PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose? why, explain

zerofighter
11-22-2004, 08:15 PM
My father pitched the idea of him buying the uberwagon off me in maybe a year. After driving my co-workers 996 C2, I am in love with porsches now. My question is: BoxsterS or 996 C2. Before you answer, here are some pros and cons. I am askingyou fellow 5er's for your opinion, because I value them higher.

BoxsterS:
around 55k+CAD
252hp/229tq
0-60 5.3 sec 13.9@100MPH 1/4mile

Pros-
-Cheaper, 8k+ cheaper
-Newer, 01-02+
-warrenty
-would be about to finance through porsche canada via 60/40 finance instead of -straight finance
-drop top!
-more options
-less kms

Cons-
-its a boxster....."for those people who can't afford the 911"
-not quite as quick as the C2
-more common, people will think I am having a mid-life crisis

Carrera (C2 = rwd)
around 65kCAD
300hp/258tq
0-60 4.9sec 13.5@105MPH 1/4mile

Pros-
-more power/torque
-seats 4, kinda...
-not everybody has one, not a mid life crisis car

Cons-
-costs more 8k+
-older 99
-warrenty will be scarce
-most likely would have to straight finance
-not a cab
-less options
-more kms

The performance stats aren't very far off, either would be great. But I would prefer to get the C2, but the price difference kind of scares me. I'm just doing some research for now...nothing final.....yet.

Opinions are always welcome.

markseven
11-22-2004, 08:25 PM
ZF,

A co-worker has a 993 Carerra S. Dang:thumbup: . Turbo bodywork. Again, Dang :thumbup: :thumbup: .

My vote is for the 993, in my opinion, the finest iteration of the 911. No offense to Boxster owners, but I think those are chick cars. I've driven the 993 Carerra S, and let me tell you, it was brilliant. That being said, I like my 540 better:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: . I think with a good launch, I could take the 993 (cause it's a few years old and need of a tune up :D )

-Mark

Auly's 99 540iA
11-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Well Zerofighter....
I think you should get the 996 over the Boxter for the same reasons you bought a 540 instead of a 528! Are you following me here...... SPEED! I vote 996!
Good luck....

SoCaLE39
11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
^^^^ my vote is for the 993 as well, you just cant go wrong with it! Great car!!! :thumbup:

Another thing is that the Boxster "s" imho is not as, how would i say this,.......MANLY!!!

justin

Niftster
12-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Your question reminds me of what many people debated about between the 928 and 924 and 944.

As a former Porsche owner and certifiable Stuttgart nutcase, I firmly believe the simpler the better. Coupes over convertables and that ugly arse Cheyenne thing. I would take a base Carrera over any of these other cars even if they were loaded.

Check out all the wierd things that Boxsters have shown up with. Something triggered my neighbor's car one night and the top retracted partly by itself in a frickin thunderstorm. Hard to believe but I SWEAR that happened.

Forget the options. Get the 996 without question.

Another opinion, if it is warrenty stuff you are worried about, and you want a 911, there is nothing wrong with some of the older cars. I don't know what kind of money you are willing to fork out, but for the price you stated you can get something a little more maintenance friendly with the same perfomance in an older low milage more vintage type car. It won't go down in value as much either. Finding one is a different story, but they do pop up from time to time.

The 911s were orignally made with the "useless back seats" to get around some stupid classification or restriction. They are useless.