PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust System (partial review, more to come…)

flynhawaiian
11-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Well I am sure most of you have been wondering what that crazy guy, FlynHawaiian has been up to lately. Well I got a new exhaust system installed. All I can say is WOW. There is quite a bit of difference between the stock system and the new Super Sprint system. One of the first things you will notice is the deep growl that the engine now has.

As you sit and look at the new muffler, one of the things you will notice is the difference in the quality of workmanship that the Italians put forth in their exhaust systems. The new muffler is made out of 306 stainless steel, and this metal provides really good life in extreme conditions. Another nice thing about this metal is it can be polished up to look very shinny and glass like.

Many people would ask, “Why would someone change the stock muffler? Oh! He is one of those rice rocket guys” (glass pack muffler here I come), well no that is not the reason this was done at all. This muffler not only sounds better than stock it improves the performance of the engine. I have noticed a increase in the midrange power. The car is not only more alive, but a lot more fun to drive. Having more midrange power is good because it helps you dodge those crazy semi-truck drivers who cannot keep in their lanes.

I will be driving down to Ventura County this weekend. I want to put some miles on the new system before I post the sound clips. Also, I would like to provide you guys with some opinions on the sound difference at different speeds.

Now Time for the Pictures...

Stock Versus Super Sprint

http://members.roadfly.org/flynhawaiian/stock_muffler.jpg

http://members.roadfly.org/flynhawaiian/ss_muffler.jpg

Stock Installed

http://members.roadfly.org/flynhawaiian/stock_installed.jpg

Super Sprint Installed

http://members.roadfly.org/flynhawaiian/ss_installed.jpg

http://members.roadfly.org/flynhawaiian/ss_installed_side.jpg

breytonX5
11-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Looks fantastic :thumbup: !! There's just no comparison btw stock and the Supersprint. I also considered this exhaust for my X5.

flynhawaiian
11-18-2004, 10:40 AM
I can highly recommend them, really good system, and easy to install...

Looks fantastic :thumbup: !! There's just no comparison btw stock and the Supersprint. I also considered this exhaust for my X5.

scottcan
11-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Why would a muffler/exhaust change increase power? Do you know how much increase in terms of a delta in HP?. What about gas mileage? Does changing the muffler have any affect on the BMW warranty? Can you give us a rough idea of cost? It does sound intrigueing (sp?).

Thanks,

Larry
2004 X3,3.0, SP w/ special BMW wheel upgrade, ipod installed (great).

jvr826
11-19-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm curious as I have never done any exhaust work, but with the Bimmerfest Group Buy going on, I'm thinking about one for my 530i.

Is there any metal cutting involved in the installation or is this just a bolt on mod?

BTW, I have a 3.0 X3 loaner right now and I find the stock exhaust note quite throaty compared to my 530i, at least at startup and idle it is.

x5Monkey®
11-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Why would a muffler/exhaust change increase power? Do you know how much increase in terms of a delta in HP?. What about gas mileage? Does changing the muffler have any affect on the BMW warranty? Can you give us a rough idea of cost? It does sound intrigueing (sp?).

Thanks,

Larry
2004 X3,3.0, SP w/ special BMW wheel upgrade, ipod installed (great).
The perceived increase in power is directly proportional to the amount spent on the aftermarket exhaust. Meaning, you might get 1 or 2 hp on a dyno but i'd like to see the proof. You might get a slight increase in gas mileage. I get about 1 on the hwy more with my Remus exhaust on my x5 4.4.
On the other hand for some people like myself, the change in exhaust note and the improved looks are well worth the price.
the only bmw warranty that will be effected will be for the exhaust itself.

flynhawaiian
11-19-2004, 11:16 AM
There is always metal cutting involved. You have to remove the rear muffler somehow? Once it is removed you just bolt it up, or simply weld it like I had done. I recommend taking the car to a muffler shop to have them do the work. Make sure they understand what you are trying to do to the car and you want to increase the power (ie. make the exhaust more free flowing).

SARAFIL
11-19-2004, 11:20 AM
There is always metal cutting involved. You have to remove the rear muffler somehow? Once it is removed you just bolt it up, or simply weld it like I had done. I recommend taking the car to a muffler shop to have them do the work. Make sure they understand what you are trying to do to the car and you want to increase the power (ie. make the exhaust more free flowing).

Any trimming of the exhaust cut out in the rear bumper needed, or did it fit within the stock opening? It looks like it is very tight in the pics.

Any pics of the exhaust from behind the car (standing behind the car looking towars the rear)? I'm wondering how it looks from the back.

Any idea on what this will sell for once it is available?

flynhawaiian
11-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Going to take thos pictures at the end of this week (maybe the weekend or next week). No clue on the ful pricing, but will be available by the end of the year, early next year.

Any trimming of the exhaust cut out in the rear bumper needed, or did it fit within the stock opening? It looks like it is very tight in the pics.

Any pics of the exhaust from behind the car (standing behind the car looking towars the rear)? I'm wondering how it looks from the back.

Any idea on what this will sell for once it is available?