Spydeputy
09-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Has anyone gotten the Verizon Boulder to work? Thanks

did you ever find out if boulder has any issues w/ your BMW ?