PDA

View Full Version : 05 Warranty

carndog
11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
What do the extended warranties cost from BMW and is it cheaper to buy the warranty at the time of purchase or later before the initial one expires. And are there better ways to buy an extended warranty? What should it cost? Thanks, Carndog :mad: :dunno:

subterFUSE
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm not a proponent of the extended warranty.
They are the #1 most profitable product an auto dealer can sell. The cutomer almost never uses it.

carndog
11-18-2004, 11:13 PM
I have a 99 volvo s80 which I bought at 52k miles with an extended warranty and I think god I have the warranty. My sunroof went bad which cost about $1500 to fix, some other struts went bad,etc. I know for sure there have been $5k worth of expenses that the warranty has covered. My sister right now has a 3 series car that has some bushings and a rear differntial that need fixing and if she had an extended warranty she wouldn't be stressing. I think you are being naive that a BMW won't need warranty work after 50k miles. I guarantee it will need work, look at the consumer reports right now and the WSJ they spell it out. It's a good looking car but let's face it there are going to be problems. But what is a reasonable cost for the warranty? :mad:

lcc014
11-20-2004, 04:14 AM
I asked the dealer before I took delivery of my 05 530i. The extended warranty cost a little bit more than $2000. You can purchase it before the initial warranty expire. It is a 6 year 100,000 miles coverage including the original warranty. So, it extends 2 more years or 50,000 more miles of the original factory warranty.

I bought the extended warranty on my Volvo 850 ($1800), it was worth it. I am not sure how reliable of the BMW especially with all this complex electronics components integrated into the car system !!!

Ching-Ho Cheng

shabbaman
11-20-2004, 11:59 AM
What do the extended warranties cost from BMW and is it cheaper to buy the warranty at the time of purchase or later before the initial one expires. And are there better ways to buy an extended warranty? What should it cost? Thanks, Carndog :mad: :dunno:

The price is the same whether the car has 0 miles and is a day old or 49999 miles and is a day short of 4 years old. The only 2 conditions are that you are the original owner and the car is still within its original warranty period. The cost depends on the car. There's a thread in the 'Ask a dealer' forum that goes over the specific costs for each model. Do a search there. I would only buy this warranty a month before my original warranty is about to expire mainly because this extended warranty is only transferrable if you sell your car to a private party. If you trade in your car, the warranty does not transfer. That's why it only makes sense to purchase it if you intend on keeping the car.

Additionally, you can pre pay for additional maintenance. The only condition here is that the car is still in its original maintenance window. You do not need to be the original owner. And I don't recall if there are any limitations to the maintenance program if you do a trade in. Again, there's a thread in the 'Dealer' forum with specific details. Do a search there and you'll get some good information specific to your question.