PDA

View Full Version : Help- Bluetooth for 2005 X3

FireFly
11-16-2004, 05:13 PM
According to numerous postings on The Fest as well as the internet my 2005 X3 with premium package and BMW assist should have Bluetooth but I can't get it to work :(

1. Is there a way for me to verify that my vehicle is bluetooth equipped?
2. How do I get bluetooth working? I can't get the radio to display the "pairing devices" thing...

I have the Nokia 6310i bluetooth phone and when I sit inside my car and search for devices it indicates "No devices found". I know the phone works and can find devices because I set it near my bluetooth pda and each can find the other.

Do the 2005 models have Bluetooth or not?

I need help! This is pissing my off :mad:

When I took delivery the dealer was clueless so I can't just call them to get answers.
Please help :)

Other than this minor problem the Mrs. and I love the addition of the X3 to the BMW family.
Joe

kd2789mo
11-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Was a Bluetooth EIS card included with your paperwork when you took delivery? It may be in your glove box or OM cover. It is a half-sheet, with a bar coded EIS the dealership uses to initiate the Bluetooth system during pre-delivery prep. If your vehicle is Bluetooth capable, and your dealership failed to initiate the EIS, it will not be operative. Your Assist utilizes the same Bluetooth EIS, so if your Assist is operative, so is your Bluetooth initiated.
If you call BMWNA tomorrow, they will be able to answer whether your vehicle has Bluetooth capability.

FireFly
11-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Was a Bluetooth EIS card included with your paperwork when you took delivery? It may be in your glove box or OM cover. It is a half-sheet, with a bar coded EIS the dealership uses to initiate the Bluetooth system during pre-delivery prep. If your vehicle is Bluetooth capable, and your dealership failed to initiate the EIS, it will not be operative. Your Assist utilizes the same Bluetooth EIS, so if your Assist is operative, so is your Bluetooth initiated.
If you call BMWNA tomorrow, they will be able to answer whether your vehicle has Bluetooth capability.

I appreciate the quick response. Yes, I have the card with the pass key and Assist works fine- we tested it out when we took delivery.

So now that we know BT is enabled and I have the card, why can't I get it to work? I am sure it's an end user error :) but I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again.
Joe

Technic
11-16-2004, 05:52 PM
When I took delivery the dealer was clueless so I can't just call them to get answers.
Please help :)
Joe

Wow... their official announcement of the Bluetooth rollout for 2005 models was posted on 10/22 (at least in this forum), so they are supposed to have it, read it and make the pertinent arrangements in case of non working units some weeks ago and still your dealer do the delivery of your vehicle being blatantly ignorant of their own product.

I would be pissed off too... :rolleyes:

I guess that you have tried this. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=936093&postcount=9) If so to no avail, it seems to me that your car is not activated and your dealer should take care of this very quick.

kd2789mo
11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Go to this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76028
scroll down to the 7th post by Alex, and click on the Bluetooth .pdf link.

FireFly
11-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Go to this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76028
scroll down to the 7th post by Alex, and click on the Bluetooth .pdf link.

I have followed the link. Even though the X3 does not have the phone cradle I used the button on the steering wheel to try to do the pairing. Still no luck.

But as I stated above, BMW Assist works so I wonder why BT will not?

Thanks again for trying to help. I think this is a dealer issue.

AZGal
11-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I have followed the link. Even though the X3 does not have the phone cradle I used the button on the steering wheel to try to do the pairing. Still no luck.

But as I stated above, BMW Assist works so I wonder why BT will not?

Thanks again for trying to help. I think this is a dealer issue.

Hi
I feel as frustrated as you do and am taking it to the dealer this weekend. I had taken it to another dealership last weekend and the ignorance at the dealership pisses me off even more. :mad: Hopefully will have better luck this time.
In the previous post think that Lothar had a similar problem and got it fixed by applying a software change at his dealership . In addition-
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=207570&highlight=bluetooth

ChadS
11-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Try holding down the button on the steering wheel with the picture of a face with waves right after turning the key to the run position. While holding it down, try running a bluetooth search on your phone.

FireFly
11-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Try holding down the button on the steering wheel with the picture of a face with waves right after turning the key to the run position. While holding it down, try running a bluetooth search on your phone.

Tried this. The link AZGal posted from fanatics should get me started in the right direction to determine if the module is in the car (It must be since assist works and it uses the same module).

FireFly
11-18-2004, 07:23 AM
Update: Called BMWNA and my vehicle definitely has BT but the dealer must not have enabled it. Will be taking it in to have service fix it. Can't wait :D

the worm
11-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Update: Called BMWNA and my vehicle definitely has BT but the dealer must not have enabled it. Will be taking it in to have service fix it. Can't wait :D

What did they say? Are we saying that Assist can be active w/o BT being active? I am picking mine up (hopefully) next week and want to make sure that it is activated. Any info would be appreciated.

FireFly
11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
What did they say? Are we saying that Assist can be active w/o BT being active? I am picking mine up (hopefully) next week and want to make sure that it is activated. Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, if you have Assist then BT will work on your 2005 model. Just make sure that when you take delivery that the dealer activated the BT function in your vehicle. My guess is the smaller dealers (techs) are still in the dark about this while the large dealers know exactly what they are doing. At the dealer turn the vehicle "On" and look for the display to indicate "pairing". If the dealer activated BT the it will show this- mine does not because the dealer never activated it. They did not know they needed to :) likely because of the 2004 X3 BT debacle.

X3 Skier
08-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Took my SA all of five minutes to hook up my Razr. No Charge. I had a different phone when I picked up the x3 in Munich and when I brought the phone/x3 to the dealer, they immediately paired the phone and the car. Most of the time was waiting for the phone book to download to the car.

Cheers