PDA

View Full Version : proper weight of oil

mmpower
11-26-2004, 07:27 AM
I have a 1997 540i , 64,000 miles and I run mobile 1. My wife was driving the car in stop and go traffic in a blizzard here in Michigan the other day, she called me and said the oil lite was flickering and then it said stop engine low oil pressure, I got there and checked the oil maybe one quart low I added a quart of synthetic and all is fine. I maybe using the wrong weight of oil it is 10 30 mobil 1. Should I go to a 20-50 weight? Or do I have bigger problems? What is the recommended viscosity? Any help would be appreciated. It has been about 4 to 4,500 since an oil change

mottati
11-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I have a 1997 540i , 64,000 miles and I run mobile 1. My wife was driving the car in stop and go traffic in a blizzard here in Michigan the other day, she called me and said the oil lite was flickering and then it said stop engine low oil pressure, I got there and checked the oil maybe one quart low I added a quart of synthetic and all is fine. I maybe using the wrong weight of oil it is 10 30 mobil 1. Should I go to a 20-50 weight? Or do I have bigger problems? What is the recommended viscosity? Any help would be appreciated. It has been about 4 to 4,500 since an oil change

I think bmw would recommend their bmwlonglife synthetic 5/30 for your car. There should be a chart in your owners manual that lists appropriate oil for the expected ambient temp. I'd say 20/50 would be much too thick for blizzard conditions. I'd question if the oil pressure sensor is about to fail. being one quart low should not cause any issues with oil pressure.
Mike

mmpower
11-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Good thinking on your part I didn't think about the oil pressure sensor going bad, but the light did go off and not come back on again, she was driving very slow for a extended period in blizzard condtions, but I will have the sensor checked, thanks for your input.