PDA

View Full Version : Do you lean your head on the headrest ? Also,I've noticed new cars headrests have ...

AF
12-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one that actually uses the headrest to rest my head on when driving ?

I find I use it alot but most people I ask say they never rest there head on it.

The reason I bring this up is that I've noticed that on newer cars the headrest is closer to the driver's head and when I sit back in the seat my head is almost pushed forward sorta speak ... I understand that it is much safer which is why car manufacturers are doing this but I find it uncomfortable ...

tgravo2
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I never rest my head on it

Andy
12-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Yes, I tilt the headrest all the way forward and use it to rest my head on while driving.

cantona7
12-02-2004, 11:43 AM
I want to rest my head, but find that I actually feel less comfortable if I do, so I don't. I'm also paranoid that I'll fall asleep if I rest my head.

bbkat
12-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I use it sometimes :dunno:

pseto
12-02-2004, 12:40 PM
i'm with cantona7, i may fall asleep if I put my head back.

Desertnate
12-02-2004, 01:00 PM
I want to rest my head, but find that I actually feel less comfortable if I do, so I don't. I'm also paranoid that I'll fall asleep if I rest my head.

Ditto...

Uncomfortable and high risk of going to sleep

AF
12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm surprised I am in the minority when it comes to this ... I would think that everyone uses it.

Andy
12-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Ditto...

Uncomfortable and high risk of going to sleep
I can understand the falling asleep thing (not an issue for me though, itís near impossible for me to fall asleep in a car even as a passengerÖ even when Iím trying to)Ö but any way, I donít understand the ďuncomfortableĒ thing. I think itís extremely comfortable and actually quite relaxing especially on long trips. Maybe itís how you guys have the headrest adjusted.

I have the sport seats (in my 330i), I have the headrest all the way down and tilted as far forward as it will go. Iím 6í-2Ē, so at this setting, the head rest makes contact on the upper part of my neck and the lower part of my head. If the headrest isnít just right, I agree, itís extremely uncomfortable.

We recently purchased a 5er (PP non SP) and the headrests in that car are 10x more comfortable then the ones in mine. Itís like having a big freakín pillow back there. :D

LmtdSlip
12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Dont use mine to rest my head. But I am too tall to do it even if I wanted to.

Its a safety device not a comfort and convenience feature :dunno:

AF
12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
I can understand the falling asleep thing (not an issue for me though, itís near impossible for me to fall asleep in a car even as a passengerÖ even when Iím trying to)Ö but any way, I donít understand the ďuncomfortableĒ thing. I think itís extremely comfortable and actually quite relaxing especially on long trips. Maybe itís how you guys have the headrest adjusted.

I have the sport seats (in my 330i), I have the headrest all the way down and tilted as far forward as it will go. Iím 6í-2Ē, so at this setting, the head rest makes contact on the upper part of my neck and the lower part of my head. If the headrest isnít just right, I agree, itís extremely uncomfortable.

We recently purchased a 5er (PP non SP) and the headrests in that car are 10x more comfortable then the ones in mine. Itís like having a big freakín pillow back there. :D
Congrats on the purchase .. .you've gotta post some pictures of it when you have time. The E39 5er headrests are awesome.

I find I need the headrest tilted as far back as possible and I feel if it's forward, it is pushing my head forward when in reality it isn't really doing that since I am leaning back but I guess I like to REALLY lean back ...

Plaz
12-02-2004, 02:00 PM
I never rest my head on the headrest (while driving).

I don't think I'd feel I was in a proper or safe driving position if I did. :dunno:

adrian's bmw
12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, I tilt the headrest all the way forward and use it to rest my head on while driving.

Likewise. :thumbup: And only in the sport seats. It doesn't feel the same without sport seats.

LeucX3
12-02-2004, 02:07 PM
I used to use it a lot when i drove long boring distances...like from Baltimore to Hampton, VA. Not anymore though...

BlackChrome
12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
That's exactly what I think they are there for: safety!

AF
12-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Dont use mine to rest my head. But I am too tall to do it even if I wanted to.

I've had this discussion before on another forum anout anohter car but in general, yes it is a safety device but it is also a comfort thing as well. If it weren't they would make them tilt, they would be fixed ...

Bronzee
12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
No, I'm normal like the rest of us... :D j/k

If I'm pissed off, i'll lean my head back and *sigh*

AF
12-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Check this out

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2004/pr111404.htm

Pretty interesting ... I better get used to the headrests sitting closer to the driver's head because this is definitely the direction all car manufacturers are going.

I've noticed on the New A6 I drove yesterday (BTW Great car:thumbup: ) and also when I sat in the E60 530i that the head restraits were definitely closer to the head.

doeboy
12-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Only if I'm parked and th seat is leaned back as if I'm gonna take a short nap or something. While driving, no.

I thought the head rests were supposed to be adjusted so they're close to your head at about ear level to help mitigate chances of whiplash in the event of a rear end collision?

machmeter
12-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Only if I'm parked and th seat is leaned back as if I'm gonna take a short nap or something. While driving, no.

I thought the head rests were supposed to be adjusted so they're close to your head at about ear level to help mitigate chances of whiplash in the event of a rear end collision?
Ditto. :confused:

TeeZee
12-02-2004, 04:59 PM

from the IIHS study AF-RX8 posted:

Importance of a good seat/head restraint: When a vehicle is struck in the rear and driven forward, the vehicle seats accelerate occupants' torsos forward. Unsupported, the occupants' heads will lag behind the forward movement of their torsos. This differential motion causes the neck to bend back and stretch. The higher the torso acceleration the more sudden the motion, the higher the forces on the neck, and the more likely a neck injury is to occur.

"The key to reducing whiplash injury risk is to keep the head and torso moving together," Lund explains. "To ensure they move together, a seat and head restraint have to work in concert to support an occupant's neck and head, accelerating them with the torso as the vehicle is driven forward following a rear impact. To accomplish this, the geometry of the head restraint has to be adequate, and so do the stiffness characteristics of the vehicle seat."

A head restraint should extend at least as high as the center of gravity of the head of the tallest expected occupant. A restraint also should be positioned close to the back of an occupant's head so it can contact the head and support it early in a rear-end crash.

"If a head restraint isn't positioned behind an occupant's head, it cannot support the head in a rear impact," Lund adds. "But good head restraint geometry by itself isn't sufficient. A seat also has to be designed so it doesn't rotate backward in a rear impact because this would move the head restraint away from the head. At the same time, a vehicle seat cannot be too stiff. It has to 'give' so an occupant will sink into it, moving the head closer to the restraint. The new evaluation criteria take into account both static restraint geometry and the dynamic performance of seats and head restraints together in tests."

cwsqbm
12-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Am I the only one that actually uses the headrest to rest my head on when driving ?

I never use it while driving. I've tried, but it doesn't feel right. Of course, the times I really want to is when I shouldn't, say after a full day of driving and I need a little help holding my head up (and my eyes open.)

kd2789mo
12-02-2004, 07:19 PM
from the IIHS study AF-RX8 posted:

Importance of a good seat/head restraint: When a vehicle is struck in the rear and driven forward, the vehicle seats accelerate occupants' torsos forward. Unsupported, the occupants' heads will lag behind the forward movement of their torsos. This differential motion causes the neck to bend back and stretch. The higher the torso acceleration the more sudden the motion, the higher the forces on the neck, and the more likely a neck injury is to occur.

"The key to reducing whiplash injury risk is to keep the head and torso moving together," Lund explains. "To ensure they move together, a seat and head restraint have to work in concert to support an occupant's neck and head, accelerating them with the torso as the vehicle is driven forward following a rear impact. To accomplish this, the geometry of the head restraint has to be adequate, and so do the stiffness characteristics of the vehicle seat."

A head restraint should extend at least as high as the center of gravity of the head of the tallest expected occupant. A restraint also should be positioned close to the back of an occupant's head so it can contact the head and support it early in a rear-end crash.

"If a head restraint isn't positioned behind an occupant's head, it cannot support the head in a rear impact," Lund adds. "But good head restraint geometry by itself isn't sufficient. A seat also has to be designed so it doesn't rotate backward in a rear impact because this would move the head restraint away from the head. At the same time, a vehicle seat cannot be too stiff. It has to 'give' so an occupant will sink into it, moving the head closer to the restraint. The new evaluation criteria take into account both static restraint geometry and the dynamic performance of seats and head restraints together in tests."
Active Head Restraints.

I keep them positioned that my head lightly rests on them. It took some getting used to, but now, I miss it when driving another vehicle. I also move them back slightly, away from contact, when wearing a cap.

cruztopless
12-02-2004, 08:45 PM
As the driver I never rest my head on the headrest. I do, however, like it to be close but not touching. As a passenger I use it a lot ... to rest. Sure is 100 times better then our Integra which has those dumb holes in the headrest. Sure isn't comfortable when I want to take a nap. :mad: :D

Mike@Modbargains
12-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Only time I use my headrest is if I am in traffic or stopped at a traffic light and wanna close my eyes for a few seconds while I am stopped. I'll lean back and rest my head to try and relax cause I hate traffic! But as far as normal driving goes, I find myself never using the headrest, but this is probably because I do not have it adjusted forward. If I put my head on the headrest, I can't see anything out my rear-view mirror since it is adjusted for my head being more forward.

Matthew330Ci
12-02-2004, 11:03 PM
they're not headrests, they're head restraints.

i don't lean against it because it's uncomfortable.

Pinecone
12-03-2004, 01:57 AM
they're not headrests, they're head restraints.

EXACTLY.

The biggest problem I see is that people do not adjust them properly. The major part of the head restraint should be positioned behind the middle of the back of the head, not down by the neck. It should be no more than a couple of inches behind the head. But if your head is resting against it, then you lose quick mobility of your head to look around.

Also you are more likely to NOT move your head to look around which is not a good thing.

It is funny (not really, more like scary) in the M3 how many people you can "sneak" up on since they are NOT looking around them. So anything that reduces your scan is not a good thing.

PABS
12-03-2004, 05:04 AM
Like he said they are head restriants not headrests....jeez people learn to use the tools at your disposal.

∑clyde∑
12-03-2004, 05:08 AM
I've had this discussion before on another forum anout anohter car but in general, yes it is a safety device but it is also a comfort thing as well. If it weren't they would make them tilt, they would be fixed ...

WTF?! The height and tilt adjustments make them better fits for more people if they are adjusted properly. That's like saying seat belts are a comfort thing. If they weren't, they wouldn't let them extend, they would be fixed.

jw
12-03-2004, 05:50 AM
I use the headrest all the time - tilted all the way forward. Having had surgery on my neck it really helps support the weight and provides some cushioning of the road. When shopping around for my latest car, this type of tilt-foward headreest was becoming a must-have. My CTS has it.

AF
12-03-2004, 06:11 AM
WTF?! The height and tilt adjustments make them better fits for more people if they are adjusted properly. That's like saying seat belts are a comfort thing. If they weren't, they wouldn't let them extend, they would be fixed.

Not you again !?!?

PABS
12-03-2004, 06:57 AM
I've seen people put the shuolder belt under their arm because they claim it's more comofortable. Obviuosly this defeats the purpose of the safety device called seat belt.

You can also make this argument for baby seats that are not belted in corrctly. Or how about just wearing tha safety glasses on your head.

Bottom line..use the safety device as it was intended.

AF
12-03-2004, 07:06 AM
So going on this basis ... what are you saying the Headrest/restraint is intended for ... only to prevent whiplash ?

And if so, then why are they made in a comforting manner in many cars ...

Andy
12-03-2004, 07:51 AM

I've seen people put the shuolder belt under their arm because they claim it's more comofortable. Obviuosly this defeats the purpose of the safety device called seat belt.

You can also make this argument for baby seats that are not belted in corrctly. Or how about just wearing tha safety glasses on your head.

Is comfort and safety mutually exclusive? Can a safety feature also provide comfort? What is comfortable for one person might not be for another.

The head rests / head restraints are primarily there for safety, I think everyone will agree on that, but they can also provide comfort without sacrificing the safety. So what are you trying to debate here? :dunno:

doeboy
12-03-2004, 08:45 AM
And if so, then why are they made in a comforting manner in many cars ...

Marketing? Instead of a "boring" safety device, marketers make it look like an extra feature by calling it a "comfort" device called a headrest instead? That and I don't think you'd want to have your head hit something that's not soft and cushiony in case it were to happen.

PABS
12-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Is comfort and safety mutually exclusive? Can a safety feature also provide comfort? What is comfortable for one person might not be for another.

The head rests / head restraints are primarily there for safety, I think everyone will agree on that, but they can also provide comfort without sacrificing the safety. So what are you trying to debate here? :dunno:

The point is that some safety devices are not comfortable, they wouldn't work if you did. Case in point, seat belts.

I don't like to shoulder belt cutting across the top of my shoulder, but I tolerate it for safety purposes.

As far as the head restraint they are there to prevent some one's hard head from snapping back in case of a collision and thus breaking their neck.

The proper way to adjust the headrest if to raise it and then tilted forward such that it is barely touching the back of your head. It is not meant to rest your head on it will driving.

∑clyde∑
12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
The point is that some safety devices are not comfortable, they wouldn't work if you did. Case in point, seat belts.

I don't like to shoulder belt cutting across the top of my shoulder, but I tolerate it for safety purposes.

In some cases, it depends on the car/driver combination. The belts in the Touring and the RX-8 are not uncomfortable at all. They don't dig in in an annoying manner or anything. The 89 Buick LeSabre with the belt anchors in the door, OTOH...the "shoulder" portion rubs the side of my face/neck as it's a couple inches away from my body by the point where it would get to my shoulder. The lap portion on the door side would do little to restrain me before sliding a good bit in that direction.

I still do not understand how those "passive restraint" type belts (door mounted) were ever allowed to be produced. The safety they would appear to offer in a collision seems significantly worse than the regular 3 point belts that were anchored in the proper location that came before the asinine federal passive restraint regulation that allowed passive belts to be used in lieu of airbags took effect and get in the way so much (particularly when looking over your left shoulder) that I wouldn't be surprised if some people that would have otherwise worn belts didn't use those.

AF
12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
It is not meant to rest your head on it will driving.
I would like to know where you are getting this information from ... where is it written that the headrest is not to rest your head on ... seriously, do you have a link or something to prove this because I think you are definitely wrong.

Pinecone
12-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Not MEANT to be, doesn't mean you can't use it so.

My problem is, that when you head is resting like that, you aren't likely to move your head to look around. Coupled with improper mirror adjustment, means that you do not have a clear picture of what is going on around you.

PABS
12-03-2004, 10:22 AM
I would like to know where you are getting this information from ... where is it written that the headrest is not to rest your head on ... seriously, do you have a link or something to prove this because I think you are definitely wrong.

It is obviuos you haven't been well informed about such things...so no more discussion with you :thumbdwn:

AF
12-03-2004, 10:49 AM
It is obviuos you haven't been well informed about such things...so no more discussion with you :thumbdwn:
Huh ?!?!

3LOU5
12-06-2004, 12:12 PM

I find I use it alot but most people I ask say they never rest there head on it.

The reason I bring this up is that I've noticed that on newer cars the headrest is closer to the driver's head and when I sit back in the seat my head is almost pushed forward sorta speak ... I understand that it is much safer which is why car manufacturers are doing this but I find it uncomfortable ...

No, because my hair ends up with a funny indentation on the back. "Headrest head", if you will, hehe. :D

I know, I know. Pretty vain..... :rolleyes:

Oscswa
12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Did someone say they wanted pic's of the 5er headrest? I have the comfort seats, sorry for the bad pic's.

Does anyone know if the 5 and 3 series headrests are interchangable?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250885_50_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250885_51_full.jpg

MG67
12-13-2004, 07:18 PM

The reason I bring this up is that I've noticed that on newer cars the headrest is closer to the driver's head and when I sit back in the seat my head is almost pushed forward sorta speak ... I understand that it is much safer which is why car manufacturers are doing this but I find it uncomfortable ... I find myself resting my head there during some drives and when my wife...:D :p

AF
12-14-2004, 04:32 AM
Did someone say they wanted pic's of the 5er headrest? I have the comfort seats, sorry for the bad pic's.

Does anyone know if the 5 and 3 series headrests are interchangable?

Those definitely look further forward (towards the drivers head) but they also look really comfortable ... what makes you want to change them to 3 series headrests ?

FenPhen
12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
My problem is, that when you head is resting like that, you aren't likely to move your head to look around. Coupled with improper mirror adjustment, means that you do not have a clear picture of what is going on around you.I keep the headrest very close to my head, but ultimately, when I'm driving in non-cruise mode, my head naturally hovers just a little away from it so I can look over my shoulder and move my body into turns and so forth. And also what Pinecone said.

If I'm driving for a long distance on the highway or am stopped waiting in neutral, I'll rest my head on the headrest. I'm 6'0" and have the headrest extended pretty much all the way out, which looks funny, but it is centered on the back of my head.

Oscswa
12-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Those definitely look further forward (towards the drivers head) but they also look really comfortable ... what makes you want to change them to 3 series headrests ?

I was just curious. I thought it would make a good option for those looking for head and neck support on the 3 series.

Also a friend from out of town has a 3 series and liked my headrests and asked me if they were interchangable? :dunno: