PDA

View Full Version : ZHP 6MT Shifting - Is this Normal?

wheel-man
12-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Just noticed over the past few days that whenever I put the car into either 1st or 2nd, there's kind of a mechanical resistence/notchiness to the action of the transmission...

anyone else have this problem? is this secondary to the 'short-shifter'?

missing23
12-01-2004, 07:07 AM
Just noticed over the past few days that whenever I put the car into either 1st or 2nd, there's kind of a mechanical resistence/notchiness to the action of the transmission...

Normal BMWness...

Moderato
12-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Normal BMWness...

I think so too. I don't have the ZHP but I do have the same 6MT in my 04 330i. I have about 9K miles on the car now and the tranny has loosened up a bit and is less clunky then when new, but I've also gotten much better at operating the car now. For example when the car is cold and I first start driving away slowly while it warms up, the first 3 shifts or so the rpms will take forever to drop when I step on the clutch and I have to adjust the way I use the clutch and shifter, but after a few shifts once I get going the rpms drop normally and then it's business as usuall. I'm pretty close to trying the CDV delete. There is a local independent shop that will remove it for pretty cheap. But yes, the MT does have a very mechanical feel when engaging the gears. Although if I'm shifting at higher rpms and time my shifts perfectly it will snick into gear very easily and smoothly. 1st, 2nd & 3rd have more of a mechanical feel then 4th, 5th and 6th though.

wheel-man
12-01-2004, 08:07 AM
I think so too. I don't have the ZHP but I do have the same 6MT in my 04 330i. I have about 9K miles on the car now and the tranny has loosened up a bit and is less clunky then when new, but I've also gotten much better at operating the car now. For example when the car is cold and I first start driving away slowly while it warms up, the first 3 shifts or so the rpms will take forever to drop when I step on the clutch and I have to adjust the way I use the clutch and shifter, but after a few shifts once I get going the rpms drop normally and then it's business as usuall. I'm pretty close to trying the CDV delete. There is a local independent shop that will remove it for pretty cheap. But yes, the MT does have a very mechanical feel when engaging the gears. Although if I'm shifting at higher rpms and time my shifts perfectly it will snick into gear very easily and smoothly. 1st, 2nd & 3rd have more of a mechanical feel then 4th, 5th and 6th though.

thanks for alleviating some anxiety... i've noticed it when it's been cold only.

what's is the CDV?

brybarrett
12-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Clutch delay valve. Do a search, lot's of people are removing this intrusive piece of crap, for better clutch response! :thumbup:

shizat63
12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
The first thing I plan to do when I take delivery is ditch the CDV. The 2nd thing is to swap the 'lifetime' trans fluid for Redline D4 ATF. In my 325 it made a huge difference in shifting, especially into 1st or 2nd or when cold.

Ashe too
12-01-2004, 10:40 AM
I've had that in all three E46s I've had. It's a little more exagerated in zhp cars because of the increased effort required by the shorter throw of the lever.

MMME30W
12-01-2004, 04:31 PM

Dunno about yours, but at 10.4K mine loosened up nicely. Yes still get a little mechanical resistance but can do very smooth shifts now. Standard OEM fluid.

woohoo
12-01-2004, 08:03 PM
I have 22,000 miles. The shifter is VERY smooth now. Hardly any of the notchiness mentioned above--even on cold days. Before 1 out of every 3 shifts from N->1 was notchy, now it is like 1 out of every 7. Shifting is more pleasant than ever. :)

Artslinger
12-02-2004, 05:25 AM
You live in Michigan... wait until below zero weather... second gear changes will become even more heavy.