PDA

View Full Version : HELP! '97 540i sport automatic antifreeze leak (see pic)...

bnhtown
11-29-2004, 02:56 PM
I have a '97 540i. I replaced the Expasion Tank due to a crack and thought I had the problem fixed but a few days later the check Coolant Level warning came on again. I didn't see any issues so let the car run in idle for a while and looked underneath for any additional leaks and - WOW, found it. Please see the following link and advise what you think is the problem here, obviously the hoses are a problem but I don't know what these are called and where they go... thanks to all that respond. Bhttp://www.razortechnologies.net/P1010056.JPG

Tyrone
11-29-2004, 05:27 PM
I have a '97 540i. I replaced the Expasion Tank due to a crack and thought I had the problem fixed but a few days later the check Coolant Level warning came on again. I didn't see any issues so let the car run in idle for a while and looked underneath for any additional leaks and - WOW, found it. Please see the following link and advise what you think is the problem here, obviously the hoses are a problem but I don't know what these are called and where they go... thanks to all that respond. Bhttp://www.razortechnologies.net/P1010056.JPG

I'm a little disoriented in that picture, but it appears to be the heater hoses at the firewall. Not too expensive to fix. You don't see that one as much, but I'd replace them just as often as you'd do a water pump or thermostat (or even radiator!) on these cars.

bnhtown
11-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Should have been more descriptive... I took the pic laying down on the driverside of the car right behind the left front wheel. If it is the heater hoses, could I replace them myself if I can get the car raised or would you suggest I take it to a repair shop? Thx again for the comments....

Tyrone
11-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Should have been more descriptive... I took the pic laying down on the driverside of the car right behind the left front wheel. If it is the heater hoses, could I replace them myself if I can get the car raised or would you suggest I take it to a repair shop? Thx again for the comments....

I think you should be able to do them yourself.

64 21 8 391 005
64 21 8 391 017
64 21 8 367 929
64 21 8 391 013

Those are the parts. You may as well replace them all at once since they are inexpensive. I haven't done the job myself to provide any further input. Be sure to properly bleed the system after you are done.

dagoo98
11-30-2004, 07:04 AM
just as a heads up, when I replaced my expansion tank, shortly thereafter I had to replace my water pump, and afetr that I needed to replace my aux. water pump. You may want to do as much work to the cooling system at one time so you can save time as well as money on antifreeze that continues to leak out.

bnhtown
12-02-2004, 10:10 PM
You were right - only had to replace the heater hoses, getting to them was the toughest part but did it under 2 hours. Thx for the help - let's see how long til I have to look at the water pumps and thermostat. Thx again.

Tyrone
12-03-2004, 12:57 AM
You were right - only had to replace the heater hoses, getting to them was the toughest part but did it under 2 hours. Thx for the help - let's see how long til I have to look at the water pumps and thermostat. Thx again.

Great! Under 2 hours, not bad at all

fricas
12-13-2004, 01:41 PM
In your shoes, I'd go to the service. My mom's got the same problem with her '98 528i.