PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Reserve Fuel Indicator on 2004 545

Sahnemotor
11-14-2004, 06:41 PM
When my 2004 545i enters the reserve fuel range, the remaining amount of fuel and miles left before tank is empty is unreliable. The other day, for example, I had 19 miles left before the tank is empty and within driving less than one additional mile the indicator tells me I have merely 15 miles left. This sort of thing happens always when I enter the reserve fuel zone. Consequently I always rush right away to a gas station, as one cannot trust the indicator.

This indicates that I certainly cannot rely on the mileage left as indicated. Do others have this problem? Do you know of solutions to the problem and how to get this repaired?

Thanks!

firewired
11-15-2004, 06:22 AM
The range indicator is only a running average based on your last 20 miles of driving.

noonehome
11-15-2004, 10:01 AM
The range indicator is only a running average based on your last 20 miles of driving.

Actually, I think it is based upon real time consumption... I drive only in city driving at about 10.5 mpg. when the reserve indicator comes on it'll show 50 miles. If I drive 3 miles normaly/agressive it'll subtract 10 miles. If I lighten up and drive very conservitivly I will gain back 4-5 miles back in the next 3 miles.

Which makes sense from a worst case scenario perspective. If you're driving with a heavy right foot you will have a lot less distance to empty.

AsianImage
11-15-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree..I wouldnt rely on it 100% but my indicator on my 2001 540 is pretty accurate. I pushed it all to way to 8 miles...and then refilled...it went all the way to about 18 gallons..and we all know the car is 18.5.

I also "gained" mileage once just from Highway driving. I usually drive in the city...and once my range said 70 miles...I then hopped on the freeway to visit some friends about 45 min drive...cruising speed about 75 etc...no lead foot, no agressive driving...just purring along..and my range jumped to 85 miles left...

I would say it is pretty close...

Sahnemotor
11-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks to all of you for your most helpful replies!

Sahnemotor