PDA

View Full Version : Can the X3 Accomodate a Rear Facing Infant Seat?

jabud3@aol.com
11-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Help! I love the X3, but am concerned that it won't fit a rear-facing baby seat correctly.
Does anyone have a rear facing infant seat that fits correctly in the X3? We don't want to have to move the driver or passenger seat too far close to the dashboard!

Jane in Pittsburgh

·clyde·
11-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Take the car seat to the dealer and see if it fits.

jabud3@aol.com
11-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Take the car seat to the dealer and see if it fits.

That would be the obvious test. But It's certainly easier to ask first! We don't have the car or the baby yet. Also, don't know any who have infant seats we could borrow at the moment. But if no one else responds, we will have to try something.

·clyde·
11-13-2004, 07:42 AM
No one is going to be able to tell you for certain if a seat will fit in back without making adjustments up front since seats come in different sizes and different people sit closer or further from the dash than others. It's also not just the initial infant seat/carrier that you'll start with, but the convertible that you'll probably be using in the rear facing configuration later.

jabud3@aol.com
11-13-2004, 07:52 AM
No one is going to be able to tell you for certain if a seat will fit in back without making adjustments up front since seats come in different sizes and different people sit closer or further from the dash than others. It's also not just the initial infant seat/carrier that you'll start with, but the convertible that you'll probably be using in the rear facing configuration later.

Yeah, there certainly quite a few child safety seats that parents have to deal with in a child's lifetime! I am not worried about the upright front facing seats, since I know that there will be ample room. It's the infant seat I'm wondering about, since they have to be pretty flat.

As for how far back from the dashboard the front seats are, I like to sit as far back as possible, with the seat upright, (which might be a plus when fitting the infant seat). So maybe it will work. I have tried to check for infant seats in the many 330's and 325's out there, in my neighborhood, but have not seen any. Maybe it's because typically new parents drive different cars?

·clyde·
11-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Yeah, there certainly quite a few child safety seats that parents have to deal with in a child's lifetime! I am not worried about the upright front facing seats, since I know that there will be ample room. It's the infant seat I'm wondering about, since they have to be pretty flat.

I'm not talking about forward facing seats. Most babies outgrow the infant seat before they're ready for a forward facing seat (12 months and 20+ pounds), so many people buy convertibles to use as rear facing for a few months before turning them forward. That seat, while rear facing takes up a differently shaped volume of space than an infant seat. Again, they're all different.

As for how far back from the dashboard the front seats are, I like to sit as far back as possible, with the seat upright, (which might be a plus when fitting the infant seat). So maybe it will work. I have tried to check for infant seats in the many 330's and 325's out there, in my neighborhood, but have not seen any. Maybe it's because typically new parents drive different cars?

FWIW...we have an E46 wagon. With an Evenflo infant seat/carrier (forget the model) behind it, I can't sit comfortably in the front passenger seat or if it's behind the driver's seat, I can't fit there at all. Same thing for the Britax Roundabouts we have when they are rear facing. I'm 6' tall (average proportions) and sit closer to the wheel than most people my size. (As an aside, I haven't had any issues with either rear facing seat in either position in the back of the RX-8.)

jabud3@aol.com
11-13-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm not talking about forward facing seats. Most babies outgrow the infant seat before they're ready for a forward facing seat (12 months and 20+ pounds), so many people buy convertibles to use as rear facing for a few months before turning them forward. That seat, while rear facing takes up a differently shaped volume of space than an infant seat. Again, they're all different.

FWIW...we have an E46 wagon. With an Evenflo infant seat/carrier (forget the model) behind it, I can't sit comfortably in the front passenger seat or if it's behind the driver's seat, I can't fit there at all. Same thing for the Britax Roundabouts we have when they are rear facing. I'm 6' tall (average proportions) and sit closer to the wheel than most people my size. (As an aside, I haven't had any issues with either rear facing seat in either position in the back of the RX-8.)

Bummer! Thanks for the input! I am not interested in the Lexus. :( Is the E46 wagon the BMW 330's version of a station wagon? I'm looking at the X3 and the Pilot. But I am 5'3" and my husband is 5'8" so maybe it will work. I wonder if it's the same situation when the seat is in middle, since it will touch both the passenger and driver's seats.

Desertnate
11-13-2004, 10:02 AM
When my youngest was tiny we had one of the Costco rear-facing seats (forget the model name now) which locked into a base which was strapped into the car. With that seat we had to put it in the center position of the back seat because it would not fit behind the passenger or driver seat when my wife and I were in the car. I am 5'9" with a longer torso, but ride pretty upright as well. With the seat in the middle it was wide enough it made things uncomfortable for my oldest daughter and any other passengers wo rode in the outboard seating positions.

I don't believe the X3 has any gains in seat room over an E464 sedan/wagon, so you will really want to take a look.

the worm
11-13-2004, 12:18 PM
We have a 2001 330 Sedan and a Britax Marathon (convertable) that we currently have rear facing in the center seat. Both my wife and I are 5'8" but she has much longer legs and needs the seat further back and everything fits fine. We have an 05 X3 on the way :rofl: and according to the measurements on MSN (see below) it looks like we are gaining a few inches on all the rear measurements so I am assuming it will not be a problem. I sure hope so because we just sold our Audi Avant because the rear facing seat did not fit in there. Good luck!

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Interior.aspx?modelid=9630&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=2

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Interior.aspx?modelid=11082&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=2&trimid=98614#trimsel

jabud3@aol.com
11-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Thank you, thank you! That's just what I wanted to hear about room for a baby seat! I've also been reading that the '05 has better leasing deals than the '04, so 2 more reasons to do it, (cost and more room than the '04)!

newdad
11-14-2004, 04:33 AM
we basically bought the X3 because of the baby so, speaking from my 1st hand newdad experience:

1)infant seat: we had a graco something, and it fitted just fine. HOWEVER, since 80% of the time you'd be carrying the baby in the carrier, it gets annoying over time to move the front seat forward(or tilt the back forward) to raise and lower the handle then move the seat back. (if you don't know what i'm talking about it's time for a trip down to the babiesrus warehouse near you.) but this nuisance will pass, as with the leaking poopy diapers & colicky & night waking up & all other @%$#*&....

2)convertible: we have a evenflo something, and it also fits just fine. and since at this stage you can't carry the baby with the seat, there's no need for the front seat adjustments anymore.

3)measurments: my wife is 5'6, average build. she probably could use a bit more of legrooms but when there're just three of us she's in the back so front psgr seat is unoccupied, and the darn 'airbag is not activated' warning led remains on and annoys the driver, me.....

4)placement: just an advice, since there's an armrest in the backseat you're not suppose to put the infant seat in the middle, the recommanded place is the right seat.

5)ride quality: i was a bit worried about the firm ride and the bumpiness of the backseat but my baby has been able to sleep just fine in the X3. he's 7 1/2 mo. now.

hope this helps. (it's gotta be helpful, isn't it?! ;) )

jabud3@aol.com
11-14-2004, 07:05 AM
we basically bought the X3 because of the baby so, speaking from my 1st hand newdad experience:

1)infant seat: we had a graco something, and it fitted just fine. HOWEVER, since 80% of the time you'd be carrying the baby in the carrier, it gets annoying over time to move the front seat forward(or tilt the back forward) to raise and lower the handle then move the seat back. (if you don't know what i'm talking about it's time for a trip down to the babiesrus warehouse near you.) but this nuisance will pass, as with the leaking poopy diapers & colicky & night waking up & all other @%$#*&....

2)convertible: we have a evenflo something, and it also fits just fine. and since at this stage you can't carry the baby with the seat, there's no need for the front seat adjustments anymore.

3)measurments: my wife is 5'6, average build. she probably could use a bit more of legrooms but when there're just three of us she's in the back so front psgr seat is unoccupied, and the darn 'airbag is not activated' warning led remains on and annoys the driver, me.....

4)placement: just an advice, since there's an armrest in the backseat you're not suppose to put the infant seat in the middle, the recommanded place is the right seat.

5)ride quality: i was a bit worried about the firm ride and the bumpiness of the backseat but my baby has been able to sleep just fine in the X3. he's 7 1/2 mo. now.

Thanks for the info about your X3 and the baby seats! --Especially about the center seat--not a great place. I was counting on putting it in the center, but oh well. I'd rather put the back of the passenger/driver seat up toward 90 degrees, than move the whole seat closer to the dashboard. I think it's so uncomfortable and scary to be so close to the dash!

So I suppose it won't be as much of a problem for me if it works with the seat back upright to its highest position. Also, I guess I'd only have to deal with this seat annoyance for about a year, unless our baby is especially small!

I'm just going to have to take the car to a local Babies R Us and try out the infant carrier and the convertible. But if anybody has more experience, please share!

Thanks!

the worm
11-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Thank you, thank you! That's just what I wanted to hear about room for a baby seat! I've also been reading that the '05 has better leasing deals than the '04, so 2 more reasons to do it, (cost and more room than the '04)!

Just so I am clear I am gaining inches on my 01 330 sedan, I think the 04 and 05 X3 are the same in measurement.

the worm
11-14-2004, 09:27 PM

also I saw this regarding #4, I guess it depends on the car.

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q41

CHud
11-15-2004, 08:05 AM
That's a good question. My son is rearfacing for another 5 months (and any future children). He's in the Britax Wizard (and we plan on him being in it till he's in Kindergarden) so I won't be going through a bunch of different ones (FYI You can start them in the Wizard at birth, however we didn't).

If you'd like I can try it out at a dealership. We are thinking of purchasing an x3 05 but I could try it out in the 04 and let you know.

keep off median
11-15-2004, 03:22 PM
This was a huge issue for us too! We did a thorough analysis of it before we purchased our X3. We have a 7 month old and she's been in the X3 since birth. We had the Connecticut State Police install both of our carseats. They initially expressed concern about the center position because of the armrest, however they thoroughly inspected the latch for the armrest and found it to be safe. They told us the preferred position is the center. Behind the driver is the next safest, followed by behind the passenger seat. We started out with a Graco snap in type seat (Kenbrook, I believe). It fit fine in the center, but would require less than desireable driving position for me if it was behind the driver seat (I'm 5'10"). If you put it behind the passenger seat, the passenger won't have a ton of legroom. It's barely adequate. We have since moved up to the Britax Roundabout. It is still rear facing, but we can move the front seats back another 3 or 4 inches over the Graco. We haven't tried this seat in the sides of the backseat, but I'm sure it would provide adequate front seat legroom. We too were looking at the Pilot, but realized that if you were looking for space, we should've bought the Pilot, but we fell in love with the X3 and since there are only 3 of us, the X3 was the choice. The Pilot was overkill and not nearly as much fun! Incidently, with the carseat in the center, we can accomodate grandma and grandpa in the backseat also! It's tighter with the Britax than the Graco though.

newdad
11-15-2004, 04:02 PM
They told us the preferred position is the center. Behind the driver is the next safest, followed by behind the passenger seat.
behind the psgr seat is the least safe? really? what did they base their comments on? as far as i am concerned, this is contradicting to general rules of thumb. is this specific to X3s?

BTW, how's the 7-month-old doing? pulling up yet? looks like we could start a sub group of 'X3s for new parents' in the 'fest... :thumbup:

keep off median
11-15-2004, 06:44 PM
behind the psgr seat is the least safe? really? what did they base their comments on? as far as i am concerned, this is contradicting to general rules of thumb. is this specific to X3s?

BTW, how's the 7-month-old doing? pulling up yet? looks like we could start a sub group of 'X3s for new parents' in the 'fest... :thumbup:
His reasoning was that your natural instinct would be to protect yourself in crash avoidance. This would serve to protect the precious cargo close to you. I'm sure arguements can be made both ways, but this guy took a 40 hour course on child safety in automobiles. The 1/2 hour he spent talking to us about it and installing the seat was very valuable. I'd highly recommend it!

We looked at the XC70, the Pilot, and the X3. After we drove the X3 we were able to convince ourselves we didn't need the room of the Pilot and my wife wasn't crazy about the Volvo. We do not regret the decision for a minute despite investing in a Thule box also.

Being a dad rocks! No one can every describe it to you. It's amazing!

smokeminside
11-16-2004, 01:06 AM
but here's my long-winded two cents: I was able to borrow a friend's 2004 X3 2.5 for about a week recently (great trade-off for a simple ride to and from the airport!) and I put it through its paces, children--wise.

My wife and I have three boys, ages 6 (52 lbs), 4 (45 lbs), and 13 months (23 lbs, but still rear facing), and I was worried about the car seat situation. We used an Evenflo with the base in the middle of the back seat for the sprout, flanked by two evenflo boosters with a hard plastic base and hard plastic armrests for the two older boys. No other configuration would have worked with the type of seats we had. (which didn't bother me at the time because I had always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the middle of the back seat was likely the safest spot in the car).

The fit was extremely tight from side to side, but workable. It would have worked much better if the booster seats were simply the "soft" ones, and not molded plastic. Front to back was NO problem, which is saying a lot since I'm six-three and had the driver's seat nearly all the way back. The evenflo with the base was fine as long as I had the handle in the vertical position. The older kids didn't mind the close proximity shoulder to shoulder because they were distracted by the truly awesome moonroof, the electric window switches, and the fact that I was constantly blasting U2's "Elevation" as we drove around.

I liked the car a lot and am trying to convince myself that despite the growing nature of my family it will be big enough to last a long time (we own cars for, on average, for about ten years).

And, yes, parenthood is amazingly indescribable :) Congrats to everyone on this thread re: your kids. God bless 'em, and us!

the worm
11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
but here's my long-winded two cents: I was able to borrow a friend's 2004 X3 2.5 for about a week recently (great trade-off for a simple ride to and from the airport!) and I put it through its paces, children--wise.

My wife and I have three boys, ages 6 (52 lbs), 4 (45 lbs), and 13 months (23 lbs, but still rear facing), and I was worried about the car seat situation. We used an Evenflo with the base in the middle of the back seat for the sprout, flanked by two evenflo boosters with a hard plastic base and hard plastic armrests for the two older boys. No other configuration would have worked with the type of seats we had. (which didn't bother me at the time because I had always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the middle of the back seat was likely the safest spot in the car).

The fit was extremely tight from side to side, but workable. It would have worked much better if the booster seats were simply the "soft" ones, and not molded plastic. Front to back was NO problem, which is saying a lot since I'm six-three and had the driver's seat nearly all the way back. The evenflo with the base was fine as long as I had the handle in the vertical position. The older kids didn't mind the close proximity shoulder to shoulder because they were distracted by the truly awesome moonroof, the electric window switches, and the fact that I was constantly blasting U2's "Elevation" as we drove around.

I liked the car a lot and am trying to convince myself that despite the growing nature of my family it will be big enough to last a long time (we own cars for, on average, for about ten years).

And, yes, parenthood is amazingly indescribable :) Congrats to everyone on this thread re: your kids. God bless 'em, and us!

Three boys! You might want to move up to the X5 but good to hear that they all fit albeit not quite as comfortable as you may want. I am planning on using mine as a "baby carrier" for now and possibly two but who knows what the future holds, right now I just want my X3!

jabud3@aol.com
11-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Just so I am clear I am gaining inches on my 01 330 sedan, I think the 04 and 05 X3 are the same in measurement.

Yes, they are. I found this out too.

jabud3@aol.com
11-17-2004, 12:44 PM
That's a good question. My son is rearfacing for another 5 months (and any future children). He's in the Britax Wizard (and we plan on him being in it till he's in Kindergarden) so I won't be going through a bunch of different ones (FYI You can start them in the Wizard at birth, however we didn't).

If you'd like I can try it out at a dealership. We are thinking of purchasing an x3 05 but I could try it out in the 04 and let you know.

Thanks a lot for your offer! After reading all of the replies, I'm convinced there isn't really a problem with an infant seat in the X3 afterall! :)

mguhler
11-20-2004, 07:12 AM
I took delivery Feb 5 2004, my son was born Feb. 10 2004. I installed the base for his rear facing seat in no time. It fits in great and the front seat passenger has plenty of room.
We just picked up a forward facing seat, I tested it's fit and it works great in the center position. Plenty of room!

Woody
11-20-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a 3 month old son with a rear facing seat in the middle of the rear seat &
everything is fine!!

sppuddsy
11-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear the X3 is good for the babies....ant recommendations on forward facing seats?? My little girl's getting ready to be turned around and our X3 arrives soon......thanks.

the worm
12-03-2004, 12:49 PM
We have a 2001 330 Sedan and a Britax Marathon (convertable) that we currently have rear facing in the center seat. Both my wife and I are 5'8" but she has much longer legs and needs the seat further back and everything fits fine. We have an 05 X3 on the way :rofl: and according to the measurements on MSN (see below) it looks like we are gaining a few inches on all the rear measurements so I am assuming it will not be a problem. I sure hope so because we just sold our Audi Avant because the rear facing seat did not fit in there. Good luck!

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Interior.aspx?modelid=9630&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=2

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Interior.aspx?modelid=11082&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=2&trimid=98614#trimsel

Quick update. We got our X3 :thumbup: , one note and this is carseat specific but we have the Birtax (seemed like the safest one out there) Marathon and when you put it in the middle rear seat position it covers up the seat belt receptors(?) for the left and right side seats. We had this same seat in our 330 sedan and it worked fine because they stuck out more but the X3 has them suken in the seat (nicer looking) but doesn't work in this case. What I did was move the seat over towards the driver side a bit so that I could expose the receptor/latch for the passenger side rear seat. This is a downside and I am sure only applies to certain car seats but something to be aware of. Otherwise my baby loves the moonroof! :rofl: