PDA

View Full Version : Superchip software installed yesterday in my E39 540/6

Tahoe
11-23-2004, 03:32 PM
I haven't seen remarks about Superchip as a software alternative so I thought some might be interested. Jeff from Eurobahn was in town and downloaded a custom designed program into my '00 540/6 yesterday. It had to be custom designed in England over night because when he uploaded the information from my ecu to them they said that my car was outside of the O2 specs due to the very high altitude here in Tahoe (over 6200 ft.) I also have an AFE cold air intake that I installed last summer. I can't give you a lot of feed back on the program yet because it is too new. I haven't had a chance to drive it much and the software will adapt over the next few days as well but the combination of AFE intake and Superchip is supposed be amount to 18 - 20 hp and 15 -16 ft / lbs. gain. I can say that right away my idle is WAY smoother than it was, it pulls harder and smoother all the way up the rev range and I have more immediate throttle response. When I have the time to get down to Sac to have it dyno'ed I'll let you know the results but don't hold your breath. It may be a while.

Lscman
11-23-2004, 04:39 PM
I haven't seen remarks about Superchip as a software alternative so I thought some might be interested. Jeff from Eurobahn was in town and downloaded a custom designed program into my '00 540/6 yesterday. It had to be custom designed in England over night because when he uploaded the information from my ecu to them they said that my car was outside of the O2 specs due to the very high altitude here in Tahoe (over 6200 ft.) I also have an AFE cold air intake that I installed last summer. I can't give you a lot of feed back on the program yet because it is too new. I haven't had a chance to drive it much and the software will adapt over the next few days as well but the combination of AFE intake and Superchip is supposed be amount to 18 - 20 hp and 15 -16 ft / lbs. gain. I can say that right away my idle is WAY smoother than it was, it pulls harder and smoother all the way up the rev range and I have more immediate throttle response. When I have the time to get down to Sac to have it dyno'ed I'll let you know the results but don't hold your breath. It may be a while.

Did they raise the rev limiter?? I have heard some folks say the 4.4L motor will tolerate sustained rev'ing to 6700 RPM. I was thinking 6300 or so would be a safe number. Even if it offers no HP gains, the extra headroom is handy for short chutes between turns, avoiding a momentary upshift/downshift.

Sal329
11-24-2004, 07:11 AM
How does Superchip work on the BMW? I have a custom Superchip that was dyno tuned for my mustang and I gained 22rwhp with the tune.

Godsogd
11-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Hey Neighbor,

Looking forward to your results. I'd be curious to see if there's a Superchip for my poor lil 528iA down here in Carson.

brianmaslen
11-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey Neighbor,

Looking forward to your results. I'd be curious to see if there's a Superchip for my poor lil 528iA down here in Carson.

Hi, i'm thinking of having my 530i Superchipped here in the UK, they have a great reputation and seem to understand the process. I believe they do a 528 option but check their website www.superchips.co.uk and let me know how it goes please. :thumbup:

Sal329
11-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Ohh oops it looks like a totally different superchip company then the one for mustangs

Tahoe
11-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Yeah, the rev limiter is raised a couple hundred and the top end governor is removed. I like the feel of it so far.
I'm sure they offer a program for the 528. Contact Jeff at Eurobahn - http://www.eurobahn.us/pages/6/index.htm and tell him I (Kevin in Tahoe) sent you. I have his cell number at home if you want it. I met him at O-Fest this summer and ended up buying the AFE intake from him. He matched the BavAuto price for it and gave me a discount on the Superchip for buying the AFE from him. I asked him if he is ever in Tahoe so I could avoid having to send him my ecu or travel to Fremont CA for downloading and he said yes. He was here over the weekend so we uploaded the ecu info to England and they wrote the custom program for us to download the next day. I imagine he will be back up here at some time and would probably be willing to make the short trip to Carson after getting here from So.Cal. It may be a while before he is back but you should ask.
I think it is the same Superchip company as the one that makes a program for Mustangs and just about everything else. They make one for my motorhome (Ford 6.8 V10) but I don't want to use premium gas in it for max performance with the milage I get in that beast.

jun
11-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Yeah, the rev limiter is raised a couple hundred and the top end governor is removed. I like the feel of it so far.
I'm sure they offer a program for the 528. Contact Jeff at Eurobahn - http://www.eurobahn.us/pages/6/index.htm and tell him I (Kevin in Tahoe) sent you. I have his cell number at home if you want it. I met him at O-Fest this summer and ended up buying the AFE intake from him. He matched the BavAuto price for it and gave me a discount on the Superchip for buying the AFE from him. I asked him if he is ever in Tahoe so I could avoid having to send him my ecu or travel to Fremont CA for downloading and he said yes. He was here over the weekend so we uploaded the ecu info to England and they wrote the custom program for us to download the next day. I imagine he will be back up here at some time and would probably be willing to make the short trip to Carson after getting here from So.Cal. It may be a while before he is back but you should ask.
I think it is the same Superchip company as the one that makes a program for Mustangs and just about everything else. They make one for my motorhome (Ford 6.8 V10) but I don't want to use premium gas in it for max performance with the milage I get in that beast.

I have an 03 540 and ordered the AFE intake last summer. I can't make it fit and had to return it. How did you do it?

VollkommenWar
11-24-2004, 08:45 PM
What about "burning/wearing out the engine" as far as valves and internals. Any data on that? Not trying to rain, just curious as it was a rumor going around in general concerning chips.

Lscman
11-25-2004, 06:26 AM
What about "burning/wearing out the engine" as far as valves and internals. Any data on that? Not trying to rain, just curious as it was a rumor going around in general concerning chips.

The rumors you're hearing are all about turbocharged/supercharged cars. Some morons want "stupid" chip calibrations for Audi and some other marques & chip programmers have obliged. These chips remove or raise boost limiters beyond safe limits. These cars hold together for a while, but anyone holding the pedal to the metal for more than a few seconds risks engine failure.

The 540i motor has lots of "headroom" with respect to RPM. The 6K RPM limit is downright silly because the reciprocating assembly and cylinder heads are durable to over 6500 RPM. American pushrod V8's found in ponycars were set higher than 6K RPM 20 years ago. A normally-aspirated chip is safe, so long as safe RPM levels are not exceeded. The mixture is usually calibrated better than OEM...in many cases richer. This protects the pistons and valves compared to excessively lean OEM EPA calibrations.

VollkommenWar
11-25-2004, 01:42 PM
The rumors you're hearing are all about turbocharged/supercharged cars. Some morons want "stupid" chip calibrations for Audi and some other marques & chip programmers have obliged. These chips remove or raise boost limiters beyond safe limits. These cars hold together for a while, but anyone holding the pedal to the metal for more than a few seconds risks engine failure.

Makes sense. I used to own a Z28 a few years ago with the 300HP 5.7 (former secret svc car). I think it had one of the "stupid" chips or rather "programs" in it when I bought it. The valves didn't burn out but it would rev out over 6200rpm (too high for that engine) and then bang into second gear and nearly spin the whole car around (no shift kit or anything). I ran it hard. After a while the car would start bucking and spitting under acceleration. Turns out whoever programmed it b4 had it shifting way too high and hard. Blew the trans. They took it off and pieces were in the pan. :eek: Like you said, you have to know what you are buying and how to tune it if that applies.

Tahoe
11-29-2004, 03:56 PM
I have an 03 540 and ordered the AFE intake last summer. I can't make it fit and had to return it. How did you do it?
I am assuming you have the xenon headlight as I do. The transformer pushes just slightly on the side of the heat shield causing the mounting points to be pushed out of position just the smallest amount. I did have to modify the heat shield just a little to make it fit but all it amounted to was elongating a couple of the mounting holes by about a 1/4 inch. Then it fit just fine.

humanoid
11-30-2004, 02:52 PM
So....you've had some time to play with the car now since having the superchip software installed. How does it feel now vs. stock. I shot Jeff an e-mail.

Tahoe
12-01-2004, 10:15 AM
So....you've had some time to play with the car now since having the superchip software installed. How does it feel now vs. stock. I shot Jeff an e-mail.
Unfortunately, that is not the case. Thanksgiving with lots of company and a snow storm have conspired to keep me from really getting out and giving it a road test. Still smooth and strong around town though.

If you want a quick reply from Jeff give him a call: 818-381-6335. I believe that is his cell number and he usually picks up.

Speedfreak
12-02-2004, 08:22 AM
I shot Jeff an e-mail.

I read on your web site about the problems you had with the trans software after you modded the engine with a MAF and updated engine software from Dinan. Are you considering using engine software other than Dinan's? Do you feel safe that it won't cause any problems with your trans?

That's what I want to do. After reading your website I wondered if two different softwares for engine and trans would work together.

Thanks, Pat

humanoid
12-02-2004, 01:11 PM
I read on your web site about the problems you had with the trans software after you modded the engine with a MAF and updated engine software from Dinan. Are you considering using engine software other than Dinan's? Do you feel safe that it won't cause any problems with your trans?

That's what I want to do. After reading your website I wondered if two different softwares for engine and trans would work together.

Thanks, Pat

I don't think it would cause any actually damage and the shifting points should stay the same.

I just want to get through the gears faster :) If it doesn't work out, I can have the original software re-installed. I hoping that wont be necessary.

At stage 3 of Dinans goodies my car was a little quicker (0-80) then it is now but, not by much. The car would shift hard through the gears. That's where I mean quick. Espcecially the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Something with there engine software (stage 4&5) working with the maf is not quite right. Its close but, could be better. It's to bad as they make high quality products and sale them at a higher price then most.

This is why I'm looking to further improve the performance if my ride. I feel someone out there has to have a decent go fast software. Either Superchip, Powerchip or GIAC. I've heard many good things about GIAC in the 540.

I'm still waiting for Jeff @ Superchip to email me back.

Basically, I want a software that allows a custom tune via a dyno to grab all the ponys possible and to work with all my mods. From what I understand GIAC software does that and I'm not sure about the Superchip yet.

I will be going with the pulley kit from Evosport very soon. No crank pulley no fear.

Speedfreak
12-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks,
I think one of the tuners probably have done engine tuning to an automatic BMW with Dinan transmission software. I won't be going to stage 4 or 5 for a while. I want to do CAI, exhaust, trans software and engine software this spring. I would like to avoid doing Dinan software for the reasons you've stated.
Let us know when you get your pullys on and how you like them.

Tahoe
12-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Don't know if you guys noticed but the new BIMMER magazine has an article called something like "Dyno proving performance'. That's not it but you can find it. Anyway, they do some minor upgrades to an E46 M3 including a Superchip rendering good results. Not the same as my car but the same process with encouraging results.