PDA

View Full Version : 2002 540i "Creaks" Loudly Inside

Mike Feder
11-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Hello and thanks to the Forum:

Recently picked up 2002 540i Sports Package. Love the car, but notice LOUD "CREAKING" at Low MPH, when turning into street or driveway or parking space.

I think it is coming from seat bases against leather. Don't mean to sound petty, but wondering if this is recurring problem. Let's just say it is annoying enough that I wanted to find out if this is common, if there is a remedy? Is this normal?

Thanks to all in advance.

Mike

jvr826
11-29-2004, 09:49 AM
If it's coming from the seat and it sounds like a creak, not a click, could be leather on plastic. If so, I've read of people using vaseline to quiet this. I'd probably try leather care first.

If it is mechanical/metallic, then u need to convince your service department to replace the seat base, not an easy task because the part is quite expensive and labor intensive. See the other thread 'does your driver seat click"

You can also just turn up the stereo and drown it out. :-) That was working for me for a couple years.

markseven
11-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Hello and thanks to the Forum:

Recently picked up 2002 540i Sports Package. Love the car, but notice LOUD "CREAKING" at Low MPH, when turning into street or driveway or parking space.

I think it is coming from seat bases against leather. Don't mean to sound petty, but wondering if this is recurring problem. Let's just say it is annoying enough that I wanted to find out if this is common, if there is a remedy? Is this normal?

Thanks to all in advance.

Mike
If the sound is coming from the passenger side, it may be the first aid kit's plastic cover rubbing against the seat base or thigh support.

-Mark

Mike Feder
11-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks Jeff,

By the way, I ABSOLUTELY have that "CLICKING" noise that you reference in the drivers 540i sports seat. It happens occassionally when driving slowly and making a turn into a street or parking spot, or even coming to a semi-abrupt stop. I completely recognize the click noise you reference, and should respond to your email!

I hope I do not have to use vaseline...but it is for sure in the seat base, but also in the door panels to some extent...it just seems to reverberate everywhere, almost like an old rocking ship creaking back and forth...very strange, and I'm not exaggerating...my wife hears it loud and clear, and she drives an Acura.

I have an appointment Saturday AM at BMW Service, and will update you after I try to remedy both of these situations.

Thanks,

Mike

If it's coming from the seat and it sounds like a creak, not a click, could be leather on plastic. If so, I've read of people using vaseline to quiet this. I'd probably try leather care first.

If it is mechanical/metallic, then u need to convince your service department to replace the seat base, not an easy task because the part is quite expensive and labor intensive. See the other thread 'does your driver seat click"

You can also just turn up the stereo and drown it out. :-) That was working for me for a couple years.