PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh I dunno what to do....

Sal329
11-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Ahhh I want a new car, I work for BMW dealer and have ben for the last years and driving a hooked up 12 sec stang. The stang is a great car but I want something with a nicer highway ride and better then 17mph on highway. Unfortunatley I have to sell the stang in order to get another car. I am debating on a 2001+ 330i or 530i and a 99+540i. I like the 3.0 because gas milage. I love the 540 cause the V8 power. What are your opinions on your cars. Looking for a car with great handling and better then 20mpg on highway. What is the avg price for a used 330, 530 and 540. The ones I have seen at dealers seem kinda high.

carndog
11-18-2004, 10:08 AM
A friend of mine and I have been looking for used cars for months and over the last couple weeks I came to the realization that it's stupid to buy a used BMW because the resale is so high. Obviously, high resale is good if you buy new and bad if you buy used. I realized that it made more financial sense to try to get the best deal I could on a new car and enjoy the maintenance program and warranty and then at worst sell it later at a high resale price and let some other sucker do the dirty work. You really just need to be able to cover the depreciation by the time you sell it.

Since you work at the dealer what is the best deal you can get on a new one? Don't they give you a discount?

I chose the 530i for the same reasons, decent gas mileage and better horsepower than the 525.

Speedfreak
11-18-2004, 11:19 AM
With a 540 you will get : a high price, but you can get a nice one for 25,000 or less, and it will continue to hold its value for a while longer, high maintenance cost, and gas mileage that is over 20 on the highway.

liuk3
11-18-2004, 11:26 AM
fyi,
The 2002 530 came with a nicer steering wheel over the 2001 530 for the sport package. I have enjoyed driving my 530 which gives me plenty of enough power for street driving.

jvr826
11-18-2004, 11:50 AM
fyi,
The 2002 530 came with a nicer steering wheel over the 2001 530 for the sport package. I have enjoyed driving my 530 which gives me plenty of enough power for street driving.

I can second that! The 2002 530 is a fantastic car. I've done a few mods to my sport package equipped car: short shift kit, M5 rear sway bar, 18" wheels and tires - handling is much improved with these. Adding a cold air intake has improved throttle response quite a bit too and makes this car feel much more powerful than 225hp. It uses some oil now and then, maybe a quart every 8k miles or so. It's light on it's feet thanks to lower weight than 540 and r&p steering. We debate this all the time, but IMO, r&p is superior.

Other than some minor annoyances, including the dreaded seat click issue, the car has been bullet proof for me and I am not a freeway cruiser kinda guy. I drive on mountain roads primarily and the sport suspension (with my mods) lets me have a really great ride every time I leave the house.

And, the E39 is a good looking car too! Again, IMHO! :angel:

Sal329
11-18-2004, 03:04 PM
HAHA :rofl: Discount from my dealer that one was a good one. Both BMW dealers I worked at are not into giving discounts at all, the main reason I bought my Mustang over a 540 back in 2001. I don't want a new BMW because I really like the bigger 5 over the smaller 3 series and the E39 is by far my favorite there is. I do not like the E60 body style. Im more leaning towards the 530i. This I think would be a perfect daily ride, next year towards the end maybe I will buy another mustang and have my drag car as well as my car for daily drives with sport and luxury.

kc5
11-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Can't go wrong with any of your listed BMW options. I LOVE my '03 530i, so I am partial to that one. You will not regret getting an E39.

marinakorp
11-19-2004, 07:43 AM
a 530 is a great ride

a 540 is a BLAST to drive

they both are wonderful cars... Might lean towards the 530... better mileage, good HP, a great feel to drive

liuk3
11-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Might lean towards the 530... better mileage, good HP, a great feel to drive

Wow, that's one of the first times I've actually seen someone driving a V8 say something favorable about the I6. I absolutely love my car for everyday street driving, but usually the V8 guys cr@p all over the 530 about how underpowered it is. Kudos to you Marinakorp. :thumbup:

Sal329
11-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Yea Im done with high horsepower for now. Next year I will build a Fox body stang for drag racing, just need a great handling good gas mileage fun to drive car.
What are your thoughts on the Acura TL?

marinakorp
11-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Wow, that's one of the first times I've actually seen someone driving a V8 say something favorable about the I6. I absolutely love my car for everyday street driving, but usually the V8 guys cr@p all over the 530 about how underpowered it is. Kudos to you Marinakorp. :thumbup:
thanks... to be honest... if they made a 530 touring... I would have bought it

but ... the 540 was so intoxicating over the other options... so I jumped

there is nothing wrong with the 530... plenty quick (for an i6 of course) and handles quite nicely, gets decent mileage... what is not to like?