PDA

View Full Version : X3 Assembly in Graz, Austria

dherzfeld
11-24-2004, 12:12 PM
The X3 is assembled in Graz, Austria by a BMW sub-contractor, not in a BMW owned facility. Has anyone experienced any fit/finish and other quality problems? The engines, transmissions, and other major sub-assemblies are likely built in BMW factories, so those pieces should be BMW quality. In my business, any time we sub out manufacturing there is an associated loss of some order of control.

Thoughts? :dunno:

andy_thomas
11-29-2004, 03:59 AM
The X3 is assembled in Graz, Austria by a BMW sub-contractor, not in a BMW owned facility. Has anyone experienced any fit/finish and other quality problems? The engines, transmissions, and other major sub-assemblies are likely built in BMW factories, so those pieces should be BMW quality. In my business, any time we sub out manufacturing there is an associated loss of some order of control.

Thoughts? :dunno:
The interior - at least of early cars - was roundly panned by the European press, considering the extreme prices being charged. I think there may have been some improvements since then, but the X3s I have tried felt very un-BMW, with generic interior parts that looked quite out of place (some of them look like GM bits - and Magna's facility also builds the Saab 9-3 convertible...). I don't think the quality of the *build* per se is in doubt, just the choice of parts bin. Of more concern is the terrible ride with "Sport" pack and big wheels, but that is certainly more of a personal opinion.

harplayr
12-02-2004, 12:51 PM

Thoughts? :dunno:This topic has been discussed before. I have over 15,000 miles on my X3, and can say without a doubt it is the BEST car I have owned even better than my BMW Built 325I that I traded in. I have had absolutely no problems with regard to build quality. I would say the quality control is as good if not better than at the German and USA BMW plants. :thumbup:

In regards to interior materials used, its a matter of preference. I personally like the X3 interior, it suits the rugged use I give it. A Lexus type interior would get trashed with what I do with this SUV. The materials used for the interior have nothing to do with the location of the manufacturing facility. It is purely a design choice made by the BMW design team.

LeucX3
12-02-2004, 01:24 PM
In regards to interior materials used, its a matter of preference. I personally like the X3 interior, it suits the rugged use I give it. A Lexus type interior would get trashed with what I do with this SUV. The materials used for the interior have nothing to do with the location of the manufacturing facility. It is purely a design choice made by the BMW design team.
I agree. The interior takes BMW back to the sporting, teutonic interiors that German cars were renowned for. This isn't an LAV (luxury activity vehicle), it's an SAV.

No doubt, the interiors in my 325i and 330Ci were top notch and i really liked them...but i felt like i was in a luxury car.

adc
12-07-2004, 12:00 PM
I agree. The interior takes BMW back to the sporting, teutonic interiors that German cars were renowned for. This isn't an LAV (luxury activity vehicle), it's an SAV.

No doubt, the interiors in my 325i and 330Ci were top notch and i really liked them...but i felt like i was in a luxury car.

I liked the X3 interior a lot. Clean, airy and with little clutter - and very good ergonomics. I am not a fan of the 5 series interior which IMO is at complete odds with a luxury car image (plus that second cowl that houses the NAV is the poster image of an afterthought feature).

But in the X3 the "sparseness" seems to work.

I for one welcome clean and simple interiors - again - in the BMW family.

adc
03 330 ZHP