PDA

View Full Version : It's official. No Bluetooth with BMW Assist on 2004 X3!

popx3
11-17-2004, 06:02 PM
As per SIB 84 13 04 there are also some hardware problems with the TCU on our 2004 X3 beside the software upgrade to enable the BT to work with the Assist. I have the BT logo, pass key, and 3 coax antenna cables coming to my TCU, the Main Cellular, the Bluetooth, and the GPS. The Backup Cellular antenna cable is routed to be use with the cradle and is not connected to the TCU. The 2004 TCU hardware it was intended maybe to support Assist and BT and get a later software updates, but it seems that BMW find a easier way to fix this by changing the hardware also on 2005 TCU models and there will not be an easy “only software solution” for our 2004 X3. Let see how this issue will be addressed by BMWNA. If you need the BT with the Assist than get a new 2005 TCU otherwise get an Bluetooth ULF and forget about the Assist. Oh, the Assist has added now a stolen vehicle recovery service… to get some new potential subscribers, after the promised BT has failed. How much extra cost beside the Assist $240/year will be this feature to keep us in the assist family! :dunno:

the worm
11-17-2004, 06:39 PM
As per SIB 84 13 04 there are also some hardware problems with the TCU on our 2004 X3 beside the software upgrade to enable the BT to work with the Assist. I have the BT logo, pass key, and 3 coax antenna cables coming to my TCU, the Main Cellular, the Bluetooth, and the GPS. The Backup Cellular antenna cable is routed to be use with the cradle and is not connected to the TCU. The 2004 TCU hardware it was intended maybe to support Assist and BT and get a later software updates, but it seems that BMW find a easier way to fix this by changing the hardware also on 2005 TCU models and there will not be an easy “only software solution” for our 2004 X3. Let see how this issue will be addressed by BMWNA. If you need the BT with the Assist than get a new 2005 TCU otherwise get an Bluetooth ULF and forget about the Assist. Oh, the Assist has added now a stolen vehicle recovery service… to get some new potential subscribers, after the promised BT has failed. How much extra cost beside the Assist $240/year will be this feature to keep us in the assist family! :dunno:

That s*cks! It states that vehicles produced between 3/04 and 8/04 do not have BT support, how do you find out when your car was produced?

flynhawaiian
11-17-2004, 07:19 PM
WELL THATS HORSE ****... HORSE **** I SAY... CAN I JUST BUY A NEW 2005 TCU TO FIX THE PROBLEM THEN? SHOULD I EVEN BOTHER SINCE BMW ASSIST IS CRAP NOW? WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK???? *SIGH*

That s*cks! It states that vehicles produced between 3/04 and 8/04 do not have BT support, how do you find out when your car was produced?

popx3
11-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Look on your Owner's manual insert with the BMW and Motorola logo which on mine shows
USA 03.03.2004 one month prior my ED picked up, or use your VIN# on Owner's Circle web page.

kd2789mo
11-17-2004, 10:14 PM
how do you find out when your car was produced?
The month/year is stamped on the metal label affixed to the driver's door jamb.

niftyswifty
11-18-2004, 03:45 PM
So basically, since I have an X3 built before 8/04, I'm screwed? Either I have to dump Assist, or I have to buy a whole new Assist/BT module in order to get Bluetooth working? A whole new module sounds like it would be pretty expensive.

beware_phog
11-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Just buy a headpiece. I don't see why this is a big deal.

So basically, since I have an X3 built before 8/04, I'm screwed? Either I have to dump Assist, or I have to buy a whole new Assist/BT module in order to get Bluetooth working? A whole new module sounds like it would be pretty expensive.

scottcan
11-30-2004, 02:04 PM
I purchased new X3 in October 2004 so I natuarally expect that, well, it would be a new 2004 X3 with all the refinements and mods in place as of 10/04. The X3 I leased had to be brought in from another dealer so I did not have a chace to see the car until I signed the lease agreement. The X3 I received had a maufacture date of 3/04 (9 months before I signed the lease agreement!). Since BMW now says they will not support bluetooth on X3's bewteen manufacture dates of 3/04 to 8/04 and I lesed my supposidly new X3 on 10/04, I fully expect BMW to bring my X3 up to date with the features that were in place as of 10/04. I was NOT told by the salesman that, yes, you are leasing a new X3, BUT, if you happen to get an early production model it may not have all the features that are on the current production X3's. Also, I was told that BMW assist would support a cell phone and I did receive the card with my BT ID number. I have seen replies on this forum from BMWNA people so if you read this please respond. I fully expect BMW to do something about this issue since lying by omission is not acceptable.

scottcan

BMWNA
12-08-2004, 09:09 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

flynhawaiian
12-08-2004, 02:42 PM
It should also be noted that a petition has started. Its not just scott who was promissed that at the time of delivery, lots of us were too....

currently 145 people have signed this. BMW needs to do something about this problem...

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?mc1981

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

popx3
05-30-2005, 10:46 AM
How soon Mr. Vatkens? I am going to remove the assist and better ask BMWNA to stop sending me the Assist renewing letters every month!
BR.
POPX3

jlaverick2
03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I purchased new X3 in October 2004 so I natuarally expect that, well, it would be a new 2004 X3 with all the refinements and mods in place as of 10/04. The X3 I leased had to be brought in from another dealer so I did not have a chace to see the car until I signed the lease agreement. The X3 I received had a maufacture date of 3/04 (9 months before I signed the lease agreement!). Since BMW now says they will not support bluetooth on X3's bewteen manufacture dates of 3/04 to 8/04 and I lesed my supposidly new X3 on 10/04, I fully expect BMW to bring my X3 up to date with the features that were in place as of 10/04. I was NOT told by the salesman that, yes, you are leasing a new X3, BUT, if you happen to get an early production model it may not have all the features that are on the current production X3's. Also, I was told that BMW assist would support a cell phone and I did receive the card with my BT ID number. I have seen replies on this forum from BMWNA people so if you read this please respond. I fully expect BMW to do something about this issue since lying by omission is not acceptable.

scottcan

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2004 X3. Mine was produced in June of 2004 w/out the BT. The above post states that there is a card from Motorola w/ a BT ID #. I also have this card and was wondering why I would have this card w/ no BT. Any thoughts?

AzNMpower32
03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I recently purchased a pre-owned 2004 X3. Mine was produced in June of 2004 w/out the BT. The above post states that there is a card from Motorola w/ a BT ID #. I also have this card and was wondering why I would have this card w/ no BT. Any thoughts?
Honestly, don't know. I too have the BT card thing, but the reality is that our cars were not Bluetooth equipped since it was not availble. If you want it badly, you can retrofit it aftermarket.

MPBX3
03-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Honestly, don't know. I too have the BT card thing, but the reality is that our cars were not Bluetooth equipped since it was not availble. If you want it badly, you can retrofit it aftermarket.

Not sure it can be retro with the buttons being utilized on the steering wheel,

I had a Parrot 3000 installed in my Mustang.

jviz4u
03-30-2007, 05:46 PM
FYI:
You can integrate your Parrot with Connects2 Parrot Bluetooth Steering Wheel Adapter from http://www.connects2auto.com/9.html

AzNMpower32
03-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Not sure it can be retro with the buttons being utilized on the steering wheel,

I had a Parrot 3000 installed in my Mustang.
http://www.bimmernav.com/

They have a kit avail. Pricey, yes. But it'll work with factory buttons and display I believe.

MPBX3
03-30-2007, 08:16 PM
FYI:
You can integrate your Parrot with Connects2 Parrot Bluetooth Steering Wheel Adapter from http://www.connects2auto.com/9.html

This looks like it should work.

Now to convince the wife.

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would love to hear if anyone here had this installed.

03-31-2007, 06:24 AM
As per SIB 84 13 04 there are also some hardware problems with the TCU on our 2004 X3 beside the software upgrade to enable the BT to work with the Assist. I have the BT logo, pass key, and 3 coax antenna cables coming to my TCU, the Main Cellular, the Bluetooth, and the GPS. The Backup Cellular antenna cable is routed to be use with the cradle and is not connected to the TCU. The 2004 TCU hardware it was intended maybe to support Assist and BT and get a later software updates, but it seems that BMW find a easier way to fix this by changing the hardware also on 2005 TCU models and there will not be an easy ***8220;only software solution***8221; for our 2004 X3. Let see how this issue will be addressed by BMWNA. If you need the BT with the Assist than get a new 2005 TCU otherwise get an Bluetooth ULF and forget about the Assist. Oh, the Assist has added now a stolen vehicle recovery service***8230; to get some new potential subscribers, after the promised BT has failed. How much extra cost beside the Assist $240/year will be this feature to keep us in the assist family! :dunno:

To OP:
WHAT?? It is now 2007, so it took you 3 years to realize this????

:tsk: :dunno: :rofl: :yikes: :confused: :banghead: :loco: :slap: :flush: :snooze: