PDA

View Full Version : Messed up my new convertible top

bjsbuds
11-20-2004, 09:10 AM
I have had my 2004 330Cic for three weeks. I washed the car for the first time the other day and dried it with a chamois. Now my black top looks like it has tan fibers imbedded in the top. I have sprayed it off twice, but still looks terrible. What can I do to restore it to it's original black beauty?

Plaz
11-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Lint free microfiber cloth? That works on the "mouse fur" around my moonroof, which always gets linty from chamois wash mitts.

Or you could try one of those tape rollers made for getting pet hair off your clothes.

:dunno:

bjsbuds
11-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Tried the lint roller without success.

RJ
11-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I have had my 2004 330Cic for three weeks. I washed the car for the first time the other day and dried it with a chamois. Now my black top looks like it has tan fibers imbedded in the top. I have sprayed it off twice, but still looks terrible. What can I do to restore it to it's original black beauty?

How about using the vaccume cleaner with the soft upholstry brush attachmet. Should be able to suck off those tan fibres.

Take care of the hose and NOT scratch the paint!!!

Good luck. :)

BahnBaum
11-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Maybe try a heavy masking tape? I use that to get cloth fibers out of the sunroof seal.

Alex

Tanning machine
11-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Maybe try a heavy masking tape? I use that to get cloth fibers out of the sunroof seal.

Alex

Or a bristle brush and water?

I would guess they'll come out over time. Generally I woulnd't work too hard to get teh top dry--microfiber is good to get standing water off. Let the air do the rest.

rjcoston
11-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Or a bristle brush and water?

I would guess they'll come out over time. Generally I woulnd't work too hard to get teh top dry--microfiber is good to get standing water off. Let the air do the rest.

The material probably will eventually come off. If you use a bristle brush, use one of the soft ones made for use on convertible tops. Might also try really sticky duct tape.

bjsbuds
11-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Well, I have now tried duct tape and my vacuum cleaner's fabric brush. No luck. Actually the duct tape took off about 10%. I have Ragg Top cleaner on order and a bristle brush.

rjcoston
11-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Since your top is so new it is really holding onto those chamois fibers. The only other thing I can think of to try is possibly the hook side of some Velcro. Maybe that would attach to the fibers. Or possibly try "combing" the fibers to the top of the material when its dry with something like the bristle brush or maybe even a toothbrush, while continuing to vaccum the top. I'm just brainstorming here but I guess there is always the magnifying glasses with tweezers option (ouch). Good luck.

xspeedy
11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Would one of those one-way lint brushes work? The kind that have angled bristles to catch the lint?

I'm not sure if this is good on a convertible top, but this would probably be quite effective.

bjsbuds
02-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Tanning Machine, You were right. I purchased some quality microfiber towels, and after a couple of washings the top looks great. Whew, won't dry it again with an old chamois.

MarcZHP
02-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Tanning Machine, You were right. I purchased some quality microfiber towels, and after a couple of washings the top looks great. Whew, won't dry it again with an old chamois.

Drive it at 125MPH for 3 hours. :)

CascadeTelcom
03-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Read "Nicks unsolicited Cloth Top Tips and Tricks under stickies in this section. He is the top Doctor.