PDA

View Full Version : Dinan or Jim Conforti CAI

Modzilla's_5er
12-01-2004, 05:06 AM
I am considering a CAI as the 1st of many mods on my lil' 5er.
I would greatly appreciate any opinions on which to go with.
Thanks in advance,
:D

jvr826
12-01-2004, 07:49 AM
I am considering a CAI as the 1st of many mods on my lil' 5er.
I would greatly appreciate any opinions on which to go with.
Thanks in advance,
:D

Give serious consideration to the Benfer Performance CAI. I have one on my 530 and love it. Easy to install with a buddy's help, great workmanship, and it definitely helps imporve throttle response on my car. And the sound at WOT is beautiful!

Benfer Performance CAI for I6 E39 (http://www.benferperformance.com/main.pl?sid=5916737365&page=pitem-bmw&product=BMW-E39-CCAI)

If you want a low-buck mod that will improve handling and take an hour or less to install, get the M5 rear anti-sway bar, especially if you have the factory sport package.

humanoid
12-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Get the Benfer!

Modzilla's_5er
12-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Give serious consideration to the Benfer Performance CAI. I have one on my 530 and love it. Easy to install with a buddy's help, great workmanship, and it definitely helps imporve throttle response on my car. And the sound at WOT is beautiful!

Benfer Performance CAI for I6 E39 (http://www.benferperformance.com/main.pl?sid=5916737365&page=pitem-bmw&product=BMW-E39-CCAI)

If you want a low-buck mod that will improve handling and take an hour or less to install, get the M5 rear anti-sway bar, especially if you have the factory sport package.

Roger That! And is there any recommended performance software to go with it that is "must have"? (I realize the link doesn't mention it as a necessity)I sorta wanna take baby steps and feel the benefit from each add on. So I was thinkin maybe on getting the CAI then run it for a while like that before tuning the ECU. Or is that wrong?

Great input, yes I was also considering the 17mm swaybar offered by Dinan. But Lowbuck in this case sounds like it could be a good route. Is there any place to buy the M5 sway bar below dealer retail, and will I need any additional bushings or hardware?

Thanks Again,

(Sorry if I sound like a total Noob)

mottati
12-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I had the confortti cai and software on my previous 98 528, it made a noticable difference. Their dyno curves on the website ( i think it's www.sharked.com) show nearly 30hp with the cai and software, iirc. I was impressed.
Mike

jvr826
12-01-2004, 07:52 PM
On the sway bar, I ordered from Pacific BMW and also got the matching bushings, which u also need to get. As I recall the whole setup was about $125 delivered. I have a buddy in the Marines who had access to an auto hobby shop so we went there one afternoon, got the car up on a lift and did the rear sway and Rogue Engineering tranny mounts. Both mods are worth it. So there, now u have another one to do. :-)

On the software. I have looked into this a little bit and found out that my car cannot be "sharked" or have it's software replaced. Perhaps your 2k model will allow it. I see that Dinan offers a software upgrade for your car, so maybe the others do as well. For the E39 530, Dinan says...
<quote>
BMW detonation control systems, high speed engine management computers and sophisticated "adaptations" have left no horsepower for we tuners to extract; as much as we hate to admit it!
</quote>

Some people disconnect the battery for 15 minutes (effectively resetting the computer) to get a fresh start after a performance mod. I didn't do it, I just drove it like I stole it for a while, er, uh, since I put the CAI in I guess. :D I love it!!

You can spend a grand or less on a few things that will make your driving experience all that much better. Short shift kit, CAI, sway bar, Sylvania Silver Star headlight bulbs (or high beams if u have xenon lights).

Hang around here long enough and you'll have a laundry list of items to buy.