PDA

View Full Version : Aux input for Ipod

Woody
11-19-2004, 06:04 AM
OK so I just bought a 2004 X3. I have searched this board & other forums & I can't find my answer:

So can I hook up a Blitzsafe aux adapter to where the CD changer goes? I pulled out this adapter from my 2001 325i & want to use it on my new car. Do I have to buy the BMW aux adapter & hook up to the back of the radio or buy the BMW iPod hook up?

Sorry, I know this iPod thing has been beaten to death!!

nzDave
11-19-2004, 06:17 AM
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your Blitzsafe the same way it was used on the 325. Unless the X3 has a DSP radio, you just need to find out were the CD changer port is located. Some models have a connection for a glove box mount. maybe it is behind there if it's not in the trunk area.

Woody
11-19-2004, 06:28 AM
On an X3 the CD changer goes in the front center console. I would rather find out for
sure before I remove the whole center console & can't do what I want to do.

sfca-325i
11-19-2004, 09:11 AM
There's no way to tell without calling Blitzsafe. Blitzsafe's online application guide doesn't yet list the X3. Perhaps if you were to call them and ask for the X3 part number, you could confirm it is the same part number as adapter from your 325.

Woody
11-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Well, let me answer my own post :) .

Yes it works. The X3 has the same cd changer wiring that has been used forever by BMW & as usual was hard to find the bundled up wiring under the front center console assy. :mad:

Right now I have more time than money (not to mention an old style iPod w/o dock connector) so I removed the whole front center console assy. & connected the Blitzsafe aux adapter to the cd changer wires & then ran my RCA cables up through the armrest assy. along with the phone pre-wiring for the eject box & can now access my iPod from the very top opening of the front center console armrest!! If I had a new style iPod & $150 (if they are even available-last time I checked there was a month backorder list-I would have installed the iPod connector from the rear of the radio to the glovebox & take advantage of the song title display. This will do for now.

Oh yeah, I also did another mod. too, I removed the stock airbox & installed a cone style K & N filter before the air mass meter.

2 mods done & it will be a week old tomorrow (Sunday). :thumbup:

andrewayre
01-23-2005, 11:05 AM
So, were you able to use the wires from the phone assembly to connect switchable power? If so can you tell me how to do it...? If not, any other suggestions for switchable power...?

Thanks!

Andrew

Well, let me answer my own post :) .

Yes it works. The X3 has the same cd changer wiring that has been used forever by BMW & as usual was hard to find the bundled up wiring under the front center console assy. :mad:

Right now I have more time than money (not to mention an old style iPod w/o dock connector) so I removed the whole front center console assy. & connected the Blitzsafe aux adapter to the cd changer wires & then ran my RCA cables up through the armrest assy. along with the phone pre-wiring for the eject box & can now access my iPod from the very top opening of the front center console armrest!! If I had a new style iPod & $150 (if they are even available-last time I checked there was a month backorder list-I would have installed the iPod connector from the rear of the radio to the glovebox & take advantage of the song title display. This will do for now.

Oh yeah, I also did another mod. too, I removed the stock airbox & installed a cone style K & N filter before the air mass meter.

2 mods done & it will be a week old tomorrow (Sunday). :thumbup:

Woody
01-23-2005, 11:55 AM
So, were you able to use the wires from the phone assembly to connect switchable power? If so can you tell me how to do it...? If not, any other suggestions for switchable power...?

Thanks!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

No. I just ran the RCA cables from the blitzsafe unit up along with the bundle of phone wires. I have to charge my iPod via the cigarette lighter.

andrewayre
01-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi Woody -

I found this link,

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=647451&postcount=12

tested the pin outs to make sure they were the same. Connected a radioshack accessory adapter and now have switched power in the center console. Just picked up the aux input from the dealer, which I'll run to the center console. Should have a pretty clean Ipod solution in the center console in the next day or so...

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

No. I just ran the RCA cables from the blitzsafe unit up along with the bundle of phone wires. I have to charge my iPod via the cigarette lighter.

Woody
01-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Andrew,

Cool! I would definetly like to see pics when you are done. Please list the radioshack part# that you are using.

andrewayre
01-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Andrew,

Cool! I would definetly like to see pics when you are done. Please list the radioshack part# that you are using.

Hey Woody -

No pics yet, but here's my post in another forum with part numbers, etc.:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1057480&postcount=16

Andrew