PDA

View Full Version : 540 front M-tech bumper

540 M-Sport
11-29-2004, 01:37 PM
On the USA 03 540 sport with the M-tech bumper, are the front brake ducts functional? I have a 01 540 M-Sport (canadian with M-tech bumpers) and they are functional. I have heard internet rumors that the USA BMW's (at least the X5) that they do not have functional brake ducts to the front discs for "liability" reasons. Something about in rain the first application may not get immediate results as the discs will be wet...I HAVE noticed this in the rain...but seems a worthwhile trade off for cooler brakes when driving "spirtedly" and reduce the incidence of warped rotors.

E39spd
11-29-2004, 08:57 PM
On the USA 03 540 sport with the M-tech bumper, are the front brake ducts functional? I have a 01 540 M-Sport (canadian with M-tech bumpers) and they are functional. I have heard internet rumors that the USA BMW's (at least the X5) that they do not have functional brake ducts to the front discs for "liability" reasons. Something about in rain the first application may not get immediate results as the discs will be wet...I HAVE noticed this in the rain...but seems a worthwhile trade off for cooler brakes when driving "spirtedly" and reduce the incidence of warped rotors.My friend's 03 US spec M3 had one of the ducts blocked, when he asked the service center, they told him it was due to rain issues like you said, needless to say, he popped the other one out as he only drives it in the dry, nice to have two cars :). But you are right, some of the US spec cars have them blocked??

Andy
11-29-2004, 09:02 PM
My friend's 03 US spec M3 had one of the ducts blocked, when he asked the service center, they told him it was due to rain issues like you said, needless to say, he popped the other one out as he only drives it in the dry, nice to have two cars :). But you are right, some of the US spec cars have them blocked??
The brake ducts on the 330i ZHP aren't blocked, but then again, there's a dust shield the size of Texas behind the rotors that block 99% of the air flow. :dunno:

GUY540
12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
On the USA 03 540 sport with the M-tech bumper, are the front brake ducts functional? I have a 01 540 M-Sport (canadian with M-tech bumpers) and they are functional. I have heard internet rumors that the USA BMW's (at least the X5) that they do not have functional brake ducts to the front discs for "liability" reasons. Something about in rain the first application may not get immediate results as the discs will be wet...I HAVE noticed this in the rain...but seems a worthwhile trade off for cooler brakes when driving "spirtedly" and reduce the incidence of warped rotors.

I have an '03 540i with M-Technic bumper installed by the Dealer. Both ducts were blocked. However, when Dinan installed my CAI, they removed the plastic piece that blocts the ducts.

I have driven the car in heavy rain and have not experienced any prblem with the brakes.

Hope this helps,
Guy

540 M-Sport
12-02-2004, 10:39 AM
I have an '03 540i with M-Technic bumper installed by the Dealer. Both ducts were blocked. However, when Dinan installed my CAI, they removed the plastic piece that blocts the ducts.

I have driven the car in heavy rain and have not experienced any prblem with the brakes.

Hope this helps,
Guy

Thanks Guy,
So there is some truth to the story then (about the USA cars having the ducts blocked) I have driven in some of Seattle's torrential rain storms...and was caught off guard for moment entering a freeway exit and touching the brake and ...Nothing! Then, 2 seconds later they "caught" and grabbed fine. Just surprised me,...but it was a pouring rain day...and I recalled when I last had the front wheels off, the brake ducts..and it dawned on me what was happening. My car is a Canadian version, and the ducts are not blocked.