PDA

View Full Version : 5-Series automatically disables Dynamic Stability Control and ABS

msbrown
11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
[from the Usenet "Computing Risks" Digest]

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:59:42 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time)
Subject: BMW series 5 disables Dynamic Stability Control and ABS

After two accidents involving police cars of Berlin, Germany, at first the
drivers were blamed and appointed to a security training. But taking into
consideration the driver's nearly identical reports, which claimed that the
cars on-board drive dynamic control systems had failed, BMW took on and
inspected the case. The result was: Yes, after an emergency brake exceeding
a certain preset pressure on the pedal, all stability systems are disabled
and can only be re-enabled by switching off the ignition for five seconds...

Originating report (German only):
http://www.daserste.de/plusminus/beitrag.asp?iid=254

Follow-Ups (German ditto):
http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=7348
http://www.autoservicepraxis.de/sixcms4/sixcms/detail.php?id=81192&_topnavi=32454&_zielcb=

Modzilla's_5er
12-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Sehr Interessant!! I spent the past 3+ years as a DoD Civ. Contractor based out of Mannheim. Believe me when I tell you there is plenty of high demand braking required on the Autobahn. They don't believe in using blinkers BEFORE executing lane changes. They act as if once the blinker is engaged it creates an invisible forcefield around their car. Many are sadly mistaken and find themselves draped under a sheet.

Tahoe
12-01-2004, 11:09 AM
[from the Usenet "Computing Risks" Digest]

... The result was: Yes, after an emergency brake exceeding
a certain preset pressure on the pedal, all stability systems are disabled
and can only be re-enabled by switching off the ignition for five seconds...
[/url]

Does that mean that if I exceed a certain pressure peramater all of the stability systems, including ABS, will shut down? If so, isn't that just a bit contrary to both the intension and the promotion of those systems?

DZeckhausen
12-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Does that mean that if I exceed a certain pressure peramater all of the stability systems, including ABS, will shut down? If so, isn't that just a bit contrary to both the intension and the promotion of those systems?I find this a little difficult to believe. It would certainly be easy to test, if it were true. And one would think a service action would occur pretty darned fast with a software update to fix the glitch.

I've passed the article over to the engineers at StopTech who have, in turn, passed them along to a lead engineer at Delphi Automotive who designs ABS and stability control systems for GM. They are looking into it and their preliminary conclusion is that the report is based on bad data. More details to follow as we learn more.

msbrown
12-02-2004, 10:18 AM
[Translated from German to English via AltaVista Babelfish]

"The BMW speaker granted however that the loss could actually occur. With a braking force of over 120 kilopond ABS and DSC actually switched off after the braking, which the warning lamps would indicate. As soon as one switches the ignition off however, waits five seconds and switches her on then again, also ABS us is DSC again fully functional. A recall is not therefore in the discussion (san)"

120 kilopond == 1177 newtons == 264 pounds of force (pound-force)

You have to stomp the brake really hard to set this off.....