PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best swirl remover?

Fifty_Cent
11-24-2004, 07:14 AM
3M dark colour swirl remover, Poorboys, or some other?

:dunno:
I need one asap.

TOGWT
11-24-2004, 08:45 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

3Ms Machine Polish (Rubbing Compounds):
Are used to remove surface imperfections and are formulated with lubricants, solvents and water, and abrasive 0.3-micron granules, which diminish with use providing a progressively finer abrasive polish that will burnish the paint surface and provide a gloss. They are buffered or cushioned in a rich, lubricating oil film, usually in a semi-liquid paste.

Available in many different grades (the ability to abrade i.e. to remove levels of paint) for detailing work they usually range from a 2000< grit polish (very mild) to a swirl mark remover (a medium abrasive) 1500 grit or a compound (various levels of abrasive) 1000 800 grit

a)3M Perfect-It III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound (8/10)
b)3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound (6/10)
c)3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (5/10)
d)3M Perfect-It II Swirl Mark Remover (For light coloured vehicles) (4/10)
(For dark coloured vehicles) (4/10)

a)3M Perfect-It 3000 Extra Cut Rubbing Compound
b)3M Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound
c)3M Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover
d)3M Perfect-It 3000 Final Glaze

3M Perfect-It 3000 released July 2004, represents a new line of VOC compliant compounds, glazes and swirl mark removal products that will meet the new VOC laws in the states of New England, California and Texas effective January 1, 2005.

Note:
Abrasive scale (least to most) i.e. 8/10

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Artslinger
11-24-2004, 10:45 AM
I prefer Groits machine polishes.

Weaselboy
11-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I like the Meguiars product.

jonw440
11-25-2004, 05:26 AM
I like the new Sonus SFX line of polishes.
SFX-2 is a great swirl mark remover.
Sonus SFX polishes (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+yc5RwM+sfx.html)

johnnygraphic
12-12-2004, 09:51 AM
I've read some good comments on Menzerna (mostly on the proper auto care website). Anybody with first hand use? I'm about to order some, but, if anyone has critical comments, I'd like to hear.

Thanks in advance!

Johnny

jonw440
12-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Been there done that. I found the Menzerna "Twins" work better with a Rotory than a PC.
Like I said I have tried, Menzerna, 3M,1Z, Meguiars, and Sonus is my favorite for removing swirls.
The Menzerna just didnt do much on my Wife's Grand Prix (Black) We were trading it in and I wanted to polish a few swirls off the hood. It took me three times with the IP and Orange pad,flowwoed by Green pad, then two times with the FP and Green pad to remove them.
The Sonus usually works the first or second time.
:thumbup:

johnnygraphic
12-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Been there done that. I found the Menzerna "Twins" work better with a Rotory than a PC.
Like I said I have tried, Menzerna, 3M,1Z, Meguiars, and Sonus is my favorite for removing swirls.
The Menzerna just didnt do much on my Wife's Grand Prix (Black) We were trading it in and I wanted to polish a few swirls off the hood. It took me three times with the IP and Orange pad,flowwoed by Green pad, then two times with the FP and Green pad to remove them.
The Sonus usually works the first or second time.
:thumbup:

Thanks!! I'll look into the Sonus!

Johnny

Alex Baumann
12-13-2004, 05:45 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

3Ms Machine Polish (Rubbing Compounds):
Are used to remove surface imperfections and are formulated with lubricants, solvents and water, and abrasive 0.3-micron granules, which diminish with use providing a progressively finer abrasive polish that will burnish the paint surface and provide a gloss. They are buffered or cushioned in a rich, lubricating oil film, usually in a semi-liquid paste.

Available in many different grades (the ability to abrade i.e. to remove levels of paint) for detailing work they usually range from a 2000< grit polish (very mild) to a swirl mark remover (a medium abrasive) 1500 grit or a compound (various levels of abrasive) 1000 800 grit

a)3M Perfect-It III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound (8/10)
b)3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound (6/10)
c)3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (5/10)
d)3M Perfect-It II Swirl Mark Remover (For light coloured vehicles) (4/10)
(For dark coloured vehicles) (4/10)

a)3M Perfect-It 3000 Extra Cut Rubbing Compound
b)3M Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound
c)3M Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover
d)3M Perfect-It 3000 Final Glaze

3M Perfect-It 3000 released July 2004, represents a new line of VOC compliant compounds, glazes and swirl mark removal products that will meet the new VOC laws in the states of New England, California and Texas effective January 1, 2005.

Note:
Abrasive scale (least to most) i.e. 8/10

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Agreed completely. If you have access to a polisher, 3M is the way to go.

rjcoston
12-13-2004, 07:53 AM
I like 3M's products.