PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help; vibrating steering wheel

bim530mer
11-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Hi,
I posted this before but really didn't get a fair answer... Expertise, I got a vibrating steering wheel between 50-60. The dealer told me I got two bent rims (my car is 2003 and has 14000 on it and am gentle driver to girls opinion :) ). They moved them to the back and the claimed good ones to the front but it is still there... what should I do ??

Just few aux questions:
1- I have to push the brake pedal all the way down to stop my car.. the dealer says this is ok .. what do you say?
2- I drove my uncle's 525 and mine 530, the wind rush at 60 on his equals to the wind noise on mine at 75 ... and when the wind is agianst me like on highways I feel am driving a japanese car not a german .. I checked the rubber where the car can be lift with the jack... they are there .. the dealer again says it is fine :cry: I feel like it is the windscreen not fit properly?!?!
3 - My side mirrors don't fold equally...
4 - Rattles... especially where the palstic meets the leather on the seats

Tell me guys ... is that my bad luck or what :dunno:

TheMatrixz
11-17-2004, 04:07 AM
If you have bent wheels, moving them to the back only help a little, you'll need good wheels all around. You'll also need to have them balance with a Roadforce balancer

Brake pedal shouldn't travel that far, I'd say half the distance is OK, you might need to bleed the brakes.

If the car ever had the windshield replaced, you might experience excessive wind noise if the glass and trims weren't installed per BMW specs.

Dave 330i
11-17-2004, 07:13 AM
I drove my uncle's 525 and mine 530, the wind rush at 60 on his equals to the wind noise on mine at 75 ... and when the wind is agianst me like on highways I feel am driving a japanese car not a german

What does it feel like driving a japanese car when the wind is against you :dunno:

Ågent99
11-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Have the mechanic who will work on your car go with you on a test drive (he should drive) so that you can show him what you are talking about. Hopefully he can feel the vibration and notice the pedal travel and hear the wind noise.

Have you been to the dealer since your last post?

kd2789mo
11-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi,
I posted this before but really didn't get a fair answer... Expertise, I got a vibrating steering wheel between 50-60. The dealer told me I got two bent rims (my car is 2003 and has 14000 on it and am gentle driver to girls opinion :) ). They moved them to the back and the claimed good ones to the front but it is still there... what should I do ??
If your vehicle is an '03 with 14k, it is still under factory warranty. If your vehicle has "bent rims," their condition could only be caused as an original manufacture defect, or as result of impact. The former covered by your warranty, the latter not.
As a rule, an oscillation in the steering wheel, between the speeds of 50-70 is a result of a non-true rotation of the wheel/tire assembly. Most often, this is corrected in the balancing process of the wheel/tire assembly. Non-true rotation of the front wheel/tires is felt as an oscillation in the steering wheel, and non-true rotation of the rear wheel/tires is felt as a left/right motion in the seats. A technician whom is expert level in this area, can drive a vehicle and quickly determine the source of the non-true rotation, most often, down to a single tire/wheel assembly.
If you do not believe your problem falls under your warranty, I recommend you have the vehicle checked by an independent shop proficient in proformace-type tires.

Just few aux questions:
1- I have to push the brake pedal all the way down to stop my car.. the dealer says this is ok .. what do you say?
2- I drove my uncle's 525 and mine 530, the wind rush at 60 on his equals to the wind noise on mine at 75 ... and when the wind is agianst me like on highways I feel am driving a japanese car not a german .. I checked the rubber where the car can be lift with the jack... they are there .. the dealer again says it is fine :cry: I feel like it is the windscreen not fit properly?!?!
3 - My side mirrors don't fold equally...
4 - Rattles... especially where the palstic meets the leather on the seats
--1) The brake pedal should only traverse 50-60%, and never beyond 60% as the ABS system becomes activated beyond 50%.
--2) My 545 and 745 have different wind property noise. I do not think you can compare even a 525 and 530. Either way, this seems like it would be a warranty issue.
--3) Do not understand what meant, as in, folding them in for a car wash?
--4) As a rule, most dealerships are poor at detecting rattles. If you can ride in your car, whilst another drives, and isolate the rattles by touching different areas near the rattle (the rattle will cease when you secure the loose area with your hand), and then direct the dealership as to the source needing correction.

norcal 528i
11-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Your shimmy could be thrust arm bushing. Is it a constant thing?

bim530mer
11-20-2004, 05:26 AM
What does it feel like driving a japanese car when the wind is against you :dunno:
Well, I would say a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord are quieter than mine. The wind is not whistling that's the dealer's point. But for me, we've got 4 similar cars all 2003 and all of them are quieter than mine witnessed by their owners :cry: .. what do you think... I can't really tell specifically where.. I just feel it is too much all around... but when against the wind.. then yes... you could feel it coming from the windshield the moonroof and rushing over the side windows :thumbdwn:

bim530mer
11-20-2004, 05:29 AM
Have the mechanic who will work on your car go with you on a test drive (he should drive) so that you can show him what you are talking about. Hopefully he can feel the vibration and notice the pedal travel and hear the wind noise.

Have you been to the dealer since your last post?

No not since last post.. I am trying to contact them and tell them that the putting the bad rims at the back didn't do much...

And yes.. the dealer's mechanic felt the vibration and all he said it is the bad rims... but the wind and brake travel is all alright...

I am not a picky guy... I drove other cars and felt mine is different...

bim530mer
11-20-2004, 05:35 AM
If your vehicle is an '03 with 14k, it is still under factory warranty. If your vehicle has "bent rims," their condition could only be caused as an original manufacture defect, or as result of impact. The former covered by your warranty, the latter not.
As a rule, an oscillation in the steering wheel, between the speeds of 50-70 is a result of a non-true rotation of the wheel/tire assembly. Most often, this is corrected in the balancing process of the wheel/tire assembly. Non-true rotation of the front wheel/tires is felt as an oscillation in the steering wheel, and non-true rotation of the rear wheel/tires is felt as a left/right motion in the seats. A technician whom is expert level in this area, can drive a vehicle and quickly determine the source of the non-true rotation, most often, down to a single tire/wheel assembly.
If you do not believe your problem falls under your warranty, I recommend you have the vehicle checked by an independent shop proficient in proformace-type tires.

--1) The brake pedal should only traverse 50-60%, and never beyond 60% as the ABS system becomes activated beyond 50%.
--2) My 545 and 745 have different wind property noise. I do not think you can compare even a 525 and 530. Either way, this seems like it would be a warranty issue.
--3) Do not understand what meant, as in, folding them in for a car wash?
--4) As a rule, most dealerships are poor at detecting rattles. If you can ride in your car, whilst another drives, and isolate the rattles by touching different areas near the rattle (the rattle will cease when you secure the loose area with your hand), and then direct the dealership as to the source needing correction.
Thanks a lot.

The dealer couldn't do better than saying bent rims, move to back, you definitely hit something and not under warrenty... and yes it is oscillation felt and witnessed by the eyes.

Other than that, you are just confirming my worries that there is really a porblem with the brake pedal.

Comparing 525 to a 530 .. well, shouldn't the 530 be better ?

bim530mer
11-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Your shimmy could be thrust arm bushing. Is it a constant thing?
Thanks,
Yes it is constant if keep driving between 50-60 even sometimes 65... It is just the shaking strength varies from little to more... hardest at 55..

bim530mer
11-20-2004, 05:41 AM
If you have bent wheels, moving them to the back only help a little, you'll need good wheels all around. You'll also need to have them balance with a Roadforce balancer

Brake pedal shouldn't travel that far, I'd say half the distance is OK, you might need to bleed the brakes.

If the car ever had the windshield replaced, you might experience excessive wind noise if the glass and trims weren't installed per BMW specs.Thanks,
The wheels have been re-balanced and that didn't work. And even moving the bad ones to the back didn't change the shaking in the steering wheel.

The brake travel is 70 to do good work... very hard to stop the car over a slope (garage for example)... but what do you mean by bleeding the brakes?

The windshield has never been touched.. I mean all my parts are still factory..

jvr826
11-20-2004, 07:25 AM
What kind of tires do u have and is the air pressure properly set? Do you feel the vibration even after you've driven the car long enough to heat the tires up to operating temperature, like 15-30 minutes of constant driving? Is it more noticable first thing in the morning after the car has sat over night? Do u notice it at slow speeds too?

I ask because I have Bridgestone S-03 tires on my car and when I first got them I thought they were balanced improperly. The first drive of the day I'd notice a "shimmy" and vibration even at slow speeds. The real issue for me is that the tires flat spot after sitting over night or longer, but goes away after the tires heat up.

I've also had bent rims thanks to some massive pothole impacts. I had them repaired to "within spec" according to the repair shop, but even the slightest bend was noticable in the steering wheel, regardless of how carefully they were balanced. I moved the repaired wheels to the back and could still notice it. The suspension on your car is very sensitive to tire/wheel problems. I couldn't stand it so I bought a whole new set of wheels.

Lastly, lug nut torque is very important. For your car it should be set between 78 and 88 lb-ft, I set mine at 88. If you do this yourself be certain your torque wrench is accurate as overtightening will cause warping of rotors.

--------------

The wind noise should not be there as these cars are super quiet. Perhaps your hood is misaligned a little bit? Maybe the sunroof needs adjustment when closed?

---------------
I also second the opinion about bleeding the brakes. It seems odd that you'd need to do that at 14k miles, but you never know. Do u check the brake fluid? It may be low too. No warning light on your dash board? I'd have the fluid changed and bled by a pro, minor expense and that should take out any moisture or air bubbles that could be causing the spongy pedal.

bim530mer
11-22-2004, 04:39 AM
What kind of tires do u have and is the air pressure properly set? Do you feel the vibration even after you've driven the car long enough to heat the tires up to operating temperature, like 15-30 minutes of constant driving? Is it more noticable first thing in the morning after the car has sat over night? Do u notice it at slow speeds too?

I ask because I have Bridgestone S-03 tires on my car and when I first got them I thought they were balanced improperly. The first drive of the day I'd notice a "shimmy" and vibration even at slow speeds. The real issue for me is that the tires flat spot after sitting over night or longer, but goes away after the tires heat up.

I've also had bent rims thanks to some massive pothole impacts. I had them repaired to "within spec" according to the repair shop, but even the slightest bend was noticable in the steering wheel, regardless of how carefully they were balanced. I moved the repaired wheels to the back and could still notice it. The suspension on your car is very sensitive to tire/wheel problems. I couldn't stand it so I bought a whole new set of wheels.

Lastly, lug nut torque is very important. For your car it should be set between 78 and 88 lb-ft, I set mine at 88. If you do this yourself be certain your torque wrench is accurate as overtightening will cause warping of rotors.

--------------

The wind noise should not be there as these cars are super quiet. Perhaps your hood is misaligned a little bit? Maybe the sunroof needs adjustment when closed?

---------------
I also second the opinion about bleeding the brakes. It seems odd that you'd need to do that at 14k miles, but you never know. Do u check the brake fluid? It may be low too. No warning light on your dash board? I'd have the fluid changed and bled by a pro, minor expense and that should take out any moisture or air bubbles that could be causing the spongy pedal.

Thanks a lot jvr,
I have not ever felt like my tyres have flat sports as I don't feel any vibration when I leave the car overnight... They just go smoothly till I hit the 55 when it starts... but sometimes I noticed that it does not apear that clearly .. and sometimes not at all till the road gets harsh or I get harsh on the car... strange... my tyre are Dunlop s2xxx Sport (don't remember the code) 235/45ZR17 all... And my tyres are factory and have been rebalanced and fit by the dealer..

For the wind noise.. I really don't know if the dealer would any better than re-aligning my doors... but will try...

I will let the dealer next time check the brake fluid... I don't trust the BMW shops around here...

What type of problems have you gone through with your car so far and how much milage did you put on it?

By the way how do I know if my car got the sprot suspension...