PDA

View Full Version : Clear Taillights

rsh
11-17-2004, 12:21 AM
I just found out to upgrade to the clear taillights for my 2000 528i that its actual plug and play if I go with the non-LED version. If I go with the newer LED kind, it requires a slight mod with drilling a couple holes, etc. I haven't seen pictures of both installed but to me I actually like the look of the non-LED version. They seem smoother looking and less "digital" in appearance without all the horizontal lines. I know I'm probably in the minority here but what's the appeal of the newer LED version tailights? Unless they light up differently with a cool effect, I'm not sure its worth the hassle. Any thoughts out there? I'm not trying to start a heated discussion about disrespecting the LED version, I'm honestly just asking for input and if there are others that like the older more analog looking taillights without the LED's.

RSH

norcal 528i
11-17-2004, 09:42 AM
The Celis (led version) look absolutely killer at night. I want them. Maybe Santa reads bimmerfest? :angel:

BillP
11-17-2004, 05:21 PM
I just found out to upgrade to the clear taillights for my 2000 528i that its actual plug and play if I go with the non-LED version. If I go with the newer LED kind, it requires a slight mod with drilling a couple holes, etc. I haven't seen pictures of both installed but to me I actually like the look of the non-LED version. They seem smoother looking and less "digital" in appearance without all the horizontal lines. I know I'm probably in the minority here but what's the appeal of the newer LED version tailights? Unless they light up differently with a cool effect, I'm not sure its worth the hassle. Any thoughts out there? I'm not trying to start a heated discussion about disrespecting the LED version, I'm honestly just asking for input and if there are others that like the older more analog looking taillights without the LED's.

RSH

I chose to upgrade my ambers to the MY2000 M5 taillights you are talking about (clear, but not LED). I actually prefer them for my color car (Anthracite).

Either one would make for a much cleaner look - amber sucks.

Bill

rsh
11-17-2004, 09:54 PM
I chose to upgrade my ambers to the MY2000 M5 taillights you are talking about (clear, but not LED). I actually prefer them for my color car (Anthracite).

Either one would make for a much cleaner look - amber sucks.

Bill

Bill,
My BMW is Anthracite as well. I'm planning on ordering the angel eyes with the clear corners along with the clear side markers. So why did you decide to go clear without the LED version? Did you prefer the non-LED version better?

What are the MY2000 M5 taillights and where do I find them? I've gone to bekkers.com for the clear taillights for the E39 model year I have. Are these considered the same as the M5 you describe?

Later,
RSH

BillP
11-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Bill,
My BMW is Anthracite as well. I'm planning on ordering the angel eyes with the clear corners along with the clear side markers. So why did you decide to go clear without the LED version? Did you prefer the non-LED version better?

What are the MY2000 M5 taillights and where do I find them? I've gone to bekkers.com for the clear taillights for the E39 model year I have. Are these considered the same as the M5 you describe?

Later,
RSH

I think I got mine through Bekkers and these should be them:

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=56287-8&Category_Code=btlight5e39

The LED lights are starting to grow on me, however. They do look much cooler at night, but the jeweled look doesn't look as good on Anthracite during the day (IMO, of course).

Bill

Tahoe
11-19-2004, 04:57 PM
I have the clear corners on my '00 540. OEM Hela lights I believe and I'm pretty sure I got them from Bav Auto. I think the led lights look cool and they are a bit brighter than the regular bulb version but not so much cooler looking or brighter that I was willing to spend the extra $ for them. Personally, I don't much care for the egg yoke effect of yellow bulbs in clear lenses so I hit all the bulbs with a light coat of high temp silver paint. Works like a charm. No more egg yoke and still an amber light when lit.