PDA

View Full Version : Problems after washing?

konrad330xi
11-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Has anyone had problems with the engine running rough, or failing to start on the first try, for a few seconds after a wash?

This has happened the next day with both our rides (325xi and 330xi)...hand washed by me. And I thought I was rinsing gently (thinking top hood vent), but I must be wetting down an electrical connection somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Cliff
11-27-2004, 07:07 PM
I've never had any electrical problems after washing my car. By the way, the site guidelines for signature images is 100 pixels high by 600 pixels wide. Yours is 301x600 (and it consumes a significant portion of my screen).

konrad330xi
11-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Cliff. I thought I'd sized it right...I'll correct it.

kioneo
11-27-2004, 09:34 PM
I had a similar problem. It turns out it was easy to fix. I was staring the car (after it had sat cold for a while), moving it a few yards to the upper part of the driveway, turning it off, washing it, and starting it again to move it back to the lower part of the driveway.

In addition to rough idle, I would smell a distinct gas smell for a little bit after starting it the second time.

As it turns out, starting the car from cold, moving it a small amount, and starting it again a short while later causes the rough idle. The engine receives a large amount of fuel when it is cold to ensure it will start and if that excess fuel isn't burnt off, the second time you start it (and the computer still sees the engine as cold since it has never heated up enough), more fuel is added and now you have way to much for it to run smoothly. Once all the extra is burnt off, it should run fine...but that may take a few minutes.

I started at least driving my car around the block first and then parking it to wash it. Since I've done that, I've never again experienced the rough idle when starting it the second time.

konrad330xi
11-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Thanks, kioneo. Your theory makes sense. It particularly rings true because the one morning I had trouble starting the car after washing it, I swear it acted as if were flooded.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

breytonX5
11-28-2004, 06:19 AM
I've never had any electrical problems after washing my car. By the way, the site guidelines for signature images is 100 pixels high by 600 pixels wide. Yours is 301x600 (and it consumes a significant portion of my screen).
Uh, your avatar is cluttering my screen. It's size is 145 x 121 and it exceeds the limit of 120 x 90. Please resize it to the proper site guideline.

Cliff
11-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Uh, your avatar is cluttering my screen. It's size is 145 x 121 and it exceeds the limit of 120 x 90. Please resize it to the proper site guideline.
The site guidelines changed since I first uploaded it. In any case, I'm bored with it and deleted it. Thanks for noticing.

breytonX5
11-28-2004, 07:03 AM
The site guidelines changed since I first uploaded it. In any case, I'm bored with it and deleted it. Thanks for noticing.
Cliff, I was just kidding around. :D

Sorry to hijack this thread.