PDA

View Full Version : e46 phone question

jklevine
11-21-2004, 08:48 PM
I just got a 2004 325ci and when I press the m/t button on the steering wheel it says phonebook on my radio display. Does this mean that I have all of the phone equipment in my car? I hae never seen another 3 have the phone functionality through the steering wheel. What do you think?

santiago
11-22-2004, 06:50 PM
I just got a 2004 325ci and when I press the m/t button on the steering wheel it says phonebook on my radio display. Does this mean that I have all of the phone equipment in my car? I hae never seen another 3 have the phone functionality through the steering wheel. What do you think?

Do you have a Bluetooth phone? You would have had to go through the pairing process so I don't see how you could have accidentally done this. This is curious.

Technic
11-22-2004, 07:03 PM

The phone set up will depend of the equipment your car has:

If your car have Assist, what you need now is a CPT9000 or a regular V60i phone, the cradle/ejectbox, a dealer programming session and you are set. If your car have Bluetooth you should have the pairing button under your amrest. If so, get a fully compatible BT phone (http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm) and good to go...

The fact that your radio is showing PHONEBOOK tells me that you have one of the two, and because it is a 2004 it is only one of the two...

3Aims
11-22-2004, 07:14 PM
so if you have one of the approved phones, can you use the bmw assist in the car to talk on the phone? like, hands free?

JonathanIT
11-22-2004, 07:59 PM
when I press the m/t button on the steering wheel it says phonebook on my radio display. Does this mean that I have all of the phone equipment in my car?
I have never seen an "m/t" button on a steering wheel. As far as phone controls, my steering wheel has an "R/T" (radio/telephone) button and below that a "speakerphone" button (which is an icon graphic of a face speaking).

If you have BMW Assist (which is included with prem. package), then the answer is yes.. .you do have phone built into your car, that is basically what Assist is: a dedicated cell phone to contact BMW Assist in emergencies or for roadside assistance. The "speakerphone" button on the steering wheel is the quickest way to access it (the other buttons are on the underside of your rearview mirror). If you have no other phone integrated to your car, when the "R/T" button is pressed you get a "Phone book is empty!" message and little other functionality. BTW, I have NAV so the messaging may be different on your dashboard radio display.

If you have Assist, you cannot have OEM bluetooth handsfree. The confilct with the integrated Bluetooth system and BMW Assist, from what I understand, is because the two need to use the same hardware prewired and installed in the car (speakers, mic, wiring, etc.). They haven't worked out a way to share between the two yet. Or am I behind on this? I dunno, I have the worst combo of all: Convertible, NAV, and Assist. Seems like I can't get anything (Sirius or Bluetooth!).

I just received my notice to extend my BMW Assist subscription, but seeing as how I have never used it, I don't think I will renew. Then maybe I'll rip it out and DIY a BT kit!

--Jonathan

jklevine
11-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Well I do not think I have vbluetooth as I have a 2004 325i with premium (assist). I also do not have the cradle so I was amazed as to why my display shows phonebook empty. I do know that just becasue one has bluetooth the phone doesnt work cause my dad has an 05 4.4 X5 and I cannot get the functionality to work with my nokia 3650 although I can make a call through the car that is all the functionality that happens and then it locks up the telephone function on tha nav screen.
I am trying to figure out if my 04 325i had something in it that would allow bluetooth without the pairing button (like an 05) possibly a test car for the new system or something?
I figure there has to be some reason why I have some of the functionality of the phone system. Thanks for all the comments now hopefully I can figure it out but I feel like the stealer will come up with some bs story or something.