PDA

View Full Version : Am I Crazy?? Need Input

rsh
11-21-2004, 12:12 AM
I have a 2000 528i in Anthracite that I bought in February of this year. It has about 58,340 miles on it. It's been a great car so far. The only thing I regret is that I didn't negotiate premium wheels. It has 16" standard BMW alloy wheels. My dealer has another 2000 528i in Dark Blue with 17" Premium wheels and 61,549 miles on it. The list price is real close to what I paid for mine when I only had 48,000 miles on it. The dealer said that any time there's a trade that's dead even, there will be about a $3,000 loss on my part since they have to make a profit, etc. which I totally understand. I'm just wondering if this is worth it. I got a quote from a wheel place today for 17" non-BMW premium chrome wheels with new tires that came to $2k so the BMW premium wheels are probably worth more than this. The only other upgrades that this car has that mine doesn't have is a CD changer, heated seat and brand new tires again. Both cars have regular halogen lights and both are non-sport models.

Here's the link to the car with pics of the wheels. Does anyone know the value of brand new tires (I'm sure they're conti ) with these BMW premium 17" wheels?

http://kunibmw.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?page=preowned-inventory&InventoryId=712438

http://kunibmw.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?page=preowned-inventory&InventoryId=712438

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
RSH

M.Wong
11-21-2004, 02:45 AM
I am not sure what you are asking... You would consider trading in your car that has been trouble free for 9 months to get wheels, tires, a CD changer, and ass hot? Personally, I feel like buying a used car is a bit of a gamble, even if it's CPO, otherwise warranty covered, and even if you do your homework on the car's service history. I don't know that I would want to give up on a car that has shown me nine months of loyal service.

Also, if the sell price on this car is the same as what you paid, don't forget the loss of value of your car since it has more miles now. (Are you saying that nine months later your dealer will do a straight across the board trade plus $3000?)

If you did not pay cash, are you calculating your nine months of already made payments into the equasion?

Or is there more to it? Is something else important that this one has, like the color or auto vs manual?

Might they sell you the wheels from this blue car, and take yours as a partial trade?

Have you a good relationship with the parts department? Ask them to watch for customers who upgrade wheels and may be selling their old ones that you like better.

Check with your local BMW club in the event they have classifieds. You might find an enthusiast with some wheels they wish to sell. The Puget Sound BMWCCA has a message board with items for sale.

You can look at www.tires.com or www.tirerack.com for the cost of a new set of rubber. Continental Extreme Contacts in 235/45WR17 and 255/40WR17 are about $120 each plus shipping, mounting, and balancing. Dunlop SP Sport 2000Es are about $150 each, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ses are about $200 each.

GriMpY
11-21-2004, 03:06 AM
Those chrome wheels with tires are like $1k... You are smoking crack if you plan on trading in your car for some wheels... Those wheels do not look like BMW wheels at all... some aftermarket chrome wheels...

You can get a nice set of Chrome M Parallel reps on ebay 18" with tires for right around $1200 or so... You can get a cd changer for like $250 on eBay and your car is already pre-wired for it...

Don't DO it

equ
11-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Those chrome wheels with tires are like $1k... You are smoking crack if you plan on trading in your car for some wheels... Those wheels do not look like BMW wheels at all... some aftermarket chrome wheels...

You can get a nice set of Chrome M Parallel reps on ebay 18" with tires for right around $1200 or so... You can get a cd changer for like $250 on eBay and your car is already pre-wired for it...

Don't DO it

That's a great answer right there... Also I think those chromes look a bit ghetto.

rsh
11-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks all -- I love brutally honest answers and the replies of don't do it is what I figured as well. I definitely see the point about looking strongly at the 9 months of trouble free service. I had the car overheat about a 1-2 months after purchasing it where BMW service promptly replaced some T-stat part. They didn't even charge me the $50 deductible. The temp control buttons stuck where the previous owner obviously spilled coffee via the horrible cup holders. My dealer replaced the entire panel section for this area with all new buttons, etc. This was also done for free since I noticed this when I was negotiating the deal. Besides this, it's been maintenance and problem free.

OK, so.........any input on what wheels really look good on a 2000 528i non-sport model. I still think 16" looks awesome with the rubber coated with a nice cleaner that makes them shine. The 17" size definitely opens up with more options. I thought about the actual pair shown to the left of GrMpY's name. I also thought about a 5 spoke type of rim. There are various ones on tirerack.com. It's hard to say what rims really make the car pop.

Appreciate any more feedback on rims since a trade-in isn't worh it.

RSH

GriMpY
11-21-2004, 01:40 PM
The ones pictured next to my name are 19" BBS LM's. Those will run you almost $5k with tires but well worth it. Are you looking for high end rims or anything that looks nice? You can always go for the 18" M Parallel replica's which would probably only put you back $1200 or so with tires. The larger picture on my sig has 19" Hartge Classic replica's that cost less than $1800 with tires.

What are your preferences?

Size?
Chrome or silver or black?
Mesh or spokes?
Staggered or not?
rivets or no rivets?
High end wheels?
replica's?

M.Wong
11-21-2004, 05:26 PM
I like M-Parallels so much, I am happy to have them on both the E38 and E39!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/257000-257999/257557_67_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/206000-206999/206524_360_full.jpg

Wheel choice is personal. But yes, moving up frmo 16" to 17 or 18" makes a huge difference in the car's look. GriMpY's list of questions are very good and important considerations before you try to make a decision. For me, it was BMW OEM only for the E38. (The E39 came with the M-Pars.)

rsh
11-21-2004, 08:51 PM
The ones pictured next to my name are 19" BBS LM's. Those will run you almost $5k with tires but well worth it. Are you looking for high end rims or anything that looks nice? You can always go for the 18" M Parallel replica's which would probably only put you back $1200 or so with tires. The larger picture on my sig has 19" Hartge Classic replica's that cost less than $1800 with tires.

What are your preferences?

Size?
Chrome or silver or black?
Mesh or spokes?
Staggered or not?
rivets or no rivets?
High end wheels?
replica's?

OK, all good questions and here is my best guess at what I'm looking to get.
size = 17"
prefer simple silver painted even though I would consider chrome as long as it wasn't.....well, I guess the term is ghetto looking.
I'm not really sure what mesh is. I like spokes if there aren't too many which tends to make the wheel look like a fan. I like them with 5 spokes in general. Any more and the wheel looks fan like and too busy. I guess mesh would be a design other than spoke. I would consider a good look. Just not sure what that would be yet.
I would prefer no rivets. Definitely gives the wheel a cleaner look.
I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. I want each rim to run $200 or less. This is without tires. I'm not looking to break the bank so to speak.
Yes, I would consider replicas if they look good.

So.........any inputs now???

Oh, are there tire businesses that will take the original BMW alloy rims and take out the rock chips, burs, damage, etc. and repaint them again for a charge??? I thought about doing this until my budget grows a little more.

FYI: I like the look of MWong's wheels but I'm sure they are highend and I don't believe they come in 17" when I looked at tirerack.com. Seems like the simple 5 spoke on tirerack was the only thing available within my price range.

RSH

GriMpY
11-21-2004, 09:50 PM
M.Wong has the OE M Parallels. They have 18" staggered replica's of his wheels on eBay for $670 shipped which is right under your budget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7935094530&category=43958

Mesh rims are like the rims to the left of my name.

As far as getting your stocks refinished, I wouldn't recommend it since they usually run about $100-125 a rim. You might as well just get a new set.

rsh
11-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info -- great link.

The only remaining question is the size of these rims being 18" and the fact that my 528i is a non-sport model. I thought this size wouldn't look quite right since there would be a gap between the wheel and fender. The sport model of course lowers the body 1" which compensates for the wheel blending inside the fender better. This is why I thought 17" was a good compromise since they would give the car a sportier look and not look too bad with the gap not being quite as noticeable. They give a little more than the 16" but pretty close. I thought the 18" on the non-sport just didn't look right. Any thought on this?

The other point is with the ride getting more firm or not quite as comfortable as the rims get larger. I thought 17" rims would be a good compromise on this as well. The ride would be firmer than 16" but not as bad as 18" Any thoughts out there with the ride as the rims get larger? Of course, the cornering gets better with the larger rims.

I guess it's never easy.

RSH

Clarke
11-22-2004, 01:49 AM
If you go to the tirerack website you can get a look at different wheels on your car in the upgrade section(in your cars color even).When you have picked a style come on down to the tire/wheel/suspension forum and discuss what kind of rubber to get for your needs.Good Luck!:thumbup:

M.Wong
11-22-2004, 01:49 AM
If you keep the same outside diameter, you don't have to worry about the 'gap.'

Yes, 18s do have a bit less of a cushy ride than 16s, but not always in a bad way. I rather like the ride with the 18s (after taking the 16" basketweaves off the E38.) I also didn't feel 17s were enough of a step up to be worth the extra money.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/206000-206999/206524_63_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/206000-206999/206524_60_full.jpg

trav
11-24-2004, 09:11 PM
I had great success with The Wheel Exchange. Tons of replica rims to choose from at very affordable prices. I bought the 17" FM 66's for my 540i and they look sweet. The people there answered all my stupid questions and the shipping was totally fast.

Here's their store: http://stores.ebay.com/THE-WHEELEXCHANGE_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

rsh
11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
I had great success with The Wheel Exchange. Tons of replica rims to choose from at very affordable prices. I bought the 17" FM 66's for my 540i and they look sweet. The people there answered all my stupid questions and the shipping was totally fast.

Here's their store: http://stores.ebay.com/THE-WHEELEXCHANGE_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Thanks!!! I'll definitely check out the link.

Happy Thanksgiving!
RSH